First Moab trip Thanksgiving week

CWERN05

Long time reader, first time
Poster....Anyway, the family and I decided to take the time off work and spend thanksgiving week in Moab instead of with extended family. Already catching flak for that decision....We arrive Sunday and leave the Saturday of that week. We live in the high desert of California and we are taking two days in the motorhome to make the trek. Once we roll into town we are staying at the Moab valley rv resort. Our Jeep is a 99TJ on 35’s, 44’s front and rear and both locked, winch, bumpers, high lines front and rear, rockers, corner guards and gas tank skid. Currently undergoing a TT and a Golen stroker swap. I mention this for questions further on.

1. For a first timer what are the must see trails? I like challenging trails but the wife and daughter are in the Jeep so nothing crazy. They also enjoy the scenery more than anything.

2. Unfortunately we are traveling ourselves and will be on the trail alone, unless we meet folks around town. Aside from the normal safety preparations, any recommendations and what are the trails to stay away from if you aren’t with a group?

3. Knowing how our Jeep is built, are there trails I shouldn’t attempt? I don’t mind bouncing off a few rocks here and there but not looking to trash the Jeep, especially with the wife and daughter in the rig.

4. Anyone here headed to Moab for thanksgiving this year?

We are hoping it won’t be too cold and we are able to enjoy our time. Any info and suggestions are much appreciated!

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Hell’s Revenge for sure. Also close to town. The obstacle Hell’s Gate is doable with a spotter. Keep the rig level. I wouldn’t attempt the obstacle named Escalator. The line is too difficult to find without a seasoned veteran. Stay out of the deep hot tubs. A few smaller are doable. Lots of people usually in the trail, and people usually willing to help.

Lowranger, originally from Texas but work brought me out this way wound up meeting my wife here and will probably finish my career here before leaving. We are near Edwards AFB. You?

Hell’s Revenge for sure. Also close to town. The obstacle Hell’s Gate is doable with a spotter. Keep the rig level. I wouldn’t attempt the obstacle named Escalator. The line is too difficult to find without a seasoned veteran. Stay out of the deep hot tubs. A few smaller are doable. Lots of people usually in the trail, and people usually willing to help.
Awesome. Great feedback. Hoping we run into someone out there that has plenty of experience so we can feel more comfortable going out and doing some of these obstacles. The Jeep is plenty capable, it’s my skill with the family inside that makes me second guess tackling things without someone to spot who has been there and done that.

Reactions: lowranger
Poison Spyder Mesa also close to town and doable. All obstacles doable too.

Your Jeep is plenty capable. Great build. I absolutely love the description.

Poison Spyder Mesa also close to town and doable. All obstacles doable too.

Your Jeep is plenty capable. Great build. I absolutely love the description.
I’ll check that one out, it has not been on my radar.

Thanks, it has been a long project done over about 6 years. We typically flat tow behind the motorhome but it has gotten built a little beyond that. Too much wear and tear on the Jeep so we just got a trailer to put it on. Works out well too if we break something I don’t have to worry about how I’m getting it home.

Where in Washington are you? I was in Seattle for a few years recently. Loved the three months of summer, couldn’t get used to the rain. Wife and I are both warm sunshine people haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: alittleoff
If its your family's 1st time , I would check out Arches National Park. And Top of the world, Long's Canyon just to drive under the rock...Kane Creek.

If its your family's 1st time , I would check out Arches National Park. And Top of the world, Long's Canyon just to drive under the rock...Kane Creek.
Will do thanks for the recommendation. Since we are there for 5 solid days our plan was to see both parks and also do the typical touristy stuff along with some good Jeep trails!

Reactions: oldjeepman
I’ll check that one out, it has not been on my radar.

Thanks, it has been a long project don’t over about 6 years. We typically flat toe behind the motorhome but it has gotten built a little beyond that. Too much wear and tear on the Jeep so we just got a trailer to put it on. Works out well too if we break something I don’t have to worry about how I’m getting it home.

Where in Washington are you? I was in Seattle for a few years recently. Loved the three months of summer, couldn’t get used to the rain. Wife and I are both warm sunshine people haha.
That's the same reason I tow my Jeep on a trailer.

Reactions: alittleoff
You should also go to "Dead Horse Point". Get there by going through "Gemini Bridges" and come back through "Long Canyon". Pretty much sight seeing trip, and two wheel drive. I've done that one twice makes for a fun day loop.

Reactions: Sea Cot
OP- your vacation plans are basically what I did last week on vacation except swap the RV for a condo, a rented JKR instead of the LJ , and add a 14yo son. I rented a JKR on 37s and drove Fins N Things, Gemini Bridges Rd, Hell's Revenge (x2), and Poison Spider Mesa.

In your planning, check out for general trail information: https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

I'd recommend getting a copy of https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20 Pay attention to the difficulty ratings, notable obstacles, and approximate travel time.

I have AT&T mobile service. Coverage was good on Fins and Hell's Revenge (HR). We didn't drive Porcupine Rim. Coverage was spotty on Gemini. We did not have service on Poison Spider.

I'd choose trails based on your family's tolerance for motion sickness, heights, and off-camber driving. I'd also choose trails based on your family's ability to communicate in stressful situations- navigation, spotting, and winching.

Fins is an excellent 1st timer trail. It's close to town, one-direction travel, convenient escape/bail-out options, frequently traveled, well-marked, ~3hr time commitment, offers fun "intro to slickrock" obstacles, and has nice scenery. My 11yo daughter vomited about half-way through the drive. So, instead of a family drive on Hell's Revenge we opted to see the Gemini Bridges.

If the family handled Fins just fine, I'd recommend HR. The trail is well marked, frequently traveled, a 2-3hr time commitment, offers a great view of the river and sunset, and most challenging sections can be bypassed (Hell's Gate, Escalator, Hot Tubs, and Tip Over Challenge). The potential issues are two-way traffic in some sections, and some quite long and steep ascents and descents without bypass options. The lines are easy to see and follow.

I'd caution against Poison Spider with the family alone. It has less traffic than Fins and HR, it is probably out of your cell range, a 4-6hr commitment, and many obstacles do not have bypass routes. For example, in this pic the JK is on mostly flat Earth while the front bumper is nearly touching the hillside. A winch anchor lies just beyond the outcrop to the left-middle of the trail. My wife wouldn't be game for this climb, nor would she be game for running winch line under calm (hey, let's winch up) or pressure (OMG, hook the line or calamity will happen!) situations.

20190731_113654[1].jpg

The girls opted out of the HR and Poison Spider trips. My son preferred the HR trail, he said it was more fun. I preferred the Poison Spider trail because the scenery was excellent, offered a variety of trail conditions, and the features were challenging and exciting.

Reactions: JMT
OP- your vacation plans are basically what I did last week on vacation except swap the RV for a condo, a rented JKR instead of the LJ , and add a 14yo son. I rented a JKR on 37s and drove Fins N Things, Gemini Bridges Rd, Hell's Revenge (x2), and Poison Spider Mesa.

In your planning, check out for general trail information: https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

I'd recommend getting a copy of https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20&tag=wranglerorg-20 Pay attention to the difficulty ratings, notable obstacles, and approximate travel time.

I have AT&T mobile service. Coverage was good on Fins and Hell's Revenge (HR). We didn't drive Porcupine Rim. Coverage was spotty on Gemini. We did not have service on Poison Spider.

I'd choose trails based on your family's tolerance for motion sickness, heights, and off-camber driving. I'd also choose trails based on your family's ability to communicate in stressful situations- navigation, spotting, and winching.

Fins is an excellent 1st timer trail. It's close to town, one-direction travel, convenient escape/bail-out options, frequently traveled, well-marked, ~3hr time commitment, offers fun "intro to slickrock" obstacles, and has nice scenery. My 11yo daughter vomited about half-way through the drive. So, instead of a family drive on Hell's Revenge we opted to see the Gemini Bridges.

If the family handled Fins just fine, I'd recommend HR. The trail is well marked, frequently traveled, a 2-3hr time commitment, offers a great view of the river and sunset, and most challenging sections can be bypassed (Hell's Gate, Escalator, Hot Tubs, and Tip Over Challenge). The potential issues are two-way traffic in some sections, and some quite long and steep ascents and descents without bypass options. The lines are easy to see and follow.

I'd caution against Poison Spider with the family alone. It has less traffic than Fins and HR, it is probably out of your cell range, a 4-6hr commitment, and many obstacles do not have bypass routes. For example, in this pic the JK is on mostly flat Earth while the front bumper is nearly touching the hillside. A winch anchor lies just beyond the outcrop to the left-middle of the trail. My wife wouldn't be game for this climb, nor would she be game for running winch line under calm (hey, let's winch up) or pressure (OMG, hook the line or calamity will happen!) situations.

View attachment 108774

The girls opted out of the HR and Poison Spider trips. My son preferred the HR trail, he said it was more fun. I preferred the Poison Spider trail because the scenery was excellent, offered a variety of trail conditions, and the features were challenging and exciting.
That is great gouge! Thanks a bunch and will definitely get the book you recommended. Sounds like y’all had a great time and we are excited for our trip. Planning this trip has actually made the summer ending tolerable!

Reactions: Sea Cot
That is great gouge! Thanks a bunch and will definitely get the book you recommended. Sounds like y’all had a great time and we are excited for our trip. Planning this trip has actually made the summer ending tolerable!

If you don't drive Poison Spider, do drive to the trailhead. The parking area is off a paved road (Potash Rd). On the way, check out the petroglyphs (can't miss the sign for 'em). Hike around the trailhead to see dinosaur tracks, too.

My wife and I really enjoyed 7 mile Rim. It's out of town a little, but it has some awesome scenery and not too difficult.
20160513_114614.jpg
20160513_115942.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney
X2