First TJ build!

Jeff97TJ

Hello all!

Wanted to start a this so I can kinda keep track of my progress as I go along. I first had a 2013 jk that made my obsession with jeeps start! I traded it in about 5 months ago on a truck due to the rough ride after a 3.5inch lift was installed and was bothering my back as a daily driver. I had intentions to buy a tj down the road and build, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up! I ended up with a 97 tj 4cyl. For 500$! The rearend was "claimed" to be rebuilt but there about 1/2-3/4 of an inch I can turn the pinion before it comes in contact with the ring gear so I know that I'll need to fix that and I will also need to fix the floor in the jeep as it appears to be missing LOL! My plan down the road is to do a 4.0L swap, 8.8 Ford Explorer rear housing swap and maybe a Dana 44 up front. The same time I do the engine swap I'm doing tummy tuck. 1" body lift is in the plan already. But my question is what would be the ideal height lift to run 35" tires with the 1" body and still get good wheel travel and keep the jeep stable?

Here's a few pictures I took with my phone. One is the frame that I forgot to mention is in excellent shape! I painted black and the other is the body that needs the work done to it.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

Welcome! Looks like you've got a fun project there.

The perfect height for 35" tires in my opinion would be a 4" suspension lift and 1" body lift (which then leaves you room to tuck the transfer case). That will give you plenty of room (and even more room if you get something like tube fenders).

As for lift brand, the most popular choices are Metalcloak and Currie, I strongly prefer the latter.

Reactions: TJ Nut
I was looking at metalcloak and currie, they both look like amazing kits!! I will take that into consideration forsure! There will be tube fenders or flat fenders at some point. Along with a lot of other stuff! The plan that's in my head will make me go bankrupt thought!! Lol!!!

Reactions: wormsTJ and Chris
Wranglers are massive money pits. I've probably put 15k into mine easily.

Outstanding! Another $500 TJ Wrangler build!! Picked one up for $500 back in May so good score! Getting a TJ this cheap lets you put all that money you saved on her into things that count like suspension, armor, axles, gears, lockers, rims, tires, winch & recovery gear. The stuff that matters off-road.

Reactions: Chris
hey guys I am installing a 5.3 and 4l60e in our 97 tj. I have motor and trans in but am having a time trying to figuring out the wiring for the trans. I need a contact, for I know someone has had this done way before me? any help would be thankful. [the son is about to go nuts]

Cost of jeep 5,000
Titan 4.9 stroker 3,000
New nv3550 5 speed 3,200
Rust free tub 1,500
Rust free frame 1,500
Ford 8.8 rear with truss 1,500
Factory hardtop with factory tint and rear wiper 900
Rear tubular bumper with tire swing 500
Front bumper 400
Winch not pictured 500
Name brand light bar not a cheap knock off 800
Custom marine leather front and rear seats 1,500
And I'd say just off the top of my head for new door skins new dash and interior 800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PhantomX and Chris
Cost of jeep 5,000
Titan 4.9 stroker 3,000
New nv3550 5 speed 3,200
Rust free tub 1,500
Rust free frame 1,500
Ford 8.8 rear with truss 1,500
Factory hardtop with factory tint and rear wiper 900
Rear tubular bumper with tire swing 500
Front bumper 400
Winch not pictured 500
Name brand light bar not a cheap knock off 800
Custom marine leather front and rear seats 1,500
And I'd say just off the top of my head for new door skins new dash and interior 800

Not as bad as I thought!

Not to mention all the high performance engine parts 3 core aluminum racing radiator dual battery tray set up borla header flowkooler water pump hellfire ignition kit dude I can keep going every nut and bolt is new

Well now about the custom chevy black paint with red metallic flake in it cost around 4,000 lol also I used kbs frame coater kit also I did the Eastwood internal frame coater kit as well

hey guys I am installing a 5.3 and 4l60e in our 97 tj. I have motor and trans in but am having a time trying to figuring out the wiring for the trans. I need a contact, for I know someone has had this done way before me? any help would be thankful. [the son is about to go nuts]
You will want to talk to Wayne Hartwig over on Pirate about your ECM & wiring harness for a GM LSx motor. He did my harness on the last 5.3/4L60E Jeep I built a few years back. He knows his stuff for sure, look for the vortec engine swap post with like 185 pages of posts. You can get most of your questions answered just by reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts. I pulled that 5.3 to install a Cummins 4BT/ZF5-42 5 speed instead. The 30+ MPG and uniqueness of an oil burner Jeep was motivation.

You will want to talk to Wayne Hartwig over on Pirate about your ECM & wiring harness for a GM LSx motor. He did my harness on the last 5.3/4L60E Jeep I built a few years back. He knows his stuff for sure, look for the vortec engine swap post with like 185 pages of posts. You can get most of your questions answered just by reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts. I pulled that 5.3 to install a Cummins 4BT/ZF5-42 5 speed instead. The 30+ MPG and uniqueness of an oil burner Jeep was motivation.
I don't think you're following we are taking the factory inline six 4.0 and making it a 5.0 basically

I think he was responding to @james coleman...

Looks like we have similar plans, I have been driving a stock 2000 TJ since I was 16... I recently bought a ford ranger to use as my daily and work truck so it looks like I can stop worrying about fuel milage on my TJ! So the plan is to get up to 35's and lock it up front and rear. I have a Ford 8.8 for the rear sitting on stands in my yard now, great minds think alike, right? As for lift my plan is 3.5 suspension and 1" body to clear 35's... we'll see what happens. Looking forward to seeing how everything goes!