Fire Extinguishers

I keep mine up close but it's not a very big fire extinguisher. I bought it at jegs I believe.
20170204_121236.jpg

I keep mine up close but it's not a very big fire extinguisher. I bought it at jegs I believe.View attachment 10459
You should seriously consider a 5 pounder mounted somewhere. That one is all but useless when you get to where you need something to put out a fire. All the vehicle fire horror stories I've read over the years never ever center around having a fire extinguisher that was too big.

If you're like me, it will bug the crap out of you. When I'm on the highway, my left heel sits on the bump under the seat. No way an extinguisher is going there.

My foot with a plain old lightweight shoe is a little over 16 inches long. Add winter boots and it can go to 20. There isn't much room there after the paws are loaded.

Reactions: Chris
A word of caution for those of you mounting your fire extinguishers (or anything else heavy) on the roll bar. In an accident, they can become a projectile. A few years ago my brother in law was traveling on a county road when a kid who was texting crossed the center line and hit him head on. The kid was not hurt as this was not high speed. Unfortunately there was a laptop in a box in the crew cab of my brother in laws truck. It hit him in the back of the head and broke his neck. Fortunately he has recovered, but I would never leave projectiles in line of my head no matter the strength of the strap. I will be storing mine under the drivers seat as in Jerry's photo.

Reactions: Chris
My extinguisher is mounted in an over center clamp strapped to the aft left roll bar upright (2000 TJ). I check the pressure gauge whenever I open the tailgate.

By the way, that projectile issue is why I carry my receiver hitch and shackles on my rear bumper, not inside the cockpit. :D

Had an experience today. Found some beer cans and just threw them into the passenger footwell.... no doors. On the highway at 60mph I caught up to a motorhome. Next passing zone I pull out and he decided to race me..... well about 75mph the aerodynamics changed. Before exiting the cab the cans hit me in the face..... And you guys worry about fire extinguishers.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone stumbles across this thread looking for ideas, here's how mine is mounted. It's below/in front of the driver's seat on an aluminum quick release mount I found for $30 bucks on amazon. There were some cheaper options that looked the exact same but didn't have any reviews so I paid $5 more for the one that had 5 stars. In total it cost me $37 bucks after buying the aluminum bar to mount the extinguisher mount to.
Edit: I chose this mount over the standard quick release one like the one jerry posted above just because I personally feel it is more secure. A fire extinguisher is something I personally want to take no chance on flying around in case of an accident.

IMG_7568.JPG

Last edited:
My preference is a 5 lb. ABC extinguisher which is good for the types of fire situations our Jeeps are most likely to be in. I wouldn't trust any extinguisher with less capacity than 5 lbs. And don't attach it to your roll cage at head height, you never know when it could go flying in an accident.

Mine is mounted down low so I can reach it while seated if I couldn't get out for any reason. It's also mounted low enough so the seat can slide over the top of it if needed, plus it's in a spring-steel clip so it can be retrieved quickly and easily in a bad situation.

View attachment 1814
Good advice thx!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
5# ABC at a minimum. Anything smaller is useless. In my professional opinion as a retired Firefighter. I have two 5# extinguishers in my rig. One mounted like Jerry has his only on the passenger seat and one behind the rear seat.

For everyone worrying about the extinguisher mounted on the roll bar, go ahead and put it where you want, just make sure that think is mounted solid. In an accident it doesn’t matter where you put it, it will become a projectile from anywhere if not mounted properly. Even from under the seat. Anyone whose been in more than a fender bender knows this. I’ve been in several and I had shit in places that I couldn’t figure out how it got there. Once I had shit from my glove box behind the rear seat. Once I had a CD changer break from the mounts under the drivers seat and land in the passenger floor board. Once again had a speaker box blow through the back seat from the trunk and end up in the passenger compartment. Notice the similarities? Mount whatever is heavy very solid.

I have no problem with a roll bar mount as long as it’s not going to be somewhere you’ll whack it with your head if you’re bouncing around. Just make sure that thing is mounted solid with something better than Velcro straps. Find a boat mount. If it’ll stay put in a boat it’ll stay in put in a Jeep in a rollover.

Last edited:
At work we use these even though they aren't 5 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXRYCM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Might be more of an insurance issue than anything. When we've had a fire it started under a vehicle and in our only serious vehicle fire we couldn't have gotten to it even if we tried, because of the clearance of the vehicle. I'm not a fire fighter, but when gasoline goes up I'm not sure what's gonna stop it. This is another reason why I'm anti emissions equipment and gasoline for off-road if I've got a choice. I've seen gas fires and fires started by catalytic converters and we cross fields routinely. Now if the brush goes up, it won't go too far around here there's just water and mud everywhere, but I don't want to burn up equipment or homes or barns, etc.

I have used the little plastic fire extinguishers around camp fires. After some research, I won't go back to any size with plastic nozzle, but I do like where the 2.5 lb ones will fit, but I'm gonna switch to 5 lb from now on. The price is pretty close. And I always like to bring multiple fire extinguishers.

Thanks for the insight though I never thought about going 5 lb vs 2.5 lb, but I will from now on.

The only reason I'd be hesitant would be the rubber hose deteriorating. I think you could probably shade it pretty easy with the tire though and maybe put something over it. I think the easier to get to the better.

I might add that I carry, with part of my max ax kit a rake thing which is super handy in containing fires. We burn stuff fairly often and grabbing something like that and clearing a section is very handy. We had a fire that wasn't being managed very well (IMO) and I had to clear a section about 75 yards long and about 5 ft wide to contain the fire and all I could find was a plastic cover for an ax and just scraped the leaves and stuff and that sucked, so I keep something with me at all times in case the need comes back.