First Trail in Big Bend National Park (and a final hurrah to my shocks)

aaronzachary

I went on a trip (far before quarantine) to Big Bend National Park, here in west Texas. The trip was about 8 hours and we started in the middle of the night to get a camping spot. The drive was loud, uncomfortable, and generally miserable (we've done it before - not with a soft top Jeep, and it's usually unremarkable until the sun rises and you're in the high desert near Marathon).

Fast forward, we've made camp, I cooked some lunch, I've had a nap and we jump on the trail - my doubt of my recent purchase of this LJR, the miserable drive that my ears are still ringing from, etc, all feel justified immediately.

Found a bonus Willy's in Marathon, who I found out later is actually owned by a friend of a friend - I'm trying my darnest to get it from him.

3936001834-R1-009-3.jpg3936001834-r1-013-5.JPG3936001834-r1-015-6.JPG3936001834-r1-035-16.JPG3936001834-r1-037-17.JPG3936001834-r1-051-24.JPG3937001835-r1-041-19.JPG3937001835-r1-023-10.JPG3937001835-r1-025-11.JPG3937001835-r1-021-9.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, awesome photos, and great looking Rubicon.

I've taken long trips in my TJ Rubicon with a soft top, and man was it unbearable. Loud and noisy to say the least! The hardtop is a lot better for long trips by a long shot. Unfortunately it takes a lot of the fun out of traveling in a Jeep!

Wow, awesome photos, and great looking Rubicon.

I've taken long trips in my TJ Rubicon with a soft top, and man was it unbearable. Loud and noisy to say the least! The hardtop is a lot better for long trips by a long shot. Unfortunately it takes a lot of the fun out of traveling in a Jeep!

A good fix for the noisy soft top is a hot heads liner they are amazing at cutting sound.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Looks like they don't make one for LJ's :( I would've bought it immediately.
I would give them a call and see if the liners are interchangeable. They are pretty long and I’ll bet they would custom make one if needed.

My LJ took three of us to Moab last year with the soft top and trail doors. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I am considering an intercom for when it’s topless though.

Reactions: JLLJ
My LJ took three of us to Moab last year with the soft top and trail doors. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I am considering an intercom for when it’s topless though.

An intercom, a good stereo, and some ear plugs is all I'd need. My stereo on my TJ was great at highway speeds.

Reactions: Apparition
I had a trip planned to BB, prior to all this crap breaking loose. I was not to keen on driving my LJ 8 hours to get out there as well; plan was to trailer. I'm guessing you are somewhere in Central Texas?

I've been on those same trails when I was living in San Antonio. That park is beautiful and amazing to explore. I owned a '94 Grand Cherokee at the time and it was a nice trail/travel vehicle.

I had a trip planned to BB, prior to all this crap breaking loose. I was not to keen on driving my LJ 8 hours to get out there as well; plan was to trailer. I'm guessing you are somewhere in Central Texas?
South of FTW. You will have to meet up with us at Hidden Falls sometime when we go.

South of FTW. You will have to meet up with us at Hidden Falls sometime when we go.
Not a problem, it's a 45 minute drive for me; and I'm at the shooting club out there quite often. Actually way more trigger time than trail time.

Thanks for the flashback! Years ago drove from Houston to Big Bend, Guadalupe, White Sands, El Paso and I’m sure a few place I’ve forgotten on a spring break camping, hiking trip. Riding with the soft top never bothered me. Having to sleep overnight in the TJ because I didn’t pay attention leaving Big Bend and ran out of gas sucked. We actually payed a guy to fill us from farm supply tank the next morning as it was a Sunday.

I‘m sure it is gone but was place in Big Bend you could pay like $5 for them to row you across river where guys happily enjoying cerveza muy fria drove you into a little town in beat up trucks to eat tacos and buy trinkets.

Reactions: Apparition
Thanks for the flashback! Years ago drove from Houston to Big Bend, Guadalupe, White Sands, El Paso and I’m sure a few place I’ve forgotten on a spring break camping, hiking trip. Riding with the soft top never bothered me. Having to sleep overnight in the TJ because I didn’t pay attention leaving Big Bend and ran out of gas sucked. We actually payed a guy to fill us from farm supply tank the next morning as it was a Sunday.

I‘m sure it is gone but was place in Big Bend you could pay like $5 for them to row you across river where guys happily enjoying cerveza muy fria drove you into a little town in beat up trucks to eat tacos and buy trinkets.
Now you need a passport to go.

I'm new here... so this is my first reply to any threads.

Two years ago, I made a 1300 mile, 24 hour straight through drive to Big Bend from my previous home in Kentucky with my '98 Sahara with a soft top. I'm 51 now and it was a little rough. But, tons better than back in my Air Force days as a younger man driving cross country in my '79 CJ-7...at least it had a hard top, though. I guess that prepared me for a life of Jeeps. :)

Nice LJ Rubicon you got there and loved your pics. That old Willys was sweet.

I don't know how this all works and don't want to hijack your thread, but if your interested, I could message you a link to my YouTube video from my trip. It's not much 4 wheelin. I'm an artist and went out there to paint and camp out.

IMG_4841.JPG