First ride with the top down and more

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
So one of my jobs is a musician and I work two days a week a little over 1 1/2 hours away in the mountains in a very beautiful area for 6 months a year. My rear window won't unzip since it is the original top, but I can unzip the sides and posted a thread about it, but this deserves a thread IMHO. It was a beautiful day and I really wanted to ride to work, about 70 miles with the top down. I got it down and off I went. Talk about a wonderful experience and just downright fun. Most of my route is on roads from 35mph to 55mph, so no 70mph stuff which is nice. I am so excited to do it again, and I really don't usually look forward to the trip, been doing this for over 10 years. Oh wait there is more. After driving with no top, I am feeling I need no doors on my journey and thinking of changing my plans for my Jeep. Less is more. lol In my area I do have to watch for rain at any time, so I might have to have some sort of top to throw on. (suggestions?) I want my interior to be more water resistant, so any tips on this would be helpful? Waterproof seat covers? Bed liner the interior floor, but I sort of want to keep the carpet if possible? No rear seat? Thinking about the Quadratec mirrors as they seem to be a simple, reasonably priced option. Oh man, here we go. Here is where I work. They have an off road Jeep Rubicon academy to learn off roading as well and there is a TON of off roading up that way and Jeeps are everywhere.

http://www.nemacolin.com/experience/itineraries/adventure

o.jpg

So one of my jobs is a musician and I work two days a week a little over 1 1/2 hours away in the mountains in a very beautiful area for 6 months a year. My rear window won't unzip since it is the original top, but I can unzip the sides and posted a thread about it, but this deserves a thread IMHO. It was a beautiful day and I really wanted to ride to work, about 70 miles with the top down. I got it down and off I went. Talk about a wonderful experience and just downright fun. Most of my route is on roads from 35mph to 55mph, so no 70mph stuff which is nice. I am so excited to do it again, and I really don't usually look forward to the trip, been doing this for over 10 years. Oh wait there is more. After driving with no top, I am feeling I need no doors on my journey and thinking of changing my plans for my Jeep. Less is more. lol In my area I do have to watch for rain at any time, so I might have to have some sort of top to throw on. (suggestions?) I want my interior to be more water resistant, so any tips on this would be helpful? Waterproof seat covers? Bed liner the interior floor, but I sort of want to keep the carpet if possible? No rear seat? Thinking about the Quadratec mirrors as they seem to be a simple, reasonably priced option. Oh man, here we go. Here is where I work. They have an off road Jeep Rubicon academy to learn off roading as well and there is a TON of off roading up that way and Jeeps are everywhere.

http://www.nemacolin.com/experience/itineraries/adventure

View attachment 42509
Have some beer ready for when you attmept to get the doors off for the first time hahahahaha. Took mine off this wknd and it was brutal to say the least. Tons of wd40 and every bit of strength I could muster. No clue how I don’t have a hernia. The key is to lift up and away side to side until you see it giving loose. Wouldn’t change it now tho lol worth the hassle.

After you get the doors off, sand and clean the hinge pins and barrels, then a light coat of grease. This greatly aids in subsequent removals.

Reactions: Chris
My hinges are brand new, so they will come off like butter. You can see them on my Jeep here.

There is probably a list of things to do to your Jeep if you want to run with no top and some bikini top instead if it rains. If anyone knows of a list please shoot me a link. I will search tonight and post one if I find one. Probably a total newbie type of thing, so sorry about that.

05192018922.jpg