Fire bug

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So this happened today.

We have a rental house that is right next door to ours. Luckily my hubby was going somewhere and could smell the smoke and then saw it as he was getting ready to leave. The guy in the short video ( I had to cut it way down for posting) is supposed to be on meds to control his mental state. We started noticing him loosing weight a while back and he also started throwing all of his stuff away. (His Mom is my hubby's boss) We talked to his Mom and she had the stuff he was trying to throw away hauled to the yard. Flash forward a few months to now, he is obviously still not taking his meds. I sent the full length video to his Mom and told her she better get him some help before he burns my house down.

Oh, and also you can see my hubby with a wrench undoing the gate latch. The guy has a lock on it and hubby asked for the key but I think the guy said he lost it. He had also cut the hose off of the spigot because it was stuck on it, so he had no hose. Hubby had to go back to the garage to get a pair of pliers so he could get it off to put our hose on it.

I hate to kick the guy out, but at the same time I don't want to lose my house because he is not taking his meds. Ugh. :(

Our mental health system is indeed broken. In most European countries, a guy like this would be committed to a mental hospital, which is where he likely needs to be (along with many of the homeless people on the street). Instead, they're left to fend for themselves in society, and only have themselves to rely on in most cases for staying on their medication.

Honestly, I think you'd be doing the right thing by kicking him out. At some point you have to decide if it's you or him. You have to take care of yourself and worry about yourself before anyone else.

So this happened today.

View attachment 165323

We have a rental house that is right next door to ours. Luckily my hubby was going somewhere and could smell the smoke and then saw it as he was getting ready to leave. The guy in the short video ( I had to cut it way down for posting) is supposed to be on meds to control his mental state. We started noticing him loosing weight a while back and he also started throwing all of his stuff away. (His Mom is my hubby's boss) We talked to his Mom and she had the stuff he was trying to throw away hauled to the yard. Flash forward a few months to now, he is obviously still not taking his meds. I sent the full length video to his Mom and told her she better get him some help before he burns my house down.

Oh, and also you can see my hubby with a wrench undoing the gate latch. The guy has a lock on it and hubby asked for the key but I think the guy said he lost it. He had also cut the hose off of the spigot because it was stuck on it, so he had no hose. Hubby had to go back to the garage to get a pair of pliers so he could get it off to put our hose on it.

I hate to kick the guy out, but at the same time I don't want to lose my house because he is not taking his meds. Ugh. :(
The question you have to ask yourself is how much worst would I feel if my house burnt down with me and my husband in it as opposed to giving this guy the boot.
In my book, not a hard choice.

Reactions: Hog and Apparition
Yah, I agree with you all. I am talking to hubby now about evicting him. He talked to the guy's Mom and she say's she is going to get a hold of Kaiser to see about getting help for him. I think hubby is going to wait to see what happens with that before kicking him out.

It's just a shame because he was tweeking about 10 years ago, she got him help and he was put on meds and that is when he moved into our rental. He was really good till about a month or so ago. Can't blame Covid because we started noticing small things before that.

So, about a month ago when he got rid of a lot of his furniture, he also through out his bed. His Mom went and bought a new on for him. From what hubby said after talking to his Mom tonight, he has also thrown the new bed away too. I have no clue where, as he doesn't have a car and I don't see a new mattress laying in the road anywhere. Unless he cut it up and threw it in the garbage. I know he tried to throw one of those mini fridges in the garbage. I told hubby about that one but when he went to check, it wasn't in there.

Anyway, I'm hoping hubby will eventually see that it may be for the best to have his Mom move him to a place better to take care of him. Every time I mention about "who knows what he will do next" as my line of defense to get hubby to evict him, hubby just say's "I know". So I guess I have to wait and see what goes on in the next few days/week.

Oh, and I moved one of my surveillance cameras to show his front porch/yard. I can now keep an eye on at least that area. I need to go buy a clear plastic box to put it in though, it is an indoor camera, but I like it because I can rotate it and see other parts of the yard/ side of house. :D

Keizer will do nothing. He needs 24/7 care and his meds are not working or most likely, he stopped taking them like lots of mentally ill people.

good luck, don’t take it lightly. If you need more advice DM me. I work with these people and know a few things.

