Fluid Film Black vs Fluid Film

On topic- I don't think that the untinted version of FF would leave permanent marks on a driveway. Though, Ive got a concrete slab driveway. So maybe the chassis colored version would leave markings if it dripped? But Ive gotten the original stuff on my driveway and it never stained. My garage is coated in grey floor paint, so almost anything that doesn't dry simply wipes off.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
On topic- I don't think that the untinted version of FF would leave permanent marks on a driveway. Though, Ive got a concrete slab driveway. So maybe the chassis colored version would leave markings if it dripped? But Ive gotten the original stuff on my driveway and it never stained. My garage is coated in grey floor paint, so almost anything that doesn't dry simply wipes off.
FF is a lanolin based product. It repels water. While it might not leave a colored stain, if it drips on driveway pavers, asphalt or concrete the those spots will repel water. No different than how dripping oil will repel water. I have a huge paved driveway and paid a bloody fortune for it. I’d rather not have the brick pavers spattered with some bricks that repel the water and others that don’t. I’d have to answer to a higher power.. a conflict I’d like to avoid.

FF is a lanolin based product. It repels water. While it might not leave a colored stain, if it drips on driveway pavers, asphalt or concrete the those spots will repel water. No different than how dripping oil will repel water. I have a huge paved driveway and paid a bloody fortune for it. I’d rather not have the brick pavers spattered with some bricks that repel the water and others that don’t. I’d have to answer to a higher power.. a conflict I’d like to avoid.

Easy fix, spray the whole driveway

This is why I switched to Wool Wax over FF. It's a much thicker product and doesn't drip all over the garage floor/driveway.
I remember the first time I used FF and my garage got hot, the FF dripped right below one of my brake lines and I thought I had a leak. FF just can't handle the heat as well as WW.

Couldn't have said it better. Living in the NE I follow your exact routine. And agree that no internal paint can stand up to the salt and snow we get here. I remember counting how many times a month my city sprayed their corrosive chemicals on the road. Literally almost weekly where I live. Every TJ within 200 miles of me that is daily driven in the winter is shot! Holes and bubbles everywhere from body to frame. The only guy I know nearby that kept his clean has his lathered with bearing grease and motor oil and that too (as disgusting as it is) truly preserved his 03'.

As a former user of Eastwood, I don't stand by their claims.

EDIT: @Mobusaki - Good call. That CRC marine is tough as nails and truly adheres like a solidified flexible wax. I applied that to my end links and they're spotless and rust-free for over 5 years.

That's good to hear! I'll have to start using it on those low-lying areas. I think CRC in "splash zones" + Fluid Film everywhere else would be a great combo.

Reactions: fourpointzero
This is why I switched to Wool Wax over FF. It's a much thicker product and doesn't drip all over the garage floor/driveway.
I remember the first time I used FF and my garage got hot, the FF dripped right below one of my brake lines and I thought I had a leak. FF just can't handle the heat as well as WW.

I see the benefit of a no-drip product, but feedback I get on Wool Wax is that it doesn't migrate into tight areas that might have been missed by direct spray. Advantage FF for flowing into these areas much the same way water would.

I see the benefit of a no-drip product, but feedback I get on Wool Wax is that it doesn't migrate into tight areas that might have been missed by direct spray. Advantage FF for flowing into these areas much the same way water would.

I haven't really had an issue with that. The fluid film runs out so I never know how much is actually left in there anyway. I warm up the WW before applying which helps alot with migration.

I haven't really had an issue with that. The fluid film runs out so I never know how much is actually left in there anyway. I warm up the WW before applying which helps alot with migration.

I've not had this problem with Fluid Film at all. I've always thought it was thick and goopy. But I haven't used Wool Wax to compare. I think they are both basically just lanolin oil so both should work great.

It can be a bit annoying if you wait till the Fall to apply it. I have to either do it on a very hot day or heat it up on the stove first, it's so thick. But it still creeps. If I apply a bit in one spot in a week you can see where it has migrated all around.

I seem to recall there being a difference in viscocity depending on which specific Fluid film product you buy... but don't quote me on that.

This is also why it's good to apply this stuff in the heat of summer instead of waiting right before snow falls. Much easier to spray but it also creeps best in the heat, so it will migrate to places you missed better and faster.

This is also why it's good to apply this stuff in the heat of summer instead of waiting right before snow falls. Much easier to spray but it also creeps best in the heat, so it will migrate to places you missed better and faster.

That's correct.
Last year I waited til late fall so I filled the bottles that came with my air sprayer and had to put them in a pot of boiling water on the stove to "liquify" the wool wax in order to spray it. The WW also holds up better to pressure washing than FF does. Either product is better than nothing if you live in the salt belt like us!