Flat towing question

Ducati2

Supporting Member
I wish to flat tow my 05 TJ , but I have front lockers and a positrack rear end. I am new to jeeps and wondering if this would be an issue when towing around curves and corners? Any advice appreciated!

I setup the Turtle to flat tow behind my RV.

Turtle, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ Rubicon 6sp

RECREATIONAL TOWING

NOTE: The transfer case must be shifted into N (Neutral) for recreational to prevent damage to internal parts.

1. Depress brake pedal.

2. de- press clutch pedal on manual transmission

3. Shift transfer case lever into N (Neutral).

4. Start engine.

5. Shift manual transmission into gear.

6. Release brake pedal and clutch ensure that there is no vehicle movement.

7. Shut engine off, leave in 3rd gear required to maintain trans lubrication, steering wheel lock position ignition to prevent release parking brake.

IMG_0507.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryTJ
The ignition should be UNLOCKED, (not ON, to prevent battery drain), to prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging on MTs.

Then release parking brake.

MT can be in any gear, but I'd pick one of the upper gears in case the tcase somehow gets out of N.

Reactions: MOBDOGG
Can you explain that for me? I am definitely not understanding what is written.
Just as JKP TJ Addict wrote see below

“The ignition should be UNLOCKED, (not ON, to prevent battery drain), to prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging on MTs.

MT can be in any gear, but I'd pick one of the upper gears in case the tcase somehow gets out of N.”

The posi rear end isn't an issue.

A selectable front locker wouldn't be either. Need to fill in your profile details.

Just bought the jeep and was told it had front lockers, but how do I know they are ‘selectable’?

I wish to flat tow my 05 TJ , but I have front lockers and a positrack rear end. I am new to jeeps and wondering if this would be an issue when towing around curves and corners? Any advice appreciated!

Automatic transmission

Selectable lockers will have a switch to turn them on and off.

AT should be in P. I don't think the ATs have the steering wheel lock, but maybe others can confirm.

Just as JKP TJ Addict wrote see below

“The ignition should be UNLOCKED, (not ON, to prevent battery drain), to prevent the steering wheel lock from engaging on MTs.

MT can be in any gear, but I'd pick one of the upper gears in case the tcase somehow gets out of N.”

Seems I could unlock steering wheel by turning key to first or second click w battery disconnected. I have a battery quick disconnect installed. I want the steering wheel to be able to turn, right?

Seems I could unlock steering wheel by turning key to first or second click w battery disconnected. I have a battery quick disconnect installed. I want the steering wheel to be able to turn, right?

Yes, key in the unlocked position so the steering wheel will turn and front wheels steer, but not in the accessory position so you don't drain the battery.

And next flat tow question is… do you have your TJ brakes linked somehow to the pull vehicle brakes or just tow it without? Again, I’m totally new to this and need to tow it about 600 miles.

Last edited:
Supplemental braking for a vehicle the weight of a TJ is required in all but two U.S. states and in every province in Canada.

I use a RVi 3 braking system. Other popular brands in no particular order are Demco, Roadmaster, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, and Ready Brake.

This was my shopping list for my flat tow system:
Sourced from e-trailer.com:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop
11-1/4" Long – 10,000# GTW 400# TW P/N RM-048-10

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar
Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs. P/N RM-522

Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars
3/4" Thick P/N RM-035

7-Wire to 6-Wire Coiled-to-Straight Cord for Roadmaster Tow Bars
8' Long P/N RM-1676-7

CE Smith Tie-Down Bracket for Boat Trailers
Galvanized Steel - Bolt On, 2 ea., P/N CE26214G
[Used for safety chain attachment points on jeep]

Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover P/N RM-055-3
[Unnecessary, but it allows me to keep the tow bar on the motorhome out of the weather

Sourced on Amazon.com:

Roadmaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables
8,000 lbs P/N RM-645-76 [Also available from etrailer.com.]

Sourced on E-Bay:

Previously owned RVi3 Supplemental Brake System with Command Center and 6-tire Tire Patrol.

Sourced locally:

Magnetic Trailer Lights [already on hand in my trailer tow kit]
Hitch pins and clips
Miscellaneous hardware

See this thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/flat-towing-braking-systems-your-recommendations-and-why.41511/

Texas allows you to tow 4500lb without brakes. Curb weight of an LJ is 3700, GVW is 4600. I guess it is a roll of the dice - I would not be towing more than 4500, but hard to tell what the officer would think.