Flat fender options

Rooster

TJ Enthusiast
I didn't really find what I wanted in the archives so I'll ask here- what are your favorite flat fender options on a 1997 TJ? Not fender flares, true flat fenders.

For me, it's a throwback to the jeep's origins but, practically speaking, it's for more tire clearance and approaching obstacles.

You won't get more clearance unless the back wall of the wheel opening is moved backwards. After that, the hood needs to be cut and the entire fender moved up.

What guys are saying above is most flat fenders don’t actually give you more clearance than normal fenders based on where your tire hits sheet metal. Flat fenders will give you the allusion of more clearance with an open wheel well but if you flex your tire into them, the result is the same as stock....

You won't get more clearance unless the back wall of the wheel opening is moved backwards. After that, the hood needs to be cut and the entire fender moved up.
Having had both I would disagree because there are parts of the OEM fender particularly the lip that the flare mounts on that you will hit long before you would on a flat fender

Having had both I would disagree because there are parts of the OEM fender particularly the lip that the flare mounts on that you will hit long before you would on a flat fender

Where exactly and what size tire? And how does a flat fender that isn't a highline and doesn't move the rear wall backwards change the points of interference? Is there a flat non-highline fender that has the same tire cut out in the lip that stock has?

Where exactly and what size tire? And how does a flat fender that isn't a highline and doesn't move the rear wall backwards change the points of interference? Is there a flat non-highline fender that has the same tire cut out in the lip that stock has?
35 inch tires you will contact the lip directly above the center of the tire

Reactions: Cornbread
And how does a non highline flat fender change that?
On mine there’s nothing there to contact.
918A2A0C-6649-4B6E-8FAD-688832CD9225.jpeg

Those are MCE flares. Not quite your typical flat fender. Though your tires still contact the rear wall at full flex full lock unless the bump stop extension prevents that.
Describe the position and what I’m doing that will get me into the rear of my fenders besides trying to flip my jeep over

Describe the position and what I’m doing that will get me into the rear of my fenders besides trying to flip my jeep over

Something like this. If mine has 35s and the same bump stops after raising the shocks, the driver's side would be mashed hard into the rear wall.

IMG-5019.jpg

Wheels turned from the opposite side, but this shows the tire is very well stuffed.
688AC200-50EA-4370-B11C-062E17E7059A.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are MCE flares. Not quite your typical flat fender. Though your tires still contact the rear wall at full flex full lock unless the bump stop extension prevents that.
MCE Flat Fenders not flares. What is it you are doing while sitting behind the wheel (steering wheel) that you are at full bump and full lock? If it did rub how hard would it rub? How long would you be in this position before the dynamics would change?