Finding my old man a Jeep. Is this one too good to be true?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
He bought a TJ in 97 and drove it into the ground. Finally gave it up in 2013 and missed it ever since (especially since I bought my first one in 2019, ya know, jealousy and all).

With jeep prices the way they've been lately, this one seems like a steal, and I want to make sure I find him something stock since he's not gonna wheel it and isn't much of a mechanic, so I don't wanna worry about inheriting someone's shitty build. But wanted to get the community's thoughts on it before we go look. Link below:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/296253492252047/
I honestly can't see anything wrong from the photos, besides that diamond plate on the tub that could be hiding some rust. But is there anything I should be on the lookout for if we go check it out? Things to test? It's been a while since I was shopping for mine and I could use a refresher.

Thanks!

He bought a TJ in 97 and drove it into the ground. Finally gave it up in 2013 and missed it ever since (especially since I bought my first one in 2019, ya know, jealousy and all).

With jeep prices the way they've been lately, this one seems like a steal, and I want to make sure I find him something stock since he's not gonna wheel it and isn't much of a mechanic, so I don't wanna worry about inheriting someone's shitty build. But wanted to get the community's thoughts on it before we go look. Link below:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/296253492252047/
I honestly can't see anything wrong from the photos, besides that diamond plate on the tub that could be hiding some rust. But is there anything I should be on the lookout for if we go check it out? Things to test? It's been a while since I was shopping for mine and I could use a refresher.

Thanks!
The way you can tell there is a lot more rust than perhaps you want to deal with is given in at least 3 places. The two pics of the underside show fresh paint with no masking of bolts or body mounts plus the bubbling at the edges of frame openings. The second glaring clue is the mention of swapping out brake lines for SS. That means the OEM ones rusted to crap and failed.

That and you can see some bubbles of rust inside the frame. I'd inspect in person and get my head under it.
1627565104903.png

For the price and mileage, something is definitely wrong with it. I see internal rust covered up. I'd check it out in person anyway.
p.s. Mrblaine beat me too it.

The way you can tell there is a lot more rust than perhaps you want to deal with is given in at least 3 places. The two pics of the underside show fresh paint with no masking of bolts or body mounts plus the bubbling at the edges of frame openings. The second glaring clue is the mention of swapping out brake lines for SS. That means the OEM ones rusted to crap and failed.

That and you can see some bubbles of rust inside the frame. I'd inspect in person and get my head under it.
View attachment 267985
See, that's why I asked! Would you consider this to be dealbreaker rust or just something to be wary of? I know a lot of these can have some scaling near the frame holes but knowing that the brake lines probably rusted through kinda freaks me out. Seems like it may end up an uphill rust chasing battle that isn't worth it.

See, that's why I asked! Would you consider this to be dealbreaker rust or just something to be wary of? I know a lot of these can have some scaling near the frame holes but knowing that the brake lines probably rusted through kinda freaks me out. Seems like it may end up an uphill rust chasing battle that isn't worth it.
I'm not that experienced buying rusted rigs. I'll have to defer to others that play that game since I won't.

Having seen many Va Jeeps with rust, only you can look and determine how bad it is. It's always way worse internally IMO. The low price and mileage makes me think it's much worse than the pics.

Having seen many Va Jeeps with rust, only you can look and determine how bad it is. It's always way worse internally IMO. The low price and mileage makes me think it's much worse than the pics.
That's the thing - I know I can always go look and find out. But if there's even a slight chance, I don't want to bother at this point. At his age, I think he'd rather just hold out for a unicorn.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
For someone like you it isn't. For someone just looking for a decent Jeep to drive without major work, that could be another $3,000+ where I live. PA is a horrible rust belt state. I bought my first XJ from there. Never again.
And had I said it wasn't worth it to swap out a frame if that is the worst of it, there would be 10 fucks in here giving me shit because they swap them out in their sleep.

That's the thing - I know I can always go look and find out. But if there's even a slight chance, I don't want to bother at this point. At his age, I think he'd rather just hold out for a unicorn.
Pass then. I'm the same way. I don't want to buy any vehicle, only to spend tons of time and money fixing crap and not enjoying it. It usually takes me close to a year to find a really nice TJ at a decent price. I have one and still look daily. My wife wants an auto so she can drive it.
p.s. That's why I bought a 5 speed. 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: CharlesHS and AndyG
Pass then. I'm the same way. I don't want to buy any vehicle, only to spend tons of time and money fixing crap and not enjoying it. It usually takes me close to a year to find a really nice TJ at a decent price. I have one and still look daily. My wife wants an auto so she can drive it.
p.s. That's why I bought a 5 speed. 🤫
Exactly, he just wanted to get out and enjoy it, scooping one up at the first slight opportunity and then having to wait around while you get it ship shape would be a bummer.

And same, with as hard as they're getting to find lately I still look nearly every day. I can dream.

Exactly, he just wanted to get out and enjoy it, scooping one up at the first slight opportunity and then having to wait around while you get it ship shape would be a bummer.

And same, between TJ's and older tacomas/4runners, both of which are getting harder to find lately (especially 5-speeds on the toyotas), I'm still looking daily. I can dream.

Two questions:

What is his age? I'm only asking because real TJ unicorns are pretty rare and I'd hate to find out he never got to see one.

How far of a drive to see that Jeep? If it's an hour away, or so, I'd go take a look. At the best, you leave with another Jeep. Even at the worst, it's usually not to hard to find a local "mom and pop" style restaurant where you and your dad can get a decent lunch and talk about the next Jeep to look at.

Here is how to win every time with rust- walk away. It is almost always worse than it appears, the repairs delay the enjoyment, to me I would not feel as good about the purchase (whatever that means) and it de values the vehicle monetarily- TJ frames are known to rust badly and there are so many non rusted ones that cost less to find than fixing a rusted one.

Last edited:
Two questions:

What is his age? I'm only asking because real TJ unicorns are pretty rare and I'd hate to find out he never got to see one.

How far of a drive to see that Jeep? If it's an hour away, or so, I'd go take a look. At the best, you leave with another Jeep. Even at the worst, it's usually not to hard to find a local "mom and pop" style restaurant where you and your dad can get a decent lunch and talk about the next Jeep to look at.
Oh he's 59. He'll find one. Even if it means having one shipped from the southwest (although, I looked recently and prices there are even worse than they are here).

It's not far. Pretty much smack dab between him and me, 45 minutes for each of us.