First trip to southwest Colorado

NskLJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just got back from a week in Ouray, Colorado. This was a treat, great little town, good trails, the views are amazing. None of the trails were technical but great trip. I have a lot of photos that are too big. I will resize and repost

4044D288-0DE8-4265-8D73-EDB9869D7D9A.jpeg

03EE3AAF-952D-455D-B39B-905381D23EB4.jpeg

5C42D6BC-E5AE-4241-97FA-03ADF7B8FE90.jpeg

C5999904-206C-4A0D-8204-CA9B2A369CC8.jpeg

Cool stuff. I ran through there once while doing the Alpine Loop. We went up over Ophir pass and down into Silverton. Spent the night there and then ran the rest of it. We hit Lake City and Ouray and then came back down through Telluride and back home.

Reactions: NskLJ
I'm on my way home from there now. Favorite place on earth.

Poughkeepsie gulch has a section I would call technical. Had a blast on it yesterday. Everybody talks about the wall but there are several other climbs littered with microwave to refrigerator sized rocks. I think it's been dug out pretty good by the side by sides because I don't remember those other areas being as challenging two years ago. Took us an hour and a half for three of us to cover 3/4 mile. One of my buddies almost cartwheeled backward on the wall, had both front tires in the air. What a ride lol

Reactions: JMT and NskLJ
I'm on my way home from there now. Favorite place on earth.

Poughkeepsie gulch has a section I would call technical. Had a blast on it yesterday. Everybody talks about the wall but there are several other climbs littered with microwave to refrigerator sized rocks. I think it's been dug out pretty good by the side by sides because I don't remember those other areas being as challenging two years ago. Took us an hour and a half for three of us to cover 3/4 mile. One of my buddies almost cartwheeled backward on the wall, had both front tires in the air. What a ride lol

I lead Poughkeepsie on our last day, cruised up the right side of the wall, I had to back up and give it a bump due to we tires. We had to give the Gladiator and Chevy Colorado a pull on that section but everyone made it up. There was a lot of water on that trail and we had some rain almost every day. That place is amazing, winters may be a little harsh though. One of the guys with us spends his summers meds in that area. He said most of the trails seemed washed out in areas and a lot more rock showing.

I lead Poughkeepsie on our last day, cruised up the right side of the wall, I had to back up and give it a bump due to we tires. We had to give the Gladiator and Chevy Colorado a pull on that section but everyone made it up. There was a lot of water on that trail and we had some rain almost every day. That place is amazing, winters may be a little harsh though. One of the guys with us spends his summers meds in that area. He said most of the trails seemed washed out in areas and a lot more rock showing.

I have heard they got a lot of late rain this season, and we actually had to come up with an alternative for a road out by Creede that the FS had closed to prevent further trail damage from people getting stuck in mud.

The wall seemed to really favor the LJ wheelbase. The guy that almost went backward (right side, his passenger rear tire fell in that hole) was in a longarm TJ on 35s, my shortarm LJ on 35s cruised right up, and my cousin's Tacoma with a 2" spacer lift and 32s drug a little but made it with only a little bit of wheelspin in the front from the lack of travel. My cousin grew up wheeling Toyotas in Colorado though so he really knows how to choose a line for an IFS rig.