Fishing Build

Bobohunter1776

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The thread about a hunting rig made me start thinking about fishing season. Got a couple of lakes I want to wheel into this summer. Anyone built their rigs for fishing specifically? I pretty much just throw my rod in when I'm hitting rivers close to me with my top off.

20220913_185459.jpg

Reactions: matkal and SPECWAR
Doesn’t matter if it is a hunting or fishing rig. You need to build it to accommodate the trails into where you want to go. Only difference is setting up the rig for the cargo you would like to haul.

I do take it when I go fishing every couple of weeks but I would'nt call it a Fishing rig. I did make a rod holder for my 9' rods so I don't have to break them down when I move to a different area but thats about the extent of the mods for fishing. Pretty sure I could get to just about any place in my Jeep to fish.

The challenge with a TJ for a fishing rig is there is no good place to mount a trolling motor.

In all seriousness,
I love to fish, and a jeep to go in makes it fun to get to the fun- really a TJ is about perfect/ throw in a few rods and tackle and go.

I live 15 minutes from a TVA dam on the Tennessee River, we have monster cat and saltwater stripers- fun stuff in heavy tailwater current.

when I was a kid I had a “Big Jim” action figure- It came with a jeep or 4wd truck and boat and tent- It pretty much was my life goal to be him as a child.

I am a diehard outdoors enthusiast. Between, all the different freshwater species, massive muskies, to float fishing rivers for trout my buddies and myself do it all. Not to mention hunting and Ice fishing/camping. I also fell in love with wheeling. I built the rig well enough to get me to any fishing spot I can think of or imagine by vehcile, short of walking to the VERY, VERY remote lakes. Do you need 35's, which I have, no. I probably do not need them. However, with 4.88's, my 5 speed and 35's I feel confident about any place I want to venture off into, making my own path at times as well. For back lake missions, you can't beat the hardtop for a small tinner. With the 4.88's we tow my buddies 16' tracker superguide without issue. (1700lb boat w/trailer before our electronics etc...). Like others said, you need to build the rig around the terrain you'll be tackling. The members here have awesome tips for building a sweet rig. The only thing I would say for having to wheel to your spots is grab some travel rods (I use St Croix stuff and love it). The first time I went wheeling for lake trout, I found myself breaking a couple legend tournaments... That sucked big time!

I am a diehard outdoors enthusiast. Between, all the different freshwater species, massive muskies, to float fishing rivers for trout my buddies and myself do it all. Not to mention hunting and Ice fishing/camping. I also fell in love with wheeling. I built the rig well enough to get me to any fishing spot I can think of or imagine by vehcile, short of walking to the VERY, VERY remote lakes. Do you need 35's, which I have, no. I probably do not need them. However, with 4.88's, my 5 speed and 35's I feel confident about any place I want to venture off into, making my own path at times as well. For back lake missions, you can't beat the hardtop for a small tinner. With the 4.88's we tow my buddies 16' tracker superguide without issue. (1700lb boat w/trailer before our electronics etc...). Like others said, you need to build the rig around the terrain you'll be tackling. The members here have awesome tips for building a sweet rig. The only thing I would say for having to wheel to your spots is grab some travel rods (I use St Croix stuff and love it). The first time I went wheeling for lake trout, I found myself breaking a couple legend tournaments... That sucked big time!
I'm probably gonna pick up a pretty short 2 weight 5 or 6 piece soon. I can break down my current rod pretty small but it's just kinda annoying to have to set it up everytime.

Reactions: Morks
When I take my TJ fishing I can barely fit my gear in the thing and forget about picking up a buddy to go with me

• Love
Reactions: Morks
When I take my TJ fishing I can barely fit my gear in the thing and forget about picking up a buddy to go with me

Yep. I've fit 4 people with all of our gear in mine before. Rather tight but we basically just had our rods and sling/chest packs but thats fly fishing. The only spin fishing I do is ice fishing and trying to fit all of my gear is something else.

That's what I've been thinking about doing. Just don't want to deal with a cargo rack so I'll probably find a way to mount it to my roll cage.

No cage on mine, i need to post up some pictures. It cost me about $12 in parts and mounts the rods from my wicnh guard, above the hood, with a couple of a magneticly attached leather loops above the windshield. Works really well.

Yea for me its saltwater, I carry 2 12FT poles, fishing cart, bucket, bait cooler and gear bag, chair plus bag for food and snacks at min. Sometimes I bring a weather pod bbq grill and small folding table.

Reactions: Rickyd