Firefighting

I'm not but my sister is a Captain. She started in police and they combined duties with firefighting and then she shifted over to firefighter. Seemed like a good idea to me since the public and media don't hate firefighters yet.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I've been a firefighter for 16 years now and love it. Is it worth doing the job? Absolutely, but it's not all fun and games. Depending on your work schedule, I'm 24/48, it can be pretty miserable if you don't mesh well with your crew. It makes for a very long 24 hours. If you get along with them, they become family forever. The fire fighting part of the job is the funnest part of my job but we fight very little fire these days. You should be prepared to run a ton of EMS calls, that's what most of our job consists of. As far as cons, you will see people at their very worst and will see things that will stay with you forever. This job is not for everyone but it is a great job.

Are you looking to become a firefighter?

I've been a firefighter for 16 years now and love it. Is it worth doing the job? Absolutely, but it's not all fun and games. Depending on your work schedule, I'm 24/48, it can be pretty miserable if you don't mesh well with your crew. It makes for a very long 24 hours. If you get along with them, they become family forever. The fire fighting part of the job is the funnest part of my job but we fight very little fire these days. You should be prepared to run a ton of EMS calls, that's what most of our job consists of. As far as cons, you will see people at their very worst and will see things that will stay with you forever. This job is not for everyone but it is a great job.

Are you looking to become a firefighter?
I'm thinking about it. I'm only 16, so I've got some time.

My grand daughters bf is a firefighter in Grass Valley, just north of Sac.
He is just kind of starting out. Im pretty sure he told me they work two days on, 4 days off, two on, that kind of schedule.( I could be wrong about that.) He started with CalFire to begin with. He has been gone weeks at a time during fire season(summer)
If you have specifics I could ask him this weekend
I am pretty sure he went to Butte college and took tons of courses in fire fighting, I understand the college is one of the best for that kind of education. He had to have extensive training in paramedics/first responding. He has already had to deliver a baby. I would say its not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
My grand daughters bf is a firefighter in Grass Valley, just north of Sac.
He is just kind of starting out. Im pretty sure he told me they work two days on, 4 days off, two on, that kind of schedule.( I could be wrong about that.) He started with CalFire to begin with. He has been gone weeks at a time during fire season(summer)
If you have specifics I could ask him this weekend
I am pretty sure he went to Butte college and took tons of courses in fire fighting, I understand the college is one of the best for that kind of education. He had to have extensive training in paramedics/first responding. He has already had to deliver a baby. I would say its not for the faint of heart.
I was surprised to learn that firefighters had to go through a lot of learning, but it makes sense since there is a lot of medical involved.
I thought firefighters worked 4 days and had 2 off?

I was a volunteer (10 years) for a small rural county. Defiantly worth it. I was in the Army at the time, and at times missed a lot, but it's both fulfilling on a deep level (helping others) and a shallower one (feeling the rush). I believe we should all, at some level and time, help make society better.

It's not necessarily easy - wearing turn-out gear and SCBA (air system), dragging a nozzle around in high triple digit temp environment will show what you're physically made of. Heart beating so fast you run through a 25 min tank in 10. Watching a neighbor that just lost everything - everything they own - in a structure fire, arriving at a traffic accident and listening to the cries of a woman trapped while you're cutting her out, they'll test you mentally and emotionally.

But the thrill on running into a building everyone else is running out of, feeling the heat encircle you as you enter and KNOCKING THAT BITCH BACK, saving someone's pictures on the wall of their deceased family. Getting that woman out the car so you can stop her cries of pain. That's a reward all it's own.

It's not for everyone. But in my mind it's one of the most rewarding challenging careers out there.

Firefighters kick ash!

I spent 10 years as a volunteer here on Long Island, now that is no comparison to being in the FDNY. EMS is a different department so while you will work with them you are not the EMT on the ambulance. Nice pension after 20 years of service. It will be tough and rewarding work.

I was Volunteer in Georgetown CA for 12 years, my wife is a Battalion Chief with the Forest Service lots of our friends started out as volunteers or on the Medic Unit. Some are now with Tahoe Fire, SacMetro, San Francisco FD, CalFire, and one is the Chief of Stockton Fire. I enjoyed it, lot of good people and great experiences.

I've been in the fire service 16 years, 12 as a firefighter and last 4 currently as a Captain. It's the best job in the world and I work in a very busy city Newark, New Jersey so there is always something going on. Luckily we do not run EMS calls or we will be running constantly. As stated above if you have a great crew its literally your second family and you will enjoy the job and always looking forward to go to work. Definitely go for it it will be the best decision you ever made.

Reactions: TreverStevens
I’m a volunteer fireman. At 16 you should be able to start volunteering even if it is at a restricted capacity. In NY where I am you need FF1 which is interior qualification and to be 18 in order to don a scba and go inside but before that you will be training with the company/department, getting a sense of what it’s all about and can typically run anything exterior. That includes MVAs and whatever else pops up. That experience can only help when you decide to move further with it as a paid guy or just stick to volunteering and pursue another career.

Everything said above is true. You will see and hear things you won’t ever forget. You will likely gain lifelong friends you consider brothers or sisters. It is incredibly rewarding giving of yourself for your community. It is a commitment to be fit and continually train so you are ready for the worst at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: TreverStevens
I’m ex navy so yep I’m a fire fighter. If your ship catches on fire there’s no place to go so you best go put it out. The training was excellent and quite fun.

Reactions: Blend120
I’m a volunteer fireman. At 16 you should be able to start volunteering even if it is at a restricted capacity. In NY where I am you need FF1 which is interior qualification and to be 18 in order to don a scba and go inside but before that you will be training with the company/department, getting a sense of what it’s all about and can typically run anything exterior. That includes MVAs and whatever else pops up. That experience can only help when you decide to move further with it as a paid guy or just stick to volunteering and pursue another career.

Everything said above is true. You will see and hear things you won’t ever forget. You will likely gain lifelong friends you consider brothers or sisters. It is incredibly rewarding giving of yourself for your community. It is a commitment to be fit and continually train so you are ready for the worst at the drop of a hat.
The reason I want to be a firefighter is because I have all this strenght and speed and I can't seem to put it to good use. I think I might start volunteering this summer.

The reason I want to be a firefighter is because I have all this strenght and speed and I can't seem to put it to good use. I think I might start volunteering this summer.
Sounds good. It takes a month here to get approved by commissioners and be put on insurance. So if summer is your plan head down soon to get the paperwork, meet some people and get started.