Keizer will do nothing. He needs 24/7 care and his meds are not working or most likely, he stopped taking them like lots of mentally ill people.

good luck, don’t take it lightly. If you need more advice DM me. I work with these people and know a few things.

Thanks, I agree with you. We think he probably threw his pills away. I also agree that Kaiser isn't going to be able to do nothing, it is up to him to keep on the pills and he chose not too. I just have to wait for hubby to come around. Just hope it is not too late.

Thanks for the offer of DM'ing you. I may take you up on that but going to see how things go tomorrow.

Thanks, I agree with you. We think he probably threw his pills away. I also agree that Kaiser isn't going to be able to do nothing, it is up to him to keep on the pills and he chose not too. I just have to wait for hubby to come around. Just hope it is not too late.

Thanks for the offer of DM'ing you. I may take you up on that but going to see how things go tomorrow.

No worries at all. I know how it goes and you want to help but remember. A person not on their medication can be unpredictable and dangerous. Sadly, they end up hurting someone and end up in jail or prison. Then get little help and their issues made worse most times.

Reactions: Apparition
No worries at all. I know how it goes and you want to help but remember. A person not on their medication can be unpredictable and dangerous. Sadly, they end up hurting someone and end up in jail or prison. Then get little help and their issues made worse most times.

Yah, I was telling my hubby that when I was putting the camera up so I can watch his yard, he came out and put something in the garbage. I didn't see him (didn't look) but I heard the can lid. I was in my yard with a fence separating us. Anyway, hubby told me to be careful because we don't know what he will do. I kind of went off on him and told him don't you think that is a good reason to give him the boot? Course, he just says' "I know". I will keep pushing for him to give the guy the boot.

Yah, I was telling my hubby that when I was putting the camera up so I can watch his yard, he came out and put something in the garbage. I didn't see him (didn't look) but I heard the can lid. I was in my yard with a fence separating us. Anyway, hubby told me to be careful because we don't know what he will do. I kind of went off on him and told him don't you think that is a good reason to give him the boot? Course, he just says' "I know". I will keep pushing for him to give the guy the boot.

If he needs an outside voice of reason (spouses do!) I’d be willing to chat with him on the phone if that helps. I don’t want to scare either of you but....

If he needs an outside voice of reason (spouses do!) I’d be willing to chat with him on the phone if that helps. I don’t want to scare either of you but....

Thanks for that offer too. I think he is realizing something is going to have to be done, just have to wait for him to figure out what he is going to do and when.

Sorry to hear about this. Too many neighbors are potential problems and yours is one of them which puts you and your husband in a situation regarding the risk of what this guy actually decides to do at some point.

I hope his mother being your husband's boss isn't adding some different risk.

So this happened today.

View attachment 165323

good luck with that...I hate to say it but you cannot just kick him out because of what you perceive to be his mental state. Does he have a lease? Does he pay his rent each month? Do you have any other grounds for eviction other than him losing weight, throwing out his stuff, etc. Do you have proof that that fire was started intentionally?

Tenants have more rights than the landlords...you better lawyer up first.

Our mental health system is indeed broken.

Very true. Guys like him need real care, not a bottle of pills to walk home with. Unfortunately so many people like him will never be able to get the help they need and will instead eventually end up in a prison alongside violent offenders.

Sorry to hear about this. Too many neighbors are potential problems and yours is one of them which puts you and your husband in a situation regarding the risk of what this guy actually decides to do at some point.

I hope his mother being your husband's boss isn't adding some different risk.

No, the boss thing is not an issue at all. Besides, the business is closing come Sept. so no issues after that for sure. LOL

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
good luck with that...I hate to say it but you cannot just kick him out because of what you perceive to be his mental state. Does he have a lease? Does he pay his rent each month? Do you have any other grounds for eviction other than him losing weight, throwing out his stuff, etc. Do you have proof that that fire was started intentionally?

Tenants have more rights than the landlords...you better lawyer up first.

