Flywheel Resurfacing?

Brannon

Seeking Overland Adventures
Supporting Member
My engine is out and heading to the machine shop tomorrow. My mechanic wants to send them my fly wheel to be resurfaced. I felt it and and there was no noticeable ware, scoring, or corrosion. The fly wheel has abou 95,000 miles on it and two clutch replacements.

I thought I read that resurfacing would damage the fly wheel. Was I wrong?

My engine is out and heading to the machine shop tomorrow. My mechanic wants to send them my fly wheel to be resurfaced. I felt it and and there was no noticeable ware, scoring, or corrosion. The fly wheel has abou 95,000 miles on it and two clutch replacements.

The factory flywheel has a slight dome shape unlike most that are flat.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Mine doesnt appear to have a dome shape, maybe it was refuraced during a prior clutch replacement. What area(s) require sanding and with what grit? Is hand sanding the preferred method or using an orbital?
Consensus is to not resurface, just sand it.
Sand it it is. What grit of sand paper 80, 120, or a different grit? Just hand sand or use a palm sander (I have a palm and belt sander).

Mine doesnt appear to have a dome shape, maybe it was refuraced during a prior clutch replacement. What area(s) require sanding and with what grit? Is hand sanding the preferred method or using an orbital?

Sand it it is. What grit of sand paper 80, 120, or a different grit? Just hand sand or use a palm sander (I have a palm and belt sander).
I use an orbital with 80 or120 grit. You can also sand it by hand. Don't use a belt sander.
My 2001 tj had pretty bad chatter when releasing the clutch. The PO told me he had the clutch recently replaced and the flywheel professionally resurfaced.
When I pulled everything down to inspect, I found he took a belt sander to the flywheel. It had high and low spots all over it.
You don't need to go ape shit on the flywheel, just scuff it up.

Probably would not notice it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Unless it’s got visible cracks or is a very dark blue or you experienced clutch chatter with the previous clutch I would just sand it with an orbital sander or a scotch Brite. Grit doesn’t really matter that much as long as you get the shine off it..

Mine was flat. Had to resurface so as to not void CenterForce warranty.
If yours has the convexed surface I would just hit it with some sandpaper and call it good.

IF you determine the flywheel needs replacing; Amazon sells a LUK replacement (as posted above) for $67..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K0XO64/?tag=wranglerorg-20