Florida... going kicking and screaming but

Jerry Bransford

Staff
Staff Member
Supporting Member
The view from the back deck of my son's in-law's house in jacksonville isn't bad at all.

20201025_182904.jpg

That eastern diamondback is the most dangerous snake in the US...not the most poisonous but the most dangerous...very aggressive snake. I terminated one here that was 5 1/2 feet long that killed one of my dogs. Not the snake's fault but it happened.

I’ve come across rattle snakes here a few times. Both times they warned me and I stayed away. I don’t consider them aggressive since they warn and don’t come after you.

I’m worried about that moving to AR...

The view from the back deck of my son's in-law's house in jacksonville isn't bad at all.

View attachment 198634
Jerry you need to move to the FL. Panhandle, you will still be about the same distance from the mountains, but the emerald coast beaches are beautiful!!!!!

I’ve never had a rattlesnake be overly aggressive with me, but copperheads and cotton mouths are a different story.
When stationed at Vandenberg AFB on the central California coast I saw and ran into many rattlesnakes on a near daily basis during the warm months. They'd be warming up on concrete porch of my remote transmitter and receiver sites when we'd drive up. Then they'd crawl into the antenna cable troughs under the floor to eat the mice that had built nests there. We'd open the troughs to clean the mice out and occasionally find a rattler too. Ended up putting one into a big aquarium, feeding it mice we'd catch for it. The base commander (a brigadier general) heard about it and arranged for an "inspection" visit to our site but he laughed and finally admitted he was more interested in the snake and watching us feed him a mouse. 🤣

When stationed at Vandenberg AFB on the central California coast I saw and ran into many rattlesnakes on a near daily basis during the warm months. They'd be warming up on concrete porch of my remote transmitter and receiver sites when we'd drive up. Then they'd crawl into the antenna cable troughs under the floor to eat the mice that had built nests there. We'd open the troughs to clean the mice out and occasionally find a rattler too. Ended up putting one into a big aquarium, feeding it mice we'd catch for it. The base commander (a brigadier general) heard about it and arranged for an "inspection" visit to our site but he laughed and finally admitted he was more interested in the snake and watching us feed him a mouse. 🤣
I used to fly over Vandenberg on the regular on the way to work. I have family in Escondido and grew up in North County SD. Born on Camp Pendleton and lived in a handful of surrounding cities. Escondido was a very different place 30+ years ago then it is today.

Never heard of a poisonous snake, though.