Yah, I totally agree. I was just talking to hubby today about how "now" would be a good time to try to get him out. Mainly because the guy's Mom is still alive. I think if she is no longer in the picture we will be up a creek. Well it will cost us a fortune to get him out anyway. Unfortunately, there is no contract. It was just an agreement between the boss and my hubby. I didn't have anything to do with it. So if the Mom proves to be more of a problem then what I think she will be, we again are screwed and will be out a ton of money.

All I can do is push on my husband to get him out. It is up to him to do it though. Just a bad situation through and through.

Oh, and it is not "perceive" he has been diagnosed and is on SSI. He also had to register as a sex offender because he was caught peeing in a park, back before he moved in. He was tweeking back then too. He has been good for the last 10 years, up to now.

Yah, I totally agree. I was just talking to hubby today about how "now" would be a good time to try to get him out. Mainly because the guy's Mom is still alive. I think if she is no longer in the picture we will be up a creek. Well it will cost us a fortune to get him out anyway. Unfortunately, there is no contract. It was just an agreement between the boss and my hubby. I didn't have anything to do with it. So if the Mom proves to be more of a problem then what I think she will be, we again are screwed and will be out a ton of money.

All I can do is push on my husband to get him out. It is up to him to do it though. Just a bad situation through and through.

Oh, and it is not "perceive" he has been diagnosed and is on SSI. He also had to register as a sex offender because he was caught peeing in a park, back before he moved in. He was tweeking back then too. He has been good for the last 10 years, up to now.

That is what all sex offenders say. It is ALOT more than peeing in the park.

Well, wish us luck. Tomorrow hubby is going to give the guy and his Mom the eviction notice.

Today was the last straw. Go back just a bit here, about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the gate that is at the back of his house that goes to our backyard, was pushed out a little ways from the house and a board was broken on the bottom. Hubby fixed it and also put a small piece of plywood over the whole bottom portion to help reinforce the boards. Well today the whole gate was torn off. It left a big enough hole at the bottom that my little dogs would have gotten into his yard, which in turn would have been able to get out his other gate ( because he raised it 5 inches off the ground), and ultimately could have gotten out of that area too because the new neighbor took down the chain link fence to install a wood fence and didn't bother to make sure to put anything up temporarily when they didn't finish the job last weekend. Yah, that is a whole other thing I'm a little pissed about. LOL Anyway, my hubby called the guy's Mom and told her she needs to get him out.

We had a friend of ours that has rentals and has some experience with this sort of stuff, write us up and eviction letter and hubby is going to give it to him and his Mom tomorrow. So wish us luck on having a house after he gets the letter. Who knows what he will do. All I have to say is I'm glad I have insurance on it. I have a feeling we will have to put in a claim.

You can see where hubby tried to fix it before and make it so it couldn't be pushed open, by adding that board at the bottom going against our shed. He doesn't want to actually attach it to the house because we had new siding put on and he didn't want to put holes in it. I honestly can't remember how it was held shut before that board you see.
8C4C0E22-FF0F-48DE-8463-58FF8D91DD83.jpeg

F0C96880-3820-4BF9-86C2-BC5078AF7316.jpeg

Here is the fix for now. Once he is out we will take it all back off. With the way it is now, I will have to go the other way to mow my lawn.

4236ADC3-3E82-47F1-901D-D4B41B1A67C0.jpeg

Here is our driveway for the rental. Because he doesn't drive we use it for our cars. In order to get cars in and out, I would open the silver gate, pull the car out, then shut it once the my dogs were all behind it, then open the other gate. The new neighbors left it like this.

16AB8A5C-9565-4CA9-8BAF-949DEC06331D.jpeg

So now I have to either lock my dogs in the house or hubby has to move cars while I stay back with the dogs. I'm sure they will finish the job this up coming weekend, but they are not on my 'favorite new neighbor" list. LOL If it were me that wanted to change the fence and I didn't get the job done, I would put something up temporary. No respect I tell ya. So this is not a good sign on how they will be. Then to top it off, the board they put up are crooked. LOL

Uhhggg. I really need to move to the country and have a house in the middle of a 5 acre lot. LOL