Fixin' this four banger: exhaust

Kapaauwe

Howdy Jeep brethren,

This Jeep of mine isn’t very happy at the moment. She needs a complete exhaust. The cat and muffler are trashed, there are cracks in the tubing, a cracked manifold and broken manifold bolts. Ol girl is loud enough you’d think the thing was a diesel if I drove by.

I’m looking to replace everything in one go and have been researching replacements for several weeks. First and foremost I was curious if anyone had suggestions regarding parts or kits you’ve used on your own jeep, and what manifolds or headers you’ve paired with them. When I replace things I like to upgrade from standard components so I’m game to spend a little green if parts are quality. The goal is to keep the Jeep to a dull roar as far as exhaust notes go.

What has really caught my eye are the magnaflow replacement kits. They seem to be the best bang for your buck as far as quality bolt ons go. I don’t know if they’ll actually work together? You’d think so being from the same manufacturer but I’ve been burned before. The second one listed is out of stock and I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else online.

Here are links to what I’ve found.

muffler and tail pipe:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...k-Bv-Ay1izYmjsffa_tUdg4rcFK_i73hoCzeYQAvD_BwE
(the one on magnaflows website is like $600, big oof)

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...back-performance-exhaust-system?aces=10320073

Cat:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/magnaflow-directfit-california-catalytic-converter-9798-25l-tj.html
this California compliant bs is expensive but I’ll spend the money if it reduces emissions. Responsible Jeep recklessness is the motto

I’ve yet to call any local shops and see what they would charge. I enjoy working on the Jeep so I try not to take it anywhere. I’ll call around after I have a reasonable idea of what is out there Based on your suggestions.

hey y’all, I appreciate your time and knowledge! Let me know what you know

-Caleb

Having replaced entire exhausts a number of times on multiple TJs, the most cost efficient way to do it is to go down to your local exhaust shop and pay them. They'll build you one from scratch, it wont' take more than an hour or two, and each time it's cost me less than $300 including a new muffler.

All those systems you are linking to provide no advantage whatsoever over having your exhaust built locally by an exhaust shop, literally.

Reactions: TJ2
Up in the rust belt of NY I have had "custom" exhausts built for many different vehicles over the years. And to be honest they all were sh!t quality. They would screw up a bend and then put the torch on the pipe trying to fix it, screwing it up even more. One fell off within 5 miles where it was welded completely broke. They all rusted out in no time. The advantage of a TJ is many manufacturers produce exhaust systems that fit. My TJ will be needing one in the next year or so, so I am hoping someone here can recommend the best way to go. With all the salt roads here I definitely want stainless, and would suggest the same for Florida's salty air.
It also depends on how loud you would want it to sound. I would prefer 'church mouse's quiet. OP may want different.
There has been no good exhaust shop in my area for decades. Monroe, Midas, etc. The independent shops just put NAPA systems on. Maybe there are better shops down in Florida (boy I would hope so!) that do a better job.

Up in the rust belt of NY I have had "custom" exhausts built for many different vehicles over the years. And to be honest they all were sh!t quality. They would screw up a bend and then put the torch on the pipe trying to fix it, screwing it up even more. One fell off within 5 miles where it was welded completely broke. They all rusted out in no time. The advantage of a TJ is many manufacturers produce exhaust systems that fit. My TJ will be needing one in the next year or so, so I am hoping someone here can recommend the best way to go. With all the salt roads here I definitely want stainless, and would suggest the same for Florida's salty air.
It also depends on how loud you would want it to sound. I would prefer 'church mouse's quiet. OP may want different.
There has been no good exhaust shop in my area for decades. Monroe, Midas, etc. The independent shops just put NAPA systems on. Maybe there are better shops down in Florida (boy I would hope so!) that do a better job.
That's NY at it's best he-heh!
Screw it - go down in Texas, they don't do shit like that.

1581701591704.png

Reactions: Blondie70
Howdy Jeep brethren,

This Jeep of mine isn’t very happy at the moment. She needs a complete exhaust. The cat and muffler are trashed, there are cracks in the tubing, a cracked manifold and broken manifold bolts. Ol girl is loud enough you’d think the thing was a diesel if I drove by.

I’m looking to replace everything in one go and have been researching replacements for several weeks. First and foremost I was curious if anyone had suggestions regarding parts or kits you’ve used on your own jeep, and what manifolds or headers you’ve paired with them. When I replace things I like to upgrade from standard components so I’m game to spend a little green if parts are quality. The goal is to keep the Jeep to a dull roar as far as exhaust notes go.

