Flash Flooding in Zion

Nightmare9

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you are heading there you better check to see what (if anything) is open.
Stay safe. Watch the weather if you plan to hike any of the slot canyons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-flash-floods-tore-zion-125426591.html
My Profile photo is from Zion last year on the way home from buying the Jeep.

We drove to the Temple of Sinawava Trail Head (which apparently you can't normally do) since the shuttle bus wasn't running. We hiked to the end of the trail but didn't have the time or equipment to hike up the river/canyon.

IMG_7730.JPG

Last edited:
I was there years ago hiking up in the canyons overhead under dark ominous skies. Would be dangerous place to be in a storm. Luckily no rain on us that day. Did see a nice rattlesnake laying on a trail though.

That part of UT is really dangerous when it rains. Best thing you can do is get to to a high spot & hope you don't get swept away while hoping you aren't high enough to get struck by lightning.

They can also happen after the storm passes through.

Reactions: Apparition
It was a mess today near the visitors station. They were moving 6 inches of mud from the parking lots. They closed 4 trail stops. But we hiked the narrows with no problems. Parking wasn't bad because I think it scared people off. We parked within a half mile of the entrance at 9:30 am. No lines for shuttles either.

Reactions: GTERDN
If you are heading there you better check to see what (if anything) is open.
Stay safe. Watch the weather if you plan to hike any of the slot canyons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-flash-floods-tore-zion-125426591.html
My Profile photo is from Zion last year on the way home from buying the Jeep.

We drove to the Temple of Sinawava Trail Head (which apparently you can't normally do) since the shuttle bus wasn't running. We hiked to the end of the trail but didn't have the time or equipment to hike up the river/canyon.

View attachment 262644
You know I would have never put that paint combo together like you did on your jeep. But for some reason I like it, not sure why but I do. (y)

Reactions: Squatch