Fluid Film

Do it. I put Fluid Film on the entire chassis of my TJ, and do about 4 applications a year. In my opinion it's the best rust preventative there is. A lot of us use Fluid Film.

I love Fluid Film, and wish I knew about it earlier in my Jeep's life to help avoid rust.
But it's nearly doubled in price in the past couple years up in Canada, so I've been spraying it in potentially trouble areas vs liberally everywhere - bolts especially.

Interestingly enough, I don't have any rust issues in the engine bay...although that may have to do with a the fan cutting my ATF fluid hose and spraying it liberally everywhere once....

I researched the FF and found several products they offer for a variety of applications. I'm assuming you all use the aerosol? What color is it? What kind of prep do you do? What parts do spray? What's the difference bw this and something like POR?

I researched the FF and found several products they offer for a variety of applications. I'm assuming you all use the aerosol? What color is it? What kind of prep do you do? What parts do spray? What's the difference bw this and something like POR?
Let me shed some light, from what I have seen nearly all fluid film is a light green, it is an aerosol and most people use the 360degree wand, prep can vary depending on the surface, and some people spray just the inside of the frame, so people spray everything. POR15 is for treating rust that exist, FF is strictly for situations rust is not present and to use a preventative. I'm sure @Chris will chime in here.

Reactions: JMT
I've personally used the aerosol. The color is sort of a cream-like hue. But my guess is it's the foaming that's caused by the propellant, thus creating the tint? It eventually 'blends' or disappears onto the surface it's applied to. Correct me if I'm mistaken, fellow FF users.

Prep, in my case, has always been to apply it to clean surfaces. Or items and surfaces that aren't saturated w 'crud', for lack of better word. And I spray anything that's bare metal or has a tendency to rust on Jeeps- cleaned or uncleaned. I've even used it on my battery posts and connectors. They're just as new and clean since the day I installed it earlier this year. Basically, I apply it anywhere. Even my softop zippers.

POR is completely different than Fluid Film. FF never dries. It's not an oil. it's lanolin-based. Sort of reminds me of a lotion.

If you have a little time, do a Google search on POR. There's a ton of info and mixed, but mostly positive, reviews on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive applied it to lightly rusted surfaces and areas and it's literally stopped it from spreading or worsening.

I did not know this! After further research it appears clearly listed in the FAQ of FF: http://www.fluid-film.com/frequently-asked-questions/

"FLUID FILM is not formulated to remove rust. However, if applied over existing rust, it will stop it immediately from spreading further. FLUID FILM will penetrate rust and rust scale to the base metal, loosening and easing in the removal process."

You learn something new every day.

Quick hijack: Bicycles at the ocean rust out within a few months. Would FF be a solution for this? Could I just spray it over the chain, gears, and other non painted surfaces?

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

I used the aerosol with a 360 degree hose attachment to coat the inside of my frame. I've used just a straw attachment to get other areas of the undercarriage.
I thoroughly degreased and cleaned everything so that it was in direct contact with the metal that I was intending to protect.
Fluid Film is an lanolin oil based product and POR-15 is a paint.

POR15 is for treating rust that exist, FF is strictly for situations rust is not present and to use a preventative.
You don't need to have rust present to use POR-15, it is also a great option as a paint for areas that are not exposed to UV light. For example; I painted the entire underside of my frame and top portion of skid plate in that area that is vulnerable to rust, and my ZJ Tie Rod.

But my guess is it's the foaming that's caused by the propellant, thus creating the tint? It eventually 'blends' or disappears onto the surface it's applied to. Correct me if I'm mistaken, fellow FF users.

It's a little yellowish due to it being a lanolin based product, but I agree that it can't really be seen when it's applied to the surface.

Correction to my second post: lanolin is an oil. Though, it's derived from an animal rather than petroleum. [emoji16]

I'm assuming you all use the aerosol? What color is it? What kind of prep do you do? What parts do spray? What's the difference bw this and something like POR?
Note: I use the Canadian version (because I live in Canada). Sometimes formulations for items are different between Cdn/US products. I mention this because someone posted theirs is a green tint.

I use an aerosol.
Light translucent/gold color, similar to cooking oil.
No prep.
I spray nuts/bolt primarily, and anything that "moves" (hinges, etc).

It's nothing like POR IMO.
POR is "permanent".
POR sticks to your hands.
POR turns solid. etc
(I've never used POR, so forgive any inaccuracy)

FF is a liquid that stays a liquid. Think something like spraying oil. It's stays liquid, and can be washed off...but it's probably not all washing off on the 1st try. It's not "sticky", but it "stays"...similar to oil on your hands. So you'll have to re-apply it. I imagine the stuff sprayed inside the frame will stay for much longer than exterior locations.
Won't stick to your hands.
It's not fun when it drips in your eyes, but I imagine not nearly as bad as POR...

Personally, I'd say FF is a more similar to PB Blaster than POR.

Quick hijack: Bicycles at the ocean rust out within a few months. Would FF be a solution for this? Could I just spray it over the chain, gears, and other non painted surfaces?
I'd spray it on bikes. I haven't had a problem with spraying on painted surfaces either. I spray my Jeep door hinges.
Just know that if you spray it on parts of the bike your clothes or you touch, you may rub it into your clothes...

Great responses. Thanks for the insights!

Also, it sounds like FF would attract dust. Is that true?

JMT, it can and does attract some fine debris. But I consider that protective coating. And it really does not look awful like everyone expects. When I have a moment this weekend, I'll take a photo of my frame and post it.

Reactions: LeePTI and JMT
Here's a few photos. A little dark, because they're taken in my garage. I'll shoot more tomorrow, when the Jeep is outdoors. You can still see the green hue of the Eastwood internal paint from 2 years ago. Since ive been coating the frame w FF (2 seasons) Ive yet to actually wipe it 'clean.' What you see is residual debris from this winter. And the specs of brown are obviously dried mud. If you keep your metal moist w FF, you're protected. I also rinse (undercarriage wash) my Jeep after every snowfall.

15560d4e3c935c0af33731f8a2967f13.jpg

d45aadb2b442d8ac40315cc263007638.jpg

f91e350ee2e73c91c9ca6f07d854af1e.jpg

69f1cc58d37519337e0ef94fa55f78d1.jpg

4b9a6396e38d9607c2debe07b9f7875b.jpg

Reactions: CybrSlydr and JMT
I started using it as recommended here also.
Once I got the inside of my frame as clean as possible, I think I used two cans on each side and installed the frame hole plugs.
Two cans seems excessive, but I shouldn't have to do it again for a long time. I also did the entire underneath of my jeep and now I'm starting on my rust prone Toyota tundra frame. I'm kind of tired of buying aerosol cans at lowes for $10 a pop, so I think I may invest in a gallon and a spray gun.

I started using it as recommended here also.
Once I got the inside of my frame as clean as possible, I think I used two cans on each side and installed the frame hole plugs.
Two cans seems excessive, but I shouldn't have to do it again for a long time. I also did the entire underneath of my jeep and now I'm starting on my rust prone Toyota tundra frame. I'm kind of tired of buying aerosol cans at lowes for $10 a pop, so I think I may invest in a gallon and a spray gun.
Frame hole plugs? Sounds like a good mod. Thanks