Arizona Flagstaff trip

dudehitt

TJ Enthusiast
Anybody know of a good place to get a little offroad near Flagstaff? I have a stock TJ 2.5 so I'm not looking for anything nasty.

Schnebly Hill Road near Munds Park. I've not been on it myself but hear it's mild and the views are supposed to be worth the drive. It's on the list for me to hit, hopefully this spring.

Also in the same area, take the Munds Park exit off I17 and go east. Less than 1 mile from the exit, the road will dump you into the fire road system. These are all forest roads that wind through the forest. I've hunted in through there a number of times and these roads are mild (depending on whether they're rutted will be the greatest challenge - not a lot of climb/descent) and will take you to Lake Mary and the back way into Flagstaff. More of a scenic than wheeling road.

Finally, go through Flagstaff and continue north toward the Grand Canyon on Hwy 89. A few miles outside of Flagstaff (5-10 minutes after you clear the last of the businesses on the edge of town), once the 89 bends from east to north, take any of the fire roads to the west of the highway. These will take you into the San Francisco peaks area. Again, all fire roads, some will have some climbing but certainly not hard core and another very scenic area.

Just passed Flagstaff, I ride quads at the Cinders. I am not sure if you can Jeep there or not. Some of the trails are tight but there are also a lot of hill climbs and open spaces. It is not very far passed Flagstaff, so if you are in the area might be fun to check out.

Sedona is about an hour away from Flagstaff, in fact if you take Schnebly Hill road that DaveC mentioned, it dumps you into Sedona. From Sedona, there are many fantastic and beautiful trails to run. There is nothing crazy difficult here, but everything is pretty

Reactions: ac_
Thank you. Completely forgot i posted this here.

I've seen videos of jeeps at cinders ohv area so it seems legal.

I'm sure I'll be going back up there. I was thinking Schulz pass to Lockett Meadow next trip. Seems mild but dirt. My daughter said she's wanted to go there for a while.

Last weekend we didn't have a lot of time to just explore but Munds park, peaks, and Sedona all sound good. I'll see if we can get our schedules aligned for random exploring more this summer.

When I was living in PHX I took the trail up to Crown King when my ride was a stocker. It's straight forward with only one spot where I need to pile a few rocks to get over without bottoming out. The entrance is on 74 just past mile marker 19 turn right on to Castle Hot Springs Rd and head north. At ~30 miles up its a day run, we picked up 17 for the ride back. Once you get on CHS rd you have a couple of options to get to Crown King.

AZ Offroading has detailed waypoints if you want to go as does Trails Offroad and All Trails.

Reactions: ac_
When I was living in PHX I took the trail up to Crown King when my ride was a stocker. It's straight forward with only one spot where I need to pile a few rocks to get over without bottoming out. The entrance is on 74 just past mile marker 19 turn right on to Castle Hot Springs Rd and head north. At ~30 miles up its a day run, we picked up 17 for the ride back. Once you get on CHS rd you have a couple of options to get to Crown King.

AZ Offroading has detailed waypoints if you want to go as does Trails Offroad and All Trails.

I have done that a few times on sport quads. It is a handful on the quads because they are much lower, so you have to manhandle dips in hills and small rock crawls, but it was fun. I haven't done it in my Jeep yet, but have been contemplating it.

I have went up in my Jeep the wimpy way up from Bumble Bee. It is a fun little town, but sometimes we go up the wimpy way just for lunch, because it is just me and the GF in the Jeep.

I've looked into that. It's on my list

A lot of the forest roads around Flag close over the winter and just opened (Mid April). Most of them may offer some nice drives and scenery but aren't a challenge for any 4 wheel drive vehicle. Head south a bit like others have mentioned and you'll find a number of challenging Jeep trails in the Sedona area. Search Jeep tours for Sedona online and you can find maps of the more popular areas. Some can be pretty challenging. If you don't have a map on hand, when you see a pink jeep, follow it! The pink jeeps are pretty well customized and equipped with lifts, lockers etc.

Hehe, some of the same info I've been looking for. I have a place I'm going to AirBNB in Katchina Village, it looks like theres a few "wife and family" forest roads around there. Stuff for my wife to get used to before I scare her. Well first II need to get a Jeep lol. I'm up that way pretty often.