Fitting 33”/12.5” WITHOUT a SYE/driveshaft?

phucit1

Is it possible to fit 33/12.5’s without having to do a lift that needs a SYE & new driveshafts? I’m running an 06 TJ with a 4.0 & manual 6-speed. Haven’t done any mods yet. Bought the Jeep with 31/10.5’s. Wanting to step up size for the look, mainly. Will be getting new 15x10’s to mount the new tires. Won’t be doing any rock crawling in any near future. In Central IL, so I may find some trails & mudholes to play in. Not a daily driver. Recommendations are greatly appreciated. Links would be great!

Is it possible to fit 33/12.5’s without having to do a lift that needs a SYE & new driveshafts? I’m running an 06 TJ with a 4.0 & manual 6-speed. Haven’t done any mods yet. Bought the Jeep with 31/10.5’s. Wanting to step up size for the look, mainly. Will be getting new 15x10’s to mount the new tires. Won’t be doing any rock crawling in any near future. In Central IL, so I may find some trails & mudholes to play in. Not a daily driver. Recommendations are greatly appreciated. Links would be great!
Kind of. To replicate what the engineers did when designing the TJ, you need 4 inch springs to maintain the factory up travel. Uptravel matters on the road, just as it does off road.

Ever seen 33’s stuffed into the factory height TJ’s? Its an opinion, but I think it looks silly.

Last edited:
15x10 wheels are too wide for a 33x12.50 tire, stick with a 15x8. The advertised width of a tire is measured at the midpoint/widest part of the tire half-way up the sidewall. It is NOT the actual width of the tread and more importantly, it's not the width of the tire's mounting beads which are a couple inches narrower. I wouldn't run a 15x10 wheel until I got to a 13.5" or wider tire.

From what I've read if you don't lift the suspension more than 2.5 inches you *might* get away without a SYE. Just have to do it and see what your driveshaft angles are and whether you get vibrations.

And for 33s 2.5" springs combined with a 1" body lift would work in most situations. Basically anything short of serious wheeling.

Or you can just slap them on a stock suspension and hope you never see a speed bump.