Fire bug

Well, wish us luck. Tomorrow hubby is going to give the guy and his Mom the eviction notice.

Today was the last straw. Go back just a bit here, about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the gate that is at the back of his house that goes to our backyard, was pushed out a little ways from the house and a board was broken on the bottom. Hubby fixed it and also put a small piece of plywood over the whole bottom portion to help reinforce the boards. Well today the whole gate was torn off. It left a big enough hole at the bottom that my little dogs would have gotten into his yard, which in turn would have been able to get out his other gate ( because he raised it 5 inches off the ground), and ultimately could have gotten out of that area too because the new neighbor took down the chain link fence to install a wood fence and didn't bother to make sure to put anything up temporarily when they didn't finish the job last weekend. Yah, that is a whole other thing I'm a little pissed about. LOL Anyway, my hubby called the guy's Mom and told her she needs to get him out.

We had a friend of ours that has rentals and has some experience with this sort of stuff, write us up and eviction letter and hubby is going to give it to him and his Mom tomorrow. So wish us luck on having a house after he gets the letter. Who knows what he will do. All I have to say is I'm glad I have insurance on it. I have a feeling we will have to put in a claim.

You can see where hubby tried to fix it before and make it so it couldn't be pushed open, by adding that board at the bottom going against our shed. He doesn't want to actually attach it to the house because we had new siding put on and he didn't want to put holes in it. I honestly can't remember how it was held shut before that board you see.
View attachment 180434

View attachment 180435

Here is the fix for now. Once he is out we will take it all back off. With the way it is now, I will have to go the other way to mow my lawn.

View attachment 180436

Here is our driveway for the rental. Because he doesn't drive we use it for our cars. In order to get cars in and out, I would open the silver gate, pull the car out, then shut it once the my dogs were all behind it, then open the other gate. The new neighbors left it like this.

View attachment 180433

So now I have to either lock my dogs in the house or hubby has to move cars while I stay back with the dogs. I'm sure they will finish the job this up coming weekend, but they are not on my 'favorite new neighbor" list. LOL If it were me that wanted to change the fence and I didn't get the job done, I would put something up temporary. No respect I tell ya. So this is not a good sign on how they will be. Then to top it off, the board they put up are crooked. LOL

Uhhggg. I really need to move to the country and have a house in the middle of a 5 acre lot. LOL
Good luck with all that, Kim. I don't envy you or your husband. Things tend to get a little tense when someone is getting evicted. Good luck, and stay safe. (And no, that wasn't a Covid-19 "stay safe"!) ;)

Good luck with all that, Kim. I don't envy you or your husband. Things tend to get a little tense when someone is getting evicted. Good luck, and stay safe. (And no, that wasn't a Covid-19 "stay safe"!) ;)

Thanks, yah I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous on how things are going to go after the letter is given.

Well, the letter has been given.

I was in the check out lane and was bored waiting my turn so I decided to check the cameras. I saw him on the porch and he was looking at the letter. Next thing I see is him tearing it up. So obviously it didn't go over good with him. LOL

Anyway, now it seems like he is watching me. I was mowing my lawn out front of the fences (technically the city side of the fence) and I see him come around the fence and look at me. Then later, I was in my yard that has a chain link fence between that seperates his yard, and I see him looking over it at me. I am now in the house and I see him in my cameras and he keeps peering over the fences. Creepy I tell you. I just set up my cameras to record to the cloud so I will now have any issues recorded.

Well, the letter has been given.

I was in the check out lane and was bored waiting my turn so I decided to check the cameras. I saw him on the porch and he was looking at the letter. Next thing I see is him tearing it up. So obviously it didn't go over good with him. LOL

Anyway, now it seems like he is watching me. I was mowing my lawn out front of the fences (technically the city side of the fence) and I see him come around the fence and look at me. Then later, I was in my yard that has a chain link fence between that seperates his yard, and I see him looking over it at me. I am now in the house and I see him in my cameras and he keeps peering over the fences. Creepy I tell you. I just set up my cameras to record to the cloud so I will now have any issues recorded.
At least he didn’t immediately burn the place down.

Reactions: Rick Flair
At least he didn’t immediately burn the place down.

