Fluid Film vs LPS 3 vs WD40 vs Nothing

Wow, that's impressive. I've never had any issue with Fluid Film at all, but then again, I don't live in a very rust prone area. I may have to start recommending LPS 3.

However, when you check out some of the real world reviews on Fluid Film on Amazon, it has amazing reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B93ZXGS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Makes me wonder if he got a bad can or something... Sheesh

Reactions: derekmac
Definitely has me questioning everything, since I've seen FF rust prevention abilities first hand. But I will say, my Jeep sits in a garage at night. But winter time, it's out and about playing in the snow and salt w no issues, provided I use FF.

I'm certainly going to buy a can of LPS3 and give it a try. Can't hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
I've never tried cosmoline either-but id like to put it on my test list as well. Here's a CRC version of what I believe is similar to cosmoline, from reading one of the particular reviews.

CRC SP-400 Corrosion Inhibitor, 10 oz Aerosol Can, Dark Amber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1HKKM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm sure that would work fine too. Here's one of the several main versions of cosmoline in an aerosol. There's two main types of cosmoline: RP- 342 and RP- 344 I belive. It complies with us military MIL-C-11796C Class 3 rust preventative.

Cosmoline RP-342 "Heavy" Rust Preventative Spray (Military-Grade) 1-Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRRYF6N/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Edit: And obviously nothing would be worse than anything for rust preventative measures if you live in the salt belt ;)

Last edited:
I would like to see how Ballistol would do in a comparison test. I just started using it a while back, so far I like it. Excellent lubricant, not sure how it is for rust prevention.

B

Now that I've got CRC Heavy Duty, Im going to do a side by side comparison in the elements, outdoors: CRC vs FF
And another with both the same products, outdoors, but covered so that rain can't dilute the concentration.

Will report back....with photos.

Last edited:
I would like to see how Ballistol would do in a comparison test. I just started using it a while back, so far I like it. Excellent lubricant, not sure how it is for rust prevention.
I have been using Ballistol on some of my guns and locks for a couple years now. Originally, I was thinking the same as you, using it for frame protection. I have found that it doesn't do well outdoors over the long run. When exposed to moisture, it seems to break down, and rust takes over. I still love it for a lube for guns, locks and electrical connections, but I won't use it on vehicles any more. I just bought internal frame coat from Eastwood, but haven't applied it yet inside the frame. I sprayed some on the outside, and am watching to see what it does over time. If I don't like it, fluid film or Cosmoline will be next on the list.
B