First post / new owner

Uncommon

Picked up my 2002 sahara this weekend. 144k miles and in, what appears to be, very good stock condition. I am thrilled to have a TJ. I was going to buy a new JL, but at the end of the day, I just could not make myself spend that much money on a new jeep. And honestly, I like the smaller size of the TJ.

The jeep seems to run well, other than the heat blowing out lukewarm air along with the fan speed only working on high. I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL, but some youtube watching showed that a resistor and a heat actuator should fix it.

The mods I want to do? First thing are headlights. I want some bright headlights that are HOPEFULLY, plug and play. It looks like someone has mounted some aftermarket headlights on the bumper, so I'd like to replace those, too.

Only other mod I want to do is wheels and tires. I would like to have 33 inch tires. I took the jeep to a shop today and they told me that a 2.5 inch lift would be plenty for 33 inch tires and that I didn't need a lift, but would need new coils and shocks. I'll do that in the next few months, though. There will be many more questions coming later.

Reactions: Chris and Big Red 1
Headlights. Don’t cheap out. You get what you pay for. Get Truck Lites or JW Speaker.
For a lift with 33”s. A 2” or 2.5” lift with a 1.25” body lift and 1” motor lift is nice set up.

Welcome! The forums have quite a bit of information and help me out a lot with almost everything on my tj. There is a how to/discussion on headlights that will y’all you about most aftermarket led lights for your tj on here

Welcome to the forum!

For the headlights, check out this thread:
Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Be careful with these things... I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle where it's possible to spend money in a quicker fashion.

But at the same time, they are an absolute blast to drive!

Congratulations on the new Jeep. Your fan can be fixed by replacing the resistor which is essentially behind the glove box and a little lower down. Easy to do. These rigs become addictive so my advice is to ask questions and study your plan of attack before diving in. You will get tons of advice from local vendors, friends and here as well. You better post some pictures quickly. Without pics it didn't happen. My advice before lift, thoroughly review the whole jeep and make a list of what you have to do and what you want to do. Then prioritize your Jeep's needs in direct relations with the thickness of your wallet. The cheapest part about owning a Jeep is buying the Jeep. Once you get it set up, they don't demand too much. BTW, I also suggest you look at what kind of driving and wheeling you will be doing and do not over do the Jeep. A stock Jeep will do many of the tasks most people want to perform.

Reactions: lowranger
Only other mod I want to do is wheels and tires. I would like to have 33 inch tires.

First thing I would do is find out what gears you have in the jeep.

Because once you put on 33's you might end up hating yourself.
Wranglers are not like pickups that have extra horsepower and don't care what size tires.

I have driven jeeps with 33's and 3.07 gears. It sucks. Also do you have a auto or manual. That will make a difference also.

Reactions: AndyG
LOL....I thought I'd be lucky, after one day, to have one comment on my post, no less five posts. Thanks for the advice/links!

I love the line "a stock jeep will do many of the tasks most people want to do." I like thinking that I don't have to get crazy with it. This probably doesn't apply to most people here, but the main reason I want mine to be taller with bigger tires is mostly for looks. I'd like to think I am this big off road guy, but mostly I want it to just look good. Any off roading I do will not be heavy duty rock climbing. Mine will most be mud/snow.

i have no idea what gears I have in the jeep and really don't know how to find out. It's a sahara and an automatic. I'm guessing it just has the base gearing.

Headed to the headlight thread. I'm anxious to get some lighting on it. I'm a sucker for lighting. I feel like I have a lot fo money to spend on this thing, because I didn't spend the money on a new one. Yep, rationalizing...LOL

Reactions: lowranger and Chris
A few threads you'll find very useful:

Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications
What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)
How do I determine my axle gear ratio?

One thing I will say is that for most of us (myself included) the bigger tires and lift is about looks. I don't need 35s and a 5" lift by any means. With what I use my TJ for, I'd be find with 31s and a 2" lift (which I should have stuck with). But, I got sucked down the rabbit hole (which is a very serious thing with Jeeps) and all I can tell you (and warn you about) is that the bigger you go, the more expensive it gets (to do it right at least)!

But a mostly stock Jeep with 31s and a 2" lift with lockers would go just about anywhere that most of us need it to.

Reactions: Flivver250
So many different options. Don't be in a hurry. Drive it and wheel with it some and see what you would like to change or improve.
And yes.....we do NEED to see a picture of your TJ. It's just a thing in here.... We need pictures.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Run your vin through a search engine and review what options your Jeep came with. That is a great starting point. +2 on the advice above on a 2" lift and 31s. You need to be a math wiz when you start going taller. You will wish you paid attention and learned more about geometry, angles and ratios when you were in school. It all comes into play and it doesn't always add up the way you want.

A word of advise, start with a 2" lift and 31's. Run it that way for a while. You'll thank me later.
LOL.....you don't have to tell me twice. I am a first class forum listener. I had a car one time that I wanted lowered and I bought some coilovers, and once they were installed, it just destroyed the love I had for the car. If you all think a two inch lift and 31's are what I need then I'll do that. I just wanted it to look more aggressive. It's got 30's on it now, so I doubt a two inch lift and 31's will do much, but I would rather do the 31's over messing up the geometry of the jeep.

Run your vin through a search engine and review what options your Jeep came with. That is a great starting point. +2 on the advice above on a 2" lift and 31s. You need to be a math wiz when you start going taller. You will wish you paid attention and learned more about geometry, angles and ratios when you were in school. It all comes into play and it doesn't always add up the way you want.
I run the VIN through google and didn't really find much, but the only thing I did learn is that it is a series2 series p, for whatever that's worth.

I could pull a carfax on it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't give you the information that I am wanting about the gearing/differentials and so forth.

will post pic's of the jeep tomorrow.

I have a 3 1/2" lift with 33" tires. I don't plan on going any higher or taller tires, I like mine where it is.
IMG_20170905_175252419_HDR.jpg

Reactions: dangjalopy
I found out where to get the build code and mine has, from what I can tell, the worst combination, so I guess 31's would be the best choice. Thank goodness I singed in here and posted about this!

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle

I found out where to get the build code and mine has, from what I can tell, the worst combination, so I guess 31's would be the best choice. Thank goodness I singed in here and posted about this!

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
5-speed manual, or auto?
Edit: never mind, saw it above...

Last edited:
I like the tan top on white! Here's mine on a OME 2.5" lift and 31's. I ran mine in this configuration for 5 years and wheeled the snot out of it.
P1040408.JPG