First Jeep

TX99517

We just got a 99 Wrangler SE for the teenager. He chose it. It has 107K miles on it. I've been lurking, looking for things here prior to joining. I have told him to join so he can start doing research on "his' vehicle.

I have no clue the maintenance history, but I can guess it wasn't maintained as I would my vehicles.

For the most part, I think it runs good. From reading here, I have replaced the Upstream O2 Sensor as it was running pretty rough, that seem to help a little. I showed him how to change the oil this past weekend and we put high mileage synthetic in it. I have been putting some fuel treatment in the tank at fill up. The mileage is still pretty bad, but I haven't really driven it since the sensor change. I have what I think is a leak in the radiator. It's got a slow drip for about 10 minutes after you shut it off. The overflow was bone dry when we got it, so I have added to it. It took almost a gallon at that time. Since then it's held steady. I put a new cap on, as the one it had looked nothing like what the OEM parts do, and it looked as if the rubber seal was cracked. I have a OEM thermostat and gasket I'm going to replace after we get back from spring break vacation.

It had 32 inch mud tires on it as well. I took them off and put 31 inch all terrain for him. I have been reading a lot on steering issues. It does not have the death wobble, but it does have some drift while driving. Im not sure if its just the crappy winter roads or something else. Once I got on the highway today, it seemed to do ok. I also had to put power steering fluid in the tank as it was pretty low. The Steering Damper which is currently a Rancho, looks like it's seen better days.
I think it has a little bit of a lift, but I don't know how to tell. The front springs are definitely not OEM and look newer. The shocks look old though.

The O2 sensor I took out looks nothing like the NKT one I replaced it with. Not sure if that was causing some of the rough running issues or not. It did throw a code prior to replacing it, but I failed to write it down. It did say O2 sensor though. I plan to replace the downstream one as well. I already have the part. I just need to get it up on a lift so I can get a better angle on it.

I'll be searching more here as things come up.

Reactions: Zorba