What has really caught my eye are the magnaflow replacement kits. They seem to be the best bang for your buck as far as quality bolt ons go. I don’t know if they’ll actually work together? You’d think so being from the same manufacturer but I’ve been burned before. The second one listed is out of stock and I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else online.

Here are links to what I’ve found.

muffler and tail pipe:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...k-Bv-Ay1izYmjsffa_tUdg4rcFK_i73hoCzeYQAvD_BwE
(the one on magnaflows website is like $600, big oof)

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...back-performance-exhaust-system?aces=10320073

Cat:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/magnaflow-directfit-california-catalytic-converter-9798-25l-tj.html
this California compliant bs is expensive but I’ll spend the money if it reduces emissions. Responsible Jeep recklessness is the motto

I’ve yet to call any local shops and see what they would charge. I enjoy working on the Jeep so I try not to take it anywhere. I’ll call around after I have a reasonable idea of what is out there Based on your suggestions.

hey y’all, I appreciate your time and knowledge! Let me know what you know

-Caleb

So what did you end up doing? Any lessons learned for those of us with the 97–98 2.5L?

last I looked either Ca or NY require OEM cats or the equivalent if such a thing exists. Do the they make less emissions? I do not believe thats the case. Your either within the set standards or not. I think the BS in CA and NY is due to ignorant lefty politics. On my old 97 F250 I was quoted $1200 for a OEM cat If I was to replace it. We had to spend $2500 for the 2 on the 05 V6 taco the wife had, same shit in CA,yet another reason we fled the shit hole years ago. How FL rolls I have no idea,hopefully less idiotic. Glad to see your not gonna chump out on replacing the cat, you'd be sorry if it fell off, cause it stinks without one.

last I looked either Ca or NY require OEM cats or the equivalent if such a thing exists. Do the they make less emissions? I do not believe thats the case. Your either within the set standards or not. I think the BS in CA and NY is due to ignorant lefty politics. On my old 97 F250 I was quoted $1200 for a OEM cat If I was to replace it. We had to spend $2500 for the 2 on the 05 V6 taco the wife had, same shit in CA,yet another reason we fled the shit hole years ago. How FL rolls I have no idea,hopefully less idiotic. Glad to see your not gonna chump out on replacing the cat, you'd be sorry if it fell off, cause it stinks without one.

What kind of smell would it be? I’m actually wondering if that might explain the recent change in smell of my exhaust.

The best recipe I can give for a non CA 2.5 is this:
Stick with an original manifold with the update studs. Find an original down pipe as the majority of the aftermarket ones are not mandrel bent and suck. Use a Dynomax universal cat and weld in an O2 bung. Follow that with your pick for a cat back with a welded muffler. This gives you the best you can ask for in the performance department (it’s a 2.5 don’t expect anything) and reliability.

The best recipe I can give for a non CA 2.5 is this:
Stick with an original manifold with the update studs. Find an original down pipe as the majority of the aftermarket ones are not mandrel bent and suck. Use a Dynomax universal cat and weld in an O2 bung. Follow that with your pick for a cat back with a welded muffler. This gives you the best you can ask for in the performance department (it’s a 2.5 don’t expect anything) and reliability.

I recently replaced my manifold. Can you tell me what you mean about "updated studs"? I found that mine had been snapped, and the shop that welded my manifold some 20 years ago had apparently replaced them with bolts. So if I get around to installing new studs, tell me more?

I recently replaced my manifold. Can you tell me what you mean about "updated studs"? I found that mine had been snapped, and the shop that welded my manifold some 20 years ago had apparently replaced them with bolts. So if I get around to installing new studs, tell me more?
There was a TSB for the far front and rear studs that are prone to breaking. The OE PNs for the update are:

06036193AA stud
06036221AA washer
06036171AA nut/washer
33003332 spacer

You will need two of each and change the nut torque value to 180in lb on just those two studs.

Reactions: SSTJ
There was a TSB for the far front and rear studs that are prone to breaking. The OE PNs for the update are:

06036193AA stud
06036221AA washer
06036171AA nut/washer
33003332 spacer

You will need two of each and change the nut torque value to 180in lb on just those two studs.

So helpful, thanks. I'm going to add this to the SE thread.

Reactions: Blackjack