Folding down the windshield—how do I remove the wipers?

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
I'm wanting to fold down my windshield just for fun on a wheeling trip. But it looks like I need to remove the windshield wipers (the entire arm). How do I do that?

Just to be sure - the locking clip thingy doesn't get removed, so don't go full retard on it and break it off. It just slides out 1/8th inch or so and allows the wiper arm assembly to left (or get pried gently if corroded..) off

The wipers sit on a splined shaft - if they've been on forever they might give you a time.

Remove the nut, give the wiper arm area surrounding the splined shaft some little love taps with a small hammer, then put the wiper back onto the windshield & use your hand to press down over & over in the middle of the wiper arm like you're giving CPR to a baby. That'll hopefully loosen it up so the arm pops off.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I've never folded the windshield on my jeeps. It would likely enhance the wheeling experience, but seems like a bad idea, IMHO. I'm assuming my windshields have never been folded down.

Get a band aid ready, make sure no little kids are nearby unless they know all the swear words.

Be prepared to find the bottom part of window frame is rusty if your Jeep is 2003-2006. No matter where you live.

Reactions: Apparition
It’s not really very difficult. Lift up on the wiