TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Fluid Film vs Eastwood

At this point in the game I do not have access to any special tools; I will need to use something that does not require anything, lol.

And where exactly would I drill the drain holes in the frame? Is this something that would be good to do with a recently purchased 2002 or is it too little, too late?

OP
Serbonze

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
At this point in the game I do not have access to any special tools; I will need to use something that does not require anything, lol.
No special tools needed for either. I just used the optional extension for the fluid film.

Fluid Film Spray can Extension Wand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLUGXFI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And where exactly would I drill the drain holes in the frame? Is this something that would be good to do with a recently purchased 2002 or is it too little, too late?
I drilled mine right in from of the rear lower control arm mount. I think too little too late depends on the current condition of the frame. If it's a rusty pile of crap, I wouldn't suggest drilling holes in already jacked up metal. =) :)

Reactions: darkangel07760
No special tools needed for either. I just used the optional extension for the fluid film.

Fluid Film Spray can Extension Wand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLUGXFI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I drilled mine right in from of the rear lower control arm mount. I think too little too late depends on the current condition of the frame. If it's a rusty pile of crap, I wouldn't suggest drilling holes in already jacked up metal. =) :)
Excellent, thank you. As far as I can tell, the rust is not bad at all. I just want to do what I can before it gets any colder here in NJ.

Reactions: Serbonze

cjaama

TJ Enthusiast
Reviving an old thread as I have a couple of questions.

It seems like Fluid Film is a temporary solution when used externally. Should the same be expected if used internally (inside the frame) and if so, how long would you expect to get out of it? It obviously seems to be much less expensive than Eastwood, which is quite pricey.

I’ve seen others mention using waste oil internally. Can anyone recommend this?

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
I have had my jeep for a year and a half. I sprayed MULTIPLE cans of fluid film in the frame, after cleaning it out real good, and it is still in there and "cloudy" as if I just sprayed it in there. I did the whole underneath as well. If I ever need to get it off, to work on something, I'll just pressure wash it.

OP
Serbonze

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
Reviving an old thread as I have a couple of questions.

It seems like Fluid Film is a temporary solution when used externally. Should the same be expected if used internally (inside the frame) and if so, how long would you expect to get out of it? It obviously seems to be much less expensive than Eastwood, which is quite pricey.

I’ve seen others mention using waste oil internally. Can anyone recommend this?
Based on the date of my previous post in this thread, I’ve had the Fluid Film in the frame of my Jeep for two years (I really can’t believe that it’s been that long). I looked in my frame last weekend, and it still looks “wet.

kmq102

TJ Enthusiast
I'm gonna revive this thread for updates and advice. Went to another reputable shop today and they said they would do the FF treatment then "black wax" spray a year later. Shop 1 was pushing Eastwood internal and external coating. Shop 2 does work for guys from Long Island and Nantucket and said that FF has proven to be the best treatment they could find.

From reading this and other threads it seems that FF is my best route. Guess I would have the shop do the first coat then I can touch up annually. That about right?

freedom_in_4low

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Not to hijack the thread revival...but for those that use fluid film, how is it about dust and dirt sticking to it? I kindof imagine a tacky coating on my entire undercarriage the exact color of Colorado dust.

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
Not to hijack the thread revival...but for those that use fluid film, how is it about dust and dirt sticking to it? I kindof imagine a tacky coating on my entire undercarriage the exact color of Colorado dust.
You would be correct!
It does attract dust and dirt but I don't worry about it too much. If you need to work on it, you can pressure wash it off, then reapply. The dust/dirt on mine doesn't "stand out", rather blends in.

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Just use an extension tube on the spray can to get deep into all the torque tube holes and inside frame. It would be extremely tricky to get all that out now and the use Eastwood product. Anywhere the FF remains will prevent the Eastwood from working, and would likley creep underneath. Stick with the FF.
For what it's worth, everywhere I've had the FF on for a while the rust underneath (surface rust, not rot) has dissolved. Or some how dissapeared. Completely gone.
If you need to do some work under your TJ the FF can be a bit annoying, but hit the area with some soap and water and it will come off enough to work on withou you getting it on you. Just be sure to reapply. A bit of wet grit doesn't bother me at all.