Firering antenna cable issue

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
The CB install went well, but now I have a question for the crew. The small UHF connector that is crimped onto the end of the coax at the radio end of my Firering antenna cable appears to be loose. It will slip off pretty easily. I don't think it's supposed to do that; at least most crimp connections that I've ever dealt with didn't. Can that be re-crimped or do I need to warranty this thing with Firestik? I sent Firestik an e-mail inquiry, but they are a little slow to respond.

Here we go!
FireRing_with_FME-10_1024x1024.jpg

Under the plastic cover behind the small connector there is a crimped fitting. That crimped fitting is only "snug"; not crimped as solidly as I expected. Still no reply from the Firestik folks, though they did say to give them up to five business days to respond to e-mail.

OK, here's a different look at the same thing.
mini-UHF install.jpg

On figure 8, you can see the crimped on connector for holding the mini-UHF connector to the coax cable. Mine was installed at the factory. Looking this install sequence over and thinking about what is going on, it seems that getting and installing a new connector is a viable option. That, or just replacing the whole coax.

OK, here's a different look at the same thing.
View attachment 4162

On figure 8, you can see the crimped on connector for holding the mini-UHF connector to the coax cable. Mine was installed at the factory. Looking this install sequence over and thinking about what is going on, it seems that getting and installing a new connector is a viable option. That, or just replacing the whole coax.
Gotcha.
Once upon a long time ago I was heavily into CB radios. In fact, I had several Heath Kit radios that I assembled myself. Anyway I would never trust something that gave me the impression of being "loose." What is your SWR reading? If you can't get it to a 1.2 to a 1.5 max I would replace the connector. It isn't that hard or spen a couple of extra bucks and replace the cable. Please tell us how it works out.

Will do! Right now the SWR readings are 1.1 on channel 1 and about 1.4 on channel 40. The antenna is tuned all the way short. The reception is exceptional for the setup as it is, but I haven't experimented with transmitting yet. I agree with you, loose isn't ever good on an electrical connection. I think I'll hunt up a new mini-UHF connector and a crimp tool and just fix what is already there.

Heath Kit? Now that's a company I haven't heard of in years! They made some interesting, really high quality stuff for awhile.

Will do! Right now the SWR readings are 1.1 on channel 1 and about 1.4 on channel 40. The antenna is tuned all the way short. The reception is exceptional for the setup as it is, but I haven't experimented with transmitting yet. I agree with you, loose isn't ever good on an electrical connection. I think I'll hunt up a new mini-UHF connector and a crimp tool and just fix what is already there.

Heath Kit? Now that's a company I haven't heard of in years! They made some interesting, really high quality stuff for awhile.
I still have their AM/FM Dolby stero and amp in my shop. Really enjoyed building their stuff.

Alrighty then, a couple of new developments in the coax saga. Emailed Firestik last Monday with a question on this cable. Don't waste time trying to contact them via email. Firestik is non responsive via email.

Decided to try repairing the cable using the installation instructions supplied on the Firestik web site for a new install, and it was a fail. My fault, because my skills at soldering and wire stripping are primitive at best. I guess that I'll have to give them a call and see if they will send me some crimp ferrels to play with. Electronics are just one of those things that I want to work. I don't want to mess around with them.

Just got off the phone with Firestik, and they are sending out a new cable under warranty. If you have the 18' Firering with the mini-UHF connector, check the crimped on ferrel. There was a manufacturing faux pas with the crimp. They have had to replace a ton of them under warranty lately.

Reactions: Stinger