First time Jeep owner!

37Smith

Hi everyone! I just joined the Jeep family with this '99 Wrangler Sport. It's perfect for my wife, daughter and I to cruise around and hit the beach here in Ormond Beach, FL. It has 150,000 miles on an inline 6, automatic trans. From what I've read and a couple of buddies have told me is that it's a 300,000 miler as long as maintenance is taken care of. It already has what I'm assuming is about a 4" lift, 33s, cold air induction, new exhaust all the way back including the exhaust manifold, BestTop, custom bumpers, taillight guards, KC lights and sound bar. I'm pretty stoked about it! It's really clean and never been in an accident. I'm excited to join your forum to see what I can learn. Thank you!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

SCORE! That's a beautiful TJ! It looks super clean, love the color, and I love the half doors too.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: 37Smith
Thank you! From what I can tell it's the original paint. Never repainted. Very clean inside and out. Are there any pitfalls I should know about with the TJ?

It is an original color, so I don't think it's a repaint either. It's just not a color I see all that often, which makes me like it more.

As far as pitfalls, these things are for the most part bulletproof. As long as you do scheduled routine maintenance on them and expect to replace little electrical sensors here and there (make certain you always use OE Mopar replacement sensors when you have to, because our Jeeps are notorious for not liking the aftermarket replacement sensors), you won't be disappointed.

There's a guy on here with the original 4.0 engine in his TJ and 600k miles on it!!! He said that he hasn't done anything at all to the engine internals, just replaced the usual stuff you'd expect such as sensors, gaskets, cooling system parts, etc. So in other words, these engines are built like tanks.

I'd tell you to watch out for rust if you live in a rust belt area (since our TJs are notorious for the frame rusting out), but Florida isn't one of those areas, so you should be fine!

Now that is the way to introduce your new Jeep! Plenty of photos, and all the right information...

Welcome to the TJ forum that will help you enjoy your new ride.

How long before your daughter lays claim to the Tj?
Thank you! I think she already has. She was helping me drop the top the other day and mentioned she only has four more years before she starts driving. LOL!

Reactions: Chris and LTTJ
Thank you! I need to add steps or nerf bar style steps. Not sure yet which style or brand to go with yet.
Some on here (including me) are running these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NP1PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They provide a decent amount of body protection, are simple to install (without any drilling of new holes), don't sacrifice too much ground clearance, work well as steps, and would look good with your current bumpers.

Or these, which are stouter, and mount to the frame (still no drilling), but you have to finish them yourself, and they cost more than the BA...:

http://detoursusa.com/dropkicks.php

Last edited:
Those Warn bumpers are sweet.
Really nice looking ride, perfect tires, and love the half doors.
Congrats, and welcome!

I also a little jealous about you driving on the beach in FL, thats one thing I wasn't able to do before I moved.

Some on here (including me) are running these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NP1PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They provide a decent amount of body protection, are simple to install (without any drilling of new holes), don't sacrifice too much ground clearance, work well as steps, and would look good with your current bumpers.

Or these, which are stouter, and mount to the frame, but you have to finish them yourself, and cost more...:

http://detoursusa.com/dropkicks.php
Thanks for the link! I'm also familiar with Detours. I know Mark personally. Great guy, great family! We lived close to each other when I lived in Kentucky. We got to know each other when he came to the custom fab shop I used to work at to get some parts quoted for laser cutting. His stuff is definitely built to last but is way more than what I need since I won't be rock crawling.
Those Warn bumpers are sweet.
Really nice looking ride, perfect tires, and love the half doors.
Congrats, and welcome!

I also a little jealous about you driving on the beach in FL, thats one thing I wasn't able to do before I moved.
Jeep + Beach= Love!

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the link! I'm also familiar with Detours. I know Mark personally. Great guy, great family! We lived close to each other when I lived in Kentucky. We got to know each other when he came to the custom fab shop I used to work at to get some parts quoted for laser cutting. His stuff is definitely built to last but is way more than what I need since I won't be rock crawling.

Jeep + Beach= Love!
If all you need is a step, I'd look for a set of OEM takeoffs. I found a set for a previous TJ on Craigslist for $50.