Flapping soft top

DarkStar357

I replaced my top a few years back. As I am a teacher and we make beans instead of money, I purchased a RedRock 4x4 Replacement Soft Top with Tinted Windows; Black Diamond. It flaps so much on the inside, here is How my top must look. on the outside.

Being that I drive a brick with a tent on top, I already am the slowest thing out there. (My 4.0 has a top highway speed of about 70 mph. 80 mph if I am going downhill.) The flapping of the top makes me bat$hit crazy. It is even worse when it is windy. To combat flapping and increase highway speeds, I have resorted to using ratchet straps around the roll bars up near the windshield to hold the top down. I also have open-cell foam on the speaker bar to hold the top up a little and cut down on the rear half flapping. I'm thinking of sewing some straps to the rear side windows that will pull them in and hold them against the roll bar back there.

Yes, I like to just give in and run with the 1/2 doors off in the summer and that eliminates the flapping, but this weekend I have to run some rescue dogs and a cat up north. I can't be wide open with critters inside.

Any other suggestions? (Oh, and I have tightened it down as much as I can.)

You need pics of your frame/hardware. For us to tell if its salvageable. Otherwise id say buy a new top with frame. I woukd encourage you to pick an oem top used with included hardware. Its your cheapest option for starting from scratch. Or if your confident its not your hardware (although it sounds like it is) you can pick up a rampage or other no name brand top for a couple hundred on sale.

I doubt your top is that big. Id wager its someplace in the hardware or how its set up.

You need pics of your frame/hardware. For us to tell if its salvageable. Otherwise id say buy a new top with frame. I woukd encourage you to pick an oem top used with included hardware. Its your cheapest option for starting from scratch. Or if your confident its not your hardware (although it sounds like it is) you can pick up a rampage or other no name brand top for a couple hundred on sale.

I doubt your top is that big. Id wager its someplace in the hardware or how its set up.
Fwiw bestop is "the" brand. Thats why i suggest oem. As bestop made them.

A new aftermarket bestop is $1500 at least.

Reactions: DarkStar357
Last edited:
Reactions: Sancho
I run my AC, vent or heat, outside air, not recirculate. That creates enough positive pressure to cut down on flapping. I also have a factory soft top

Reactions: Sancho
The nice part about the bestop nx tops is the brackets have 3 hole positions. As the top gets loose you can move the rear bow further back 3x to keep it tight. My previous supertop nx was on the second hole after 4 years.

Reactions: TheBoogieman