First bikini top, what am I doing wrong?

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
just purchased my first bikini top. Did not have instructions with it.

What am I doing wrong here on the front corners? I can't get those to tuck and stay?

Is it because I'm using full door surrounds? there's some front velcro straps near this corner but they don't seem to help wrapping it around the door surround and attaching it.

YouTube did not provide any helpful vids.

Any help much appreciated.

IMG_20190627_123334727.jpg

Yeah you need to get the plastic flap in the channel from end-to-end, even where it turns down at the corners. You'll have to bend and stretch it at the corners there, I took a small rubber mallet and tapped it in to get it to stay

Last edited:
Reactions: 06TJ35's and pagrey
A second set of hands to help keep tension on the top as you tuck it in really helps. Just went through a similar situation with my Rampage soft top.

One, do you have the right header for that top? If not, your going to get frustrated. I'd call the manufacturer after identifying which header you have. This site might help you:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-jeep-soft-top-hardware.aspx
Two, if this is the type of oem header that needs the tops plastic strip screwed into the header. You may have to fold the top over once and then screw it in to take up that extra fabric your seeing on the sides. In other words, you can place the plastic strip on the top just straight in or you can fold it over once. And then screw it down.

Biggest issue is whether you have the right header though. Check that first. Some tops only work with their own manufacturers header.

Based on your picture it looks like you bought the same header as me. This is what the corner looks like once you finagle it.

A8DF4A6F-A026-484A-BFC4-F77EF299DFFB.jpeg

8A969AA8-D122-4114-B77F-47AA1BA992F6.jpeg

Yeah you need to get the plastic flap in the channel from end-to-end, even where it turns down at the corners. You'll have to bend and stretch it at the corners there, I took a small rubber mallet and tapped it in to get it to stay
It is a bestop header... he actually seems like the top is too wide for the header there's lots of extra material. I have had the corners talk to him properly but there's nothing to hold them in their attention wise I've tried to tighten everything as good as I could but it just doesn't do it.

Based on your picture it looks like you bought the same header as me. This is what the corner looks like once you finagle it.

View attachment 101508

View attachment 101509
I have the door surrounds on. I did take one surround off to try it and it looked similar to yours around the roll top bar. However that leaves a large gap between the full doors and the top then.

I was thinking if I ever got caught in a rainstorm the rain which is poor right into that large gap instead of down and over the door surround.

I'll keep working it maybe now that it's on and in the sun maybe I'll make it a little easier I do keep forcing the plastic tab up into the corner but again there's nothing to hold it there. I even considered putting some silicone adhesive in there and leave the header bar on the top permanently however not sure how I would undo the bolts all the way to get it off unless I folded the top over the front of the windshield to unbolt it?

Reactions: qslim
I have the door surrounds on. I did take one surround off to try it and it looked similar to yours around the roll top bar. However that leaves a large gap between the full doors and the top then.

I was thinking if I ever got caught in a rainstorm the rain which is poor right into that large gap instead of down and over the door surround.

I'll keep working it maybe now that it's on and in the sun maybe I'll make it a little easier I do keep forcing the plastic tab up into the corner but again there's nothing to hold it there. I even considered putting some silicone adhesive in there and leave the header bar on the top permanently however not sure how I would undo the bolts all the way to get it off unless I folded the top over the front of the windshield to unbolt it?

Yeah, mines the Bestop bikini too. I had to have reward tension on the top, then I tapped in the corners with a rubber mallet to get it seated.

And yes, there will be a gap between this top and the full doors... I run all summer w/ no doors anyway because we get about 5 raindrops between May and August, but if you're caught in weather it's going to pour water right inside.

Same issue here when I had that top and header. I just did my best to get the plastic flap inserted into the header channel (having another set of hands is invaluable), then tightened the rear straps, repeat, repeat, etc. Last thing I would do is tuck the side flaps into the door surround channel.

Whoever designed that header system at Bestop was smoking crack at the time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leinhit
Yeah, mines the Bestop bikini too. I had to have reward tension on the top, then I tapped in the corners with a rubber mallet to get it seated.

And yes, there will be a gap between this top and the full doors... I run all summer w/ no doors anyway because we get about 5 raindrops between May and August, but if you're caught in weather it's going to pour water right inside.

with that little rain I am envious. But here in Michigan we have to deal with sudden thunderstorms out of nowhere and lots of rust that comes with the winter salt and humidity.

well I will keep trying appreciate everyone's input. Worse comes to worse maybe I'll go with a silicone sealant and just fold it over the front windshield when I want to undo the bolts to take it off. But I can't live with it looking like this.

with that little rain I am envious. But here in Michigan we have to deal with sudden thunderstorms out of nowhere and lots of rust that comes with the winter salt and humidity.

well I will keep trying appreciate everyone's input. Worse comes to worse maybe I'll go with a silicone sealant and just fold it over the front windshield when I want to undo the bolts to take it off. But I can't live with it looking like this.
I have actually read of others gluing that plastic flap into the header channel permanently, after going through the same frustration as you. Doing that would certainly cut down on the install time in the future.

Reactions: Leinhit
I have actually read of others gluing that plastic flap into the header channel permanently, after going through the same frustration as you. Doing that would certainly cut down on the install time in the future.
Thank you for the support, I will be considering it by next weekend.

I see on the Safari bikini top, the top snaps into the header...

Just an update to Future Jeepers.. I tried using clamps in the hot sun for a day or two at a time, only for it to pop back out first drive.i broke down and used silicone adhesive.. clamped it over night and
IMG_20190710_163940917_HDR.jpg
it's been a week and all is good.

I'll just roll it up as one when I take it off. For now I'm happy with it.

Just an update to Future Jeepers.. I tried using clamps in the hot sun for a day or two at a time, only for it to pop back out first drive.i broke down and used silicone adhesive.. clamped it over night andView attachment 104095 it's been a week and all is good.

I'll just roll it up as one when I take it off. For now I'm happy with it.

Maybe I'll do that with mine. Those damned corners never stay in on mine.