Yah, aint that the truth. It's not over yet though. I just hope his Mom doesn't leave this on us. That would be pretty chicken shit of her if she does. My husband has been nothing but good to her and her family for all these years. (He worked for her) I wouldn't be surprised if she does leave it on us though. I keep telling him that once he is no longer employed by them, they will have nothing to do with him. Oh, and today is his last day because they sold the business and land. So time will tell.

Yah, aint that the truth. It's not over yet though. I just hope his Mom doesn't leave this on us. That would be pretty chicken shit of her if she does. My husband has been nothing but good to her and her family for all these years. (He worked for her) I wouldn't be surprised if she does leave it on us though. I keep telling him that once he is no longer employed by them, they will have nothing to do with him. Oh, and today is his last day because they sold the business and land. So time will tell.
I wonder that "if" she decided to fight you on it (via an attorney), they would try to claim that them being evicted was in retaliation for them selling the business and land, and your husband no longer having a job? Just a thought...

• Wow
that sucks that you're going through this, I work in a substance abuse treatment center contingent a few times a month it is outrageous how broken the system is, it seems that substance abuse and mental health go hand in hand more often than not. I wish you guys the best of luck on what may come.

I wonder that "if" she decided to fight you on it (via an attorney), they would try to claim that them being evicted was in retaliation for them selling the business and land, and your husband no longer having a job? Just a thought...
they have documentation of events that predate the termination/loss of job, it's easy to prove that it is not retaliation.

they have documentation of events that predate the termination/loss of job, it's easy to prove that it is not retaliation.

Yah, I do have a video and pics from the fire incident and also have pics of the first time the gate got messed with, and now the recent gate fiasco. I am thinking the chair on fire alone would be enough cause of eviction. He set it on fire right under a tree just down from the porch.

I don't know how legal it is for me to have my surveillance cameras set up recording his yard, but I figure it is for my own safety. I'm actually a bit nervous because he keeps walking up to the fence and the gate and peering over into my yard.

My concern if they try to fight it, is the Covid thing. That right there is an issue. As far as the timing for him no longer working for them, that is even more of a reason to 'not' want to kick him out right now. I mean that is rent money that I could be using to pay my bills while we wait for unemployment. So really, I would think that would show how concerned we are about our safety and our house that we have to kick him out when we actually could use the money.

that is true but is your safety worth the money you get for rent?

That is what I was trying to say. Is my safety is more important then the rent money so I'm hoping the courts will see that part of it. Not just the 'because hubby lost his job' part of it. Meaning having hard feeling toward his Mom who is hubby's boss. Which there are no hard feelings. We actually told her after the fire incident that she needed to get him help and she has done nothing. We said back then that we would have to evict him if things don't improve. They got worse.

This reminds me why I never want to be a landlord. It’s damn hard to find good renters.

I hope you have good insurance, just in case 👍

Yes, we do have insurance and I had a friend of our check it to make sure it covers what the tenant does. It does. So we are safe there. Yah, up till this point he has been great and it has been guaranteed rent. Although we aren't charging what we should be. The guy only pays 550 plus half the electric. It was just nice knowing he (his Mom) would pay the rent each month. Even during the "pandemic" .

Yes, we do have insurance and I had a friend of our check it to make sure it covers what the tenant does. It does. So we are safe there. Yah, up till this point he has been great and it has been guaranteed rent. Although we aren't charging what we should be. The guy only pays 550 plus half the electric. It was just nice knowing he (his Mom) would pay the rent each month. Even during the "pandemic" .

Hopefully once he’s out you can find someone better to move in.

Hopefully once he’s out you can find someone better to move in.

We have someone in mind and he has been paying his rent early every month.

Ok, update. Just got off the phone with hubby and he said the Mom didn't really say much when he gave her the letter. She already knew about it because of last night. He then told me that her husband (in reality, the actual owner of the company, and has known hubby longer then dirt) said that as soon as we get back from our camping trip this weekend, they will start moving him out. I think they want hubby to help with moving the stuff. They are to old to do it.

So, if all goes well, we may have him gone by sometime next week or the following.

Just a little history on who is who, Gary is the original owner of Hirst Tow service. Bob, my hubby worked for him before Linda (the Mom) even knew Gary. So hubby has worked for Gary for little over 30 years give or take. Linda came into the picture probably 20 years ago. So with that being said, I kind of want to believe Gary when he tells my hubby that they will get Danny (the renter) out.