Fixing three big mistakes....or otherwise known as LJ build number 2.

TimboSlice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have. There are a few issues with their setup. First of all, it won't control the 545rfe transmission. The Terminator is basically designed for older muscle cars or setups using a manual or a non-computer controlled automatic. Secondly, it won't run the stock gauges which I'd like. Third, it costs as much as having Hotwire Auto build a brand new harness that can use the factory ECU and still run the Jeep gauge cluster.

The terminator X does control the 545 rfe transmission i thought. In combo with the Drive by wire setup.

TimboSlice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Screenshot (71).png

TimboSlice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yes. Or do a digital dash. The kit comes with small module touchscreen. Below is the larger version

Screenshot (72).png

TimboSlice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just wanted to circle back and clear up some of my errors and eat a bit of crow. I have spent alot of time researching, making calls, and reading alot of info on this engine and trans swap the last few days. I have all my stuff to do my hemi swap and been waiting on a garage addition I have not finished to get started. The only thing I have been dragging my feet on is the wiring conversion ect. Holley kits can not operate the 545rfe. I even spoke to a holley rep and explained how they should clarify that better, the instructions for their gen 3 hemi X max kits even refer to the trans controller plugin even though this only implies to the GM setup. I really thought they could make the 545rfe work using the advanced version of the x max kit, and my error could of been costly to me or anyone looking for info. Maybe they can work in the holley set up with some sort of stand alone controller, have fun finding one. I always had hotwire in the back of my mind and I spoke to Chris today. They are still the "go to" for the TJ hemi swap with the 545rfe. I am glad I learned something and finally found my path going forward with this conversion.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I just wanted to circle back and clear up some of my errors and eat a bit of crow. I have spent alot of time researching, making calls, and reading alot of info on this engine and trans swap the last few days. I have all my stuff to do my hemi swap and been waiting on a garage addition I have not finished to get started. The only thing I have been dragging my feet on is the wiring conversion ect. Holley kits can not operate the 545rfe. I even spoke to a holley rep and explained how they should clarify that better, the instructions for their gen 3 hemi X max kits even refer to the trans controller plugin even though this only implies to the GM setup. I really thought they could make the 545rfe work using the advanced version of the x max kit, and my error could of been costly to me or anyone looking for info. Maybe they can work in the holley set up with some sort of stand alone controller, have fun finding one. I always had hotwire in the back of my mind and I spoke to Chris today. They are still the "go to" for the TJ hemi swap with the 545rfe. I am glad I learned something and finally found my path going forward with this conversion.
Chris is a good guy, and will take good care of you. He helped me through a couple of issues on mine.

Reactions: Wildman
OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
I know it has been awhile since I've posted. A lot of stuff going on right now but here is a short update. I finally got in touch with Gerald at Savvy and my mid-arm kit is hopefully a few weeks away. They are waiting on parts from Currie apparently. In the meantime, I got my rear axle put together with the backing plates flipped and I have the big brake kit along with the parking brake reversing adapters on the way from Black Magic Brakes. 35 spline axles with an ARB. TJ width with a JK center. When I bought the housing, I hadn't decided or wasn't aware that I could have ordered the housing without the brackets that I have to take off for the mid-arm. Lesson learned. The ARB in this case is a bit of a pain because it comes drilled with 3/8" holes and the fine print notes mention that the holes may need to be drilled out in some cases depending on the ring gear (caught that note much later). Of course, 1/2" on mine. The transfer case skid from UCF is here as well.

On the engine front.....I made a change with the mounts. I just wasn't a huge fan of the Holley mounts after messing with them for awhile. I went back to the Advanced Adapter mounts. I had used them previously with an LS swap on a previous project and I think it is a better design. I have found a local shop to build the engine which I decided to pretty much leave stock. I was considering a big displacement build, but honestly, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I just don't need more than 345 HP and 375 lb ft.

I'd like to have a rolling chassis with the engine and transmission on it by the end of summer.

OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
Got all the brackets removed and ready for the mid-arm and Hemi mounts. I’ll start on the Hemi brackets since I’m still waiting on Savvy.

Also, I got my 17” big brake kit and parking brake adapters from BMB. Looks awesome. Plus, free stickers.

055BD7AA-054F-4E84-8656-E052225D77CB.jpeg

OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
Got a good deal on some Bronco Sasquatch Takeoffs. 315/70r17s, Load C. They are the new Goodyear Territory M/T. They aren't a true mud terrain. Goodyear calls them "maximum terrain". Looks like an aggressive all terrain. I'm going to put them on JK Moabs to keep the OEM look as much as possible. Hopefully the sale of the wheels will just about pay for the tires. I had to buy 9 Moab wheels locally to get 5-6 good ones.

IMG_2368.jpeg

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2363.jpeg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
Well I finally got the mid-arm kit and a bunch of other parts. I now have the mid-arm kit, the ORO SwayLoc, JK Moabs with the Bronco tires, the big brake kit from Black Magic Brakes, the front and rear axles, the Hemi mounts from Advanced Adapters, the UCF aluminum skid and a few other odds and ends.

I was able to get the frame side brackets tacked on along with the raised body mount brackets. Both rear brackets and both front brackets had to be clearanced. The rear and the front passenger side had to be clearanced due to the mid-arm brackets. The front driver side had to be clearanced for the factory reinforcement bracket on the frame.

I also got the Hemi mocked up and the brackets tacked on. I have a mobile welder that I've used before coming over tomorrow to finish the welding. After that, I can start to work on the axle side brackets which will require a bit of modifications due to the Currie housings.

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Well I finally got the mid-arm kit and a bunch of other parts. I now have the mid-arm kit, the ORO SwayLoc, JK Moabs with the Bronco tires, the big brake kit from Black Magic Brakes, the front and rear axles, the Hemi mounts from Advanced Adapters, the UCF aluminum skid and a few other odds and ends.

I was able to get the frame side brackets tacked on along with the raised body mount brackets. Both rear brackets and both front brackets had to be clearanced. The rear and the front passenger side had to be clearanced due to the mid-arm brackets. The front driver side had to be clearanced for the factory reinforcement bracket on the frame.

I also got the Hemi mocked up and the brackets tacked on. I have a mobile welder that I've used before coming over tomorrow to finish the welding. After that, I can start to work on the axle side brackets which will require a bit of modifications due to the Currie housings.

View attachment 343798

View attachment 343799

View attachment 343800

View attachment 343801

View attachment 343802

View attachment 343803

View attachment 343804

I'm sad we did not have a conversation before you placed the order. If the unit bearings are from us, they shouldn't be. But, you ordered a brake kit that will lock up 40's pretty easily and you will struggle to keep them broken in unless you are an exceptionally aggressive driver on those 35's.

OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
I'm sad we did not have a conversation before you placed the order. If the unit bearings are from us, they shouldn't be. But, you ordered a brake kit that will lock up 40's pretty easily and you will struggle to keep them broken in unless you are an exceptionally aggressive driver on those 35's.

Sending you a PM.

Reactions: mrblaine
OP
UND_Sioux

UND_Sioux

Supporting Member
Over the last few weeks, I got the frame primed and painted and axle trusses completed. I had to make a few "adjustments" to the trusses to account for the Currie axle housings that have 3" tubes and larger center section. The back was super easy where all I had to do was open up the holes to a 3" diameter. The front was a little more challenging. The spring perches on the Currie housings are shaped differently so there ends up being less gap between the spring perch and the edge of the center section. It required some modification of the truss to fit. On the driver side, it required some minor adjustments as well. The Currie housing center section is a good bit wider.

Mr. Blaine corrected my mis-order on the brake kit so I should be good to go now. I am hoping to have a rolling chassis as early as this weekend.

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

Last edited: