Fluid Film Black vs Fluid Film

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Any benefit or drawback to black over original?

Seems to be a large price difference for the convenience of the more appealing black color..

I bought black only for the tint. I don't remember there being as much of a price difference when I did.

Any benefit or drawback to black over original?
If you don't buy black, you'll be labeled a racist. 😬
p.s. I hate that greasy FF. I washed mine off because I couldn't work on my Jeep after applying it. It was like getting bacon grease all over my clothes, without the joy of actually eating the bacon. 🥳
p.p.s. My wife said it stinks too! I can't smell so I wouldn't know these things.

p.s. I hate that greasy FF. I washed mine off because I couldn't work on my Jeep after applying it. It was like getting bacon grease all over my clothes, without the joy of actually eating the bacon. 🥳
p.p.s. My wife said it stinks too! I can't smell so I wouldn't know these things.

I'm planning to keep it to inside the rails. I had a shop do it last year along with POR 15 just about everything on the underside. The outside of the rails still look good (outstanding for a NE Jeep) so nothing to be done there this year. But you know how it is.. it's what you can't see that will kill you, so I am doing inside again this years. I take the month of Sept to flush them repeatedly. Already have the drain holes but might add them behind the transfer case skid as you had suggested. Then hit it with the FF. Only reason to go for the black is I expect it is inevitable that it will run out of the holes someplace along the rail and I'd runs be black.

It smells like urine..

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'm planning to keep it to inside the rails.

I'd suggest an actual paint like Eastwood's internal frame coating before fluid film. FF is a short term product, and once you spray the FF in there, you pretty much can't paint it. If painted first, you can always add FF over the paint every year.

Reactions: Woodrow
I'd suggest an actual paint like Eastwood's internal frame coating before fluid film. FF is a short term product, and once you spray the FF in there, you pretty much can't paint it. If painted first, you can always add FF over the paint every year.
Paint what? Inside the rails?

I’ve already done the outside with POR15. The inside was done with FF last year. I want to redo the inside. Basically plan to do the inside every November.
Difference is the color of FF drip stains on your garage floor :)
LOL.. yes, that’s one of the reasons I want to do black. But I think I am going to tape all the holes, apply the FF and allow it to set (it never actually dries). Then give it a day or three before I remove the tape

I just redid my driveway so I am sensitive to staining the pavers.

That is exactly what I do with mine. (y)

Reactions: BlueC

My last jeep had bad rust. I took an old hose, melted the end closed then drilled holes through the sides so liquid shot out like a sprinkler head. Filled hose with POR15 then took an air compressor and sprayed it inside my rails. Was way more effective then I expected it to be. Lay down cardboard, it was messy but worked

I’ve already done the outside with POR15. The inside was done with FF last year. I want to redo the inside. Basically plan to do the inside every November.

Yes. The paint would last for years, but since you have already done the FF that's no longer a viable option. Continue on with the FF.

Reactions: MikekiM

Didn’t think applying the Eastwood coating over an existing, albeit year old, application of FF. I doubt any paint type product would adhere to the FF coating in the frame. This is why I thought to go straight to another coating of FF.

Yes. The paint would last for years, but since you have already done the FF that's no longer a viable option. Continue on with the FF.

That was my thought as well

What many of the "paint don't FF" crowd don't understand is that when you live in the Northeast and you use your Jeep as a daily driver, that paint don't last worth shit. You will never get every crack, crevice, nook or cranny with paint inside that frame. In the NE, that salt and slop is there almost non-stop from December to the end of March. It's relentless. You could wash your Jeep frame out everyday and at the end of the season, the orange/red "seasoned" stuff is back in all those small areas even if you took time to use Eastwoods stuff. Some days you can't even wash it well as it's too cold and it will just freeze. Not to mention that most car washes re-use the water and it's full of salt as well.

My Jeep stays in the garage from November to April. My kid's Jeeps, however, are daily driven. FF once in November and they're fine. My son's '03 Jeep has been daily driven from 2013 until now. It gets FF every year and his frame, torque boxes, and tub is just as it was when he bought it; rust free. My daughter's Jeep is driven every day as she commutes near Boston to Gloucester, MA near the ocean. She certainly gets salt everywhere and is not great at getting it washed. So when she comes home, I go through it and check it over. After nearly 4 years of this commuting, there is not any further corrosion than when we first got it.

While I would like to not have to use the FF on these vehicles, in the northeast, it's unavoidable.

BTW, neither of those Jeeps drips on the driveway or in the garage. If using the proper air gun to apply, I have not had any issues.

What many of the "paint don't FF" crowd don't understand is that when you live in the Northeast and you use your Jeep as a daily driver, that paint don't last worth shit. You will never get every crack, crevice, nook or cranny with paint inside that frame.

Maybe, but I think you're glossing over the simple fact that the Eastwood product is a thin, easy flowing rust converting paint that seals the surface, is more or less permeant, and does not need to be redone at a set interval. There's a reason the factories paint chassis vs coating in something like Fluid Film. FF is a short term "aid" type product best applied over a permeant coating vs raw and/or rusty metal.

I know how you feel. I love the stuff for inside the frame rails and those nooks and crannies inside the tub (I think it's the best product for those areas since it creeps and you can't see what's going on in there), but regret using it everywhere else since it gets all over me when I work on our Jeeps. And it holds on to so much dirt and grime from the road that gets all over me. Power washing that stuff off is no easy task, and then you're removing the Fluid Film too. I've been wanting to switch to something else for outside areas but I have so much FF left that I'll be stuck with it for a while.

Maybe, but I think you're glossing over the simple fact that the Eastwood product is a thin, easy flowing rust converting paint that seals the surface, is more or less permeant, and does not need to be redone at a set interval. There's a reason the factories paint chassis vs coating in something like Fluid Film. FF is a short term "aid" type product best applied over a permeant coating vs raw and/or rusty metal.

I know how Eastwood products work. I use them on my Jeep. It's not permanent. Nothing is permanent. Factories don't paint, they immerse or dip the whole frame in a vat of coating. It can then get into every area of the internal frame. I've used the Eastwood stuff on my brand new frame when I swapped out frames. I looked afterwards with a scope and noticed that it didn't get in to all the areas. So, I did it again. After a couple of years, I noticed that some areas wore away from washing it with a pressure washer when I was getting rid of the crap that was in there after wheeling. It's not permanent. For me, it's just easier to put it on the lift, inspect it and spray it every year. In the spring, it gets a good pressure wash.

He's right though. The factory paint doesn't last one winter, nor does an aftermarket paint product. Is it better than doing nothing? Heck yeah. And if you keep on top of it then it will work great. But it isn't some spray it and forget it solution that people think it is. You would have to reapply it every year or two to prevent rust. The stuff they use on the roads here is just that awful. We have brand new vehicles for sale with rust on the frames because of test drives in the winter. Buying a 2023 in winter of 2022? It will have frame rust already.

Reactions: eastbloc
The stuff they use on the roads here is just that awful. We have brand new vehicles for sale with rust on the frames because of test drives in the winter.

I don't disagree with that. I've seen the damage done by the Northern-salted-tin-worm. Actually, one of the recent tactics of the low-dollar used car lots around here is to get a car from the Northeast that looks ok on the outside at a discount, and sell it to unknowing people at our typical market prices.

Actually, one of the recent tactics of the low-dollar used car lots around here is to get a car from the Northeast that looks ok on the outside at a discount, and sell it to unknowing people at our typical market prices.

I see that a lot here in Va too. A lot of people never look under a vehicle. I feel sorry for them and anger at the car dealers that knowingly do this.

RUSTY Jeep3.jpg

RUSTY Jeep2.jpg

RUSTY Jeep.jpg

Last edited: