First time Jeeper

sloan

Hello everyone. I'm a complete noob to jeeps and this forum. I have much to learn. I bought a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. There were several mods already made to it before I bought it and I'm not sure what is a mod and what is stock. I've had jeep on the brain since my friend offered to sell it to me so I am eager to learn but trying to be reasonable about spending (note the word 'trying').

I was glad to see such an informative group here. I'll add more photos later... but for now... Here is my dog approved Jeep! I OWN A JEEP!!!!!
o7pBjSa.jpg

Welcome to the forum! We've got a great bunch of guys here, you'll come to find that.

Can't go wrong with red either, it's my favorite color for a TJ. I'll bet your dogs like riding in it, huh?

Reactions: sloan
Welcome to the forum! First thing to do is a full maintenance; all fluids, plugs, wires, air filter, etc. Check all the front and rear suspension, u joints, front wheel bearings. Once you know she is solid, time to decide what your plans are as far as usage. Then break out the check book :D

Some reading material for ya...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-fluid-capacities.195/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-stock-specifications.71/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! We've got a great bunch of guys here, you'll come to find that.

Can't go wrong with red either, it's my favorite color for a TJ. I'll bet your dogs like riding in it, huh?
They loved it. That was the first thing I bought for the jeep and my dogs.... seat belt lead/harness for them. Took them out for a spin yesterday. I think next buy will be a bikini top for it so they can get more shade. I have a hard top for it but weather is too perfect to not have the top off.
Thanks for the welcome :)

Yep, I can see big dogs like that loving being in a Jeep. That's probably like being in doggy heaven for them!

Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of great and knowledgeable TJ owners here. If in doubt, ask and some one will help you find the answer. Enjoy your new ride. Jeeping in the summer time with the top off is the best feeling.

Thank you for the info Rob! I'll definitely read up on it. My son is a mechanic and gave it a good look over before I bought it. It sat for a good long while so I'm still stretching it's legs and finding a few issues that were probably the result of sitting.

Reactions: Chris
They loved it. That was the first thing I bought for the jeep and my dogs.... seat belt lead/harness for them. Took them out for a spin yesterday. I think next buy will be a bikini top for it so they can get more shade. I have a hard top for it but weather is too perfect to not have the top off.
Thanks for the welcome :)
Welcome! Awesome. Nice red TJ. I'm biased to a red TJ myself!

I got the Spidershade. Others have the Alienshade and some swear by Bestop. I like my Spidershade. Stays on year round with Hardtop. Gives some relief from that hot TX sunshine!

Welcome! Awesome. Nice red TJ. I'm biased to a red TJ myself!

I got the Spidershade. Others have the Alienshade and some swear by Bestop. I like my Spidershade. Stays on year round with Hardtop. Gives some relief from that hot TX sunshine!
OHHHH that's what those ball things are. Found a couple rolling around the back floorboard. I definitely like that there is no header required. This is going on my need list just after rigging up some kind of hoist in my garage for the hard top.

OHHHH that's what those ball things are. Found a couple rolling around the back floorboard. I definitely like that there is no header required. This is going on my need list just after rigging up some kind of hoist in my garage for the hard top.
Yeah, spider balls they call them. I got 10 extras at Walmart for $4. They sent me the LJ version but it worked out nice on my TJ bc it gives more coverage over the back seat.

I got the Harken Hoist for around $150. Present from my hot wife. Little pain to put up but that's bc my ceiling joists aren't equally spaced. Works great though. Takes about 10-15 min to take off/put on top.