First metal saw thoughts

@TJ Starting Check out this review of what I think is the same model
https://www.protoolreviews.com/skilsaw-dry-cut-metal-saw-review/
FWIW at the price HD lists for the above saw maybe consider the Mikita that @mrblaine spoke of in his earlier post.
Maybe if you ask nice he will provide you with his saw’s model number for an apples to apples price comparison.

The saws that I have experience with are all way under the skill saw price point

Reactions: TJ Starting
@TJ Starting Check out this review of what I think is the same model
https://www.protoolreviews.com/skilsaw-dry-cut-metal-saw-review/
FWIW at the price HD lists for the above saw maybe consider the Mikita that @mrblaine spoke of in his earlier post.
Maybe if you ask nice he will provide you with his saw’s model number for an apples to apples price comparison.

The saws that I have experience with are all way under the skill saw price point
Mine is the 12" Makita.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have to agree on Makita metal saws... I have a LC1230 that I picked up from the Amazon Warehouse. It was discounted to $380 because it had a scratch on the table which has long since been obliterated by many more scratches.

Unlike an abrasive saw you don’t have that mess of fine powder everywhere, you can slice off a hair when needed, the metal stays relatively cool, you can cut aluminum without needing a special disc, it has great chip collection, etc.

However, due to the variety of projects that I take on, if I had the room in my garage that doubles as a workshop and could only purchase one metal saw, I think a vertical bandsaw would have been my first choice.

Since I don’t have the room, this chop saw (paired with a portaband with a swag table) that I can throw on a shelf when not needed has been one of my better tool purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: fixmysix
Here's another type of dry cut metal saw. I've cut through 1/4" metal plate with this.

Saw - Metal 2 (800x531).jpg