First Jeep wave in a while

Francis Perry

Just as I was wondering if the Jeep wave is most tightly knit among the TJ/Wrangler community, I need wonder no more. First test drive in months, coming back from the parts store, only other TJ I see, has to wave. Will say much easier with half doors ✌

Reactions: Bouncer
I have one other TJ(female driven) and a number of jk/jkus in my town. They never wave, I dont even try anymore.

Last edited:
I feel like the wave was gradually phased out as more and more JKs hit the road.

Now that the JK is a production model of the past, JLs and JTs will pretty much be the nail in the coffin. :(

It's much more common among the TJ and older generations I feel like.

As JKs and JLs hit the road, the majority of people driving them are simply using them as a replacement SUV.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
We have a lot of JK's wave in my area. Rode with my buddy a few months back and he drives a really built LJ the whole time ppl are waving and he ignores them, Next thing I know I'm doing the waving never did ask him why he wont wave. Kind of irked me.

Enthusiastic Jeep folks generally wave , because they notice Jeeps.

I like it , it’s a cool deal . My TJ really stands out with 5 KC smileys , I always try to wave back .

As JKs and JLs hit the road, the majority of people driving them are simply using them as a replacement SUV.
how I feel about the XJ crowd. Most of them have no idea how iconic a vehicle they're driving. So surprised when I do get a wave, don't have time to react.

how I feel about the XJ crowd. Most of them have no idea how iconic a vehicle they're driving. So surprised when I do get a wave, don't have time to react.

Yep! I just don't wave to anyone other than TJs, YJs, or CJs. Only way I wave at JK drivers is if they wave first, since 9 out of 10 of them don't even know what they are driving. Same goes for JLs as well.

It's no longer a Jeep to most, just a cool SUV.

Reactions: E1320 and Raymund
Hate to say it but as much as I just don’t care for any of the newer Jeeps, since I’ve been putting miles on my TJ again I’ve been getting waves from just about any Wrangler on the road lately. TJs get the full wave. Anything newer gets the two finger peace sign while still gripping the wheel 😋. As if I’m better than them. Kidding aside, it’s nice to see.

Reactions: Hog
I have noticed over the past couple of years that only when your “cruising the back roads”, or in the mountains on a Sunday drive, that you get the wave from TJs and such.. daily drivers and commuters do not wave as much...

"Jeep fans" wave regardless of what Wrangler they own. It's just that in the past the only owners of Jeeps were Jeep Fans, where now we are deluded by standard SUV owners buying Jeeps. So it all depends on which kind of owner it is.

Most TJ owners are upset by the number of non-Jeep Jeep owners, but really we should welcome them. They keep the profits high enough to ensure the continuing of the line. It's just business, and these days we don't buy enough of them to stay clear of the bottom line by ourselves.

Quite sure everyone here has developed some Jeep Wave instinct by now in terms of to wave or not. What messed with my mind was when a Nissan Patrol waved at me yesterday. Random.

I used to be a big proponent of waiving to all wranglers regardless and not caring if they wave back. I have amended my personal policy in that I now waive at all 2 door jeeps regardless of vintage. I find even in the JK/JL crowd in my area they are much more prone to reciprocate or initiate even.

Not long ago I was driving my wife's Nissan Rogue--when another Rogue driver approaching me gave me a squirrely Rogue wave.

I was mortified, and exclaimed to myself, "OMG, did that really just happen?"

Had the driver not looked like Richard Simmons' twin brother, it may not have been so unsettling.

1579191586300.png

I'm still processing the event, which happened a few months ago. Perhaps I need to address this with a therapist?

I just don't wave to anyone other than TJs, YJs, or CJs.

It's no longer a Jeep to most, just a cool SUV.

+1 , Im in the same boat.

In my area there has been a big surge in JKs over the past two years, almost no response from them at all. Once in a blue moon some old lady would throw me peace signs out of her 4 door JK, that shocks and catches me off guard so hard that sometimes im afraid that i will wave back with a middle finger without realizing.

It is also very dependent on the area you are in.
I was in Washington DC - Baltimore area for the winter holidays, and Jeep wave is alive and thriving there! I was very surprised, 9/10 Jeeps would wave at me with enthusiasm and smiles. Stock JKs for the most part, guys and girls, of all ages... i was very surprised.
When i was visiting Colorado, Jeep wave was dead there, people would give me weird looks like
external-cont23re32e32r32ent.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Quite sure everyone here has developed some Jeep Wave instinct by now in terms of to wave or not. What messed with my mind was when a Nissan Patrol waved at me yesterday. Random.
Sometimes i grab my friends Accura in a hurry, and then wave at Jeepers while forgetting what i drive. To see their response, refer to my post above :D

• Haha
Reactions: Raymund

Buzz (my Lurcher) decided that we should go to the beach today,

On the way back we got (well gave and got) our second Jeep wave since May 2019. From a JKo_O.
Mind you we have, so far only met 3 JK's over here - TJ's are a bit thin on the ground.

Buzz and Jeep.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris