First Jeep

Joe K

Hey Guys

I recently bought my first jeep and have a few questions.

Pictures are attached. The lift kit is unknown and it is on 33’s

The jeep seems to have an odd time steering. When i get into a turn it seems a little erratic. I begin to turn and then it grabs and turns hard suddenly. Im not sure if this is normal. The tires are a little unevenly worn and i have ordered a new set of baja boss’s.

Also i noticed that the rear lower control arm has a gap on both sides and i can actually move it by hand sliding it back and forth. I would think this isnt normal.

If you could take a look at my pictures i would appreciate it. I have had my hands on quite a few vehicles, have a lift and all the tools i could need to fix anything wrong. But its a little hard to tell if there is anything wrong because ive never worked on or even driven another jeep.

Thanks in advance

Joe K

09A3F438-BAA2-4B9C-9E7E-3C698FDF1014.jpeg

8122A3B4-F379-42F6-871A-1C7B8A174982.jpeg

285BCD47-BD81-49C8-A2E5-A8BF7E373C6E.jpeg

D0BE64EB-EA77-4475-9B2C-689C12732D70.jpeg

991E9848-29A9-49B4-BDB4-46275A79CBA2.jpeg

704AB492-BE95-47EA-AAF0-95042322DF68.jpeg

If your trying to do it yourself, this is a great forum to get help. Otherwise, take to a good local Jeep shop and have them check it out. Suspensions on these things are often installed wrong.

I think i can fix anything thats wrong. Ive swapped motor trans and all suspension in my 89 fox so i should be able to handle the jeep

Talked to the previous owner today and it does have an aftermarket front end locker ( i didnt know ) so that may be some of the odd noise im hearing.

The odd steering could be a jeep thing or steering box could be tired. Im not sure

New tires and alignment should help.

If anyone knows if that gap in the rear lca is normal that would be great!

Joe

Nothing better than the sound of a canned 5.0!

Congrats on the Jeep and welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great and knowledgeable people on here.. there isn’t anything that can’t be answered here

The TJ is fixable- anything you can move by hand that controls the axle is a concern-these things can drive as good as any small light truck, if not better.

Reactions: John Cooper
Love the Vert, I miss my 92 notch. Tremec 5sp, 3.73 gears and a 347 stroker with eagle internals, Holley intake, TB edelbrock aluminum heads, 5 lug axles and front spindles, tubular K member. Dyno tuned to 425hp.

Sorry got off topic :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks guys.

I didnt know what kind of lift so that is helpful boogieman. Looks like you and deadbeat dont like those steering components.

Dpa is dropped pitman arm?

Why would someone have added these?

Initially i thought everything up there looked pretty rigid but im not afraid to swap it back if factory stuff works with the lift. I have all the parts in a box from previous owner.

Joe

Ok i have read a little more on the dpa and dropped trac bar mount.

Can i try just a factory pa with the dropped trac bar? Or am i better off to put both back to factory? Can i use that trac bar with factory mounting location?

I am about to go out and see if the factory trac bar mount has been molested or not….

Was too early to wake the wife up on my way out

Looks like everyone says no dropped PA

If it is still there i am wondering if i can use the trac bar i have mounted to factory spot.

Next option is change back to stock pa and leave trac bar alone with drop

3rd option is put factory trac bar and factory pa back

Let me know what you guys would do

Welcome aboard. My Jeep kinda does what you are describing. It gets a little jerky going thru roundabouts and such.
The only part of the suspension I haven't addressed yet is the control arms. The one you can move by hand is definitely a problem.
I'm sure folks with more experience than me will be along shortly after they get a little coffee in them.