First modification

KcTj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi. First Jeep. (2005 lj). First post. First mod..., get to that in a second.
Been lurking around the forum for months. Been looking to buy a Tj for the same time. I finally bought a 2005 lj. The ride was good but “bumpy”. I expected about the same. But I decided to research tire pressures on the forum. Great resource. I was prompted to investigate the tire pressure on Nora. (the Jeep). New 33x12.5x15 BFG at ko. So, down came the pressure from near 40 down to 30. Pressure went up to 32 after driving. The ride smoothed out noticeably. So there it is. I modified the air pressure in the tires.

Hi. First Jeep. (2005 lj). First post. First mod..., get to that in a second.
Been lurking around the forum for months. Been looking to buy a Tj for the same time. I finally bought a 2005 lj. The ride was good but “bumpy”. I expected about the same. But I decided to research tire pressures on the forum. Great resource. I was prompted to investigate the tire pressure on Nora. (the Jeep). New 33x12.5x15 BFG at ko. So, down came the pressure from near 40 down to 30. Pressure went up to 32 after driving. The ride smoothed out noticeably. So there it is. I modified the air pressure in the tires.
Drop it down to about 25 and you will really be happy.

I had the same experience, when I first got my TJ the ride was so harsh I couldn't even adjust the radio volume while driving because I was bouncing around so much. After reading through the forum I checked my sire pressure & the PO had it set around 40psi. I dropped it to 25ish & it rode beautifully after that with nice even tire wear.

Reactions: Blondie70
Second mod will be to see what shocks you have and replace them if they have a RC, RE, or ProComp sticker on them. :unsure:
Yes, that's another thing I did that drastically improved my ride quality. The shocks installed on my TJ when I purchased it were some brand no one on here had ever heard of, so I went with the Rancho's & have been happy ever since.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I went from 40 to 32 (stock size tires). While I didn't notice a difference in ride (which is fine BTW), it made it easier to mount the spare. When I upgrade to 31s, I'll try some lower pressures.