First trip to Barnwell Mountain (Gilmer, TX)

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
Went to Gilmer for the first time. Small group this time, just me & Larry Bird (a Rubicon Gladiator; white & makes lots of 3 point turns). Complaint #1, the map cost $3. Complaint #2, it's a piece of crap. We found signs for trails that weren't on the map, the ratings were different at the trailhead than they were on the map, and most trails had unmarked forks that weren't reflected on the map either. I don't mind an adventure, but I don't like the concept of not having any idea of how much trouble I'm heading into. The rating system was also a little less forgiving than what we've seen at Hot Springs or Bridgeport. A 2 star at Gilmer is probably going to have at least 1 challenging spot where you'll scrape if you're not 4" up. Not a huge problem, but it means the 3's are harder than 3's elsewhere. But that's all relative based on your personal experience. For perspective, we've never seen a 3 star that we thought was too sketch, but we found several that just weren't worth the risk of body damage...maybe that is the influence of the guy in the Gladiator who is making a big monthly payment, IDK.

The main roads were super dusty with lovely Texas red dirt, and when it lightly rained it turned into red mud flying everywhere. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the dust. They were also out in the wide open, so prepare to be hot. The trails were very well wooded & shady, plenty of technical stuff to work through, plenty of challenges. We'll definitely be back, but I'm not sure if it is worth the 5 hour trip that our Oklahoma friends would need to make.

Also, forgot to disconnect. D'oh.

image0.jpeg

Freaking prima donna Gladiator, I had to pull a tree out of his way because he could not make this here tight turn w/o scraping his rear fender flare. And he was too wide to shoot the uprights on the straight path. I'm impressed with what it can do and where he will take it, but three times in 2 trips I've had to use a snatch block to pull him sideways off an obstacle because it couldn't make the turn. Glad to be the hero, but I love my short wheelbase (except on really steep stuff where I poop my pants).

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Any chance you’re headed back here this weekend? Taking the LJ on Saturday just my wife and I looking for some other TJ’s on the trail

No plans for the next several weeks…it’s deer season.
Take your .270, slay a deer, and bring your buddy with the Gladiator to haul it out. Get to hunt and wheel!

Thanks for posting all these places up that you've been going. It'll help a lot when I'm finally able to make some longer trips up north. Only one I've been to so far is Hidden Falls but that was crazy fun.

I can't wait to hit hidden falls next year. I've heard awesome things about that place.
If you do and maybe want some company feel free to post your plan in Texas Jeepers in the region section. Theres several guys on there that frequent that area.

If you do and maybe want some company feel free to post your plan in Texas Jeepers in the region section. Theres several guys on there that frequent that area.
For sure, we'll try to organize something. Same to you, post up when you're planning to head out.

Reactions: TJ Starting