First jeep

Jpitty

First off, hello I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a 02 Sahara.

This is my first jeep I've owned , after looking for a year I finally found what I was looking for.

My question is while i wait until the warmer weather begins so i can repaint my new fenders I've decided to change the timing chain. I dont know the previous history of the vehicle and having 240k km on it, I decided why not.

I already plan on changing all hoses, the belt and tensioner , thermostat. coolant flush.

Now do you think it would be worth the extra money to do the water pump and clutch fan ? Theres nothing wrong with it that I know of but since I'm in there I figured maybe?

Also I believe the rear main seal is leaking too so I might as well do a rear seal, oil pan gasket and oil pump as well?

This is the slippery slope I find my self on, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, and nice purchase.

I don't think you need to change the timing chain at that mileage. Also, I don't think you should change the RMS-instead, change the oil and use a high mileage petroleum based oil, not a synthetic. It may solve the leaking issue. Definitely yes to the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, coolant, hoses, and backflush the heater core, as well as the belt and tensioner and air filter. Oil pump-no. oil pan gasket-is it leaking? I say no as well. Dino based high mileage oil may cure alot of your ills, and that's where I suggest you start.

How about the plugs?

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Welcome, and nice purchase.

I don't think you need to change the timing chain at that mileage. Also, I don't think you should change the RMS-instead, change the oil and use a high mileage petroleum based oil, not a synthetic. It may solve the leaking issue. Definitely yes to the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, coolant, hoses, and backflush the heater core, as well as the belt and tensioner and air filter. Oil pump-no. oil pan gasket-is it leaking? I say no as well. Dino based high mileage oil may cure alot of your ills, and that's where I suggest you start.

How about the plugs?
Awesome thank you for the reply! , plugs I've done as well as the valve cover gasket.

Reactions: glowell222
Welcome to the forum!

And congratulations on your new toy!

As far as all the work you’ve outlined, Little extras like a water pump sound good, as long as it’s not breaking the bank. I might skip the fan clutch if it’s not misbehaving, it’s easy enough to do at any time.

The RMS and the timing chain could wait till you’ve tried what glowell222 suggests. And if it doesn’t fix those issues, then break out the wrenches.

Reactions: glowell222
Habit? That's a great way to put it , lol .
Can you recommend a petroleum based oil? I had bought a Castrol gtx high mileage "synthetic blend" , I haven't used it yet maybe il return it.

Awesome thank you for the reply! , plugs I've done as well as the valve cover gasket.
Excellent-the valve cover gaskets tend to leak a little near the rear of the engine and fool you into thinking your RMS is leaking.
BTW-I have over 450,000kms on my engine and the original timing chain is still keeping time pretty well, which is why I don't think you should drop the CAD on doing the changeout, unless you are doing it yourself.

I plan on doing the work myself however you got me thinking now.
For water pump is the mopar pump which I've read is highly recommended much better then say the acdelco one? $200 vs $50...

I plan on doing the work myself however you got me thinking now.
For water pump is the mopar pump which I've read is highly recommended much better then say the acdelco one? $200 vs $50...
There's a rule I follow: If I have to ask the question, I already know the answer.

Habit? That's a great way to put it , lol .
Can you recommend a petroleum based oil? I had bought a Castrol gtx high mileage "synthetic blend" , I haven't used it yet maybe il return it.
Lots of threads on here about oil. Consensus as I understand it is that pretty much any name brand motor oil will work, and synthetic is not necessary for most applications but it will offer better performance in cold weather (so probably worth it for you). Per the service manual, 5W-30 is recommended for ambient temps up to about 60 degrees F (16 C), if you are operating above that then you should be using 10W-30. Not sure how warm it gets up there, but you might just want to run 5W-30 year round. Many of us in more temperate regions will switch between 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer.

And the addiction begins. (y)
JEEP PROBLEM (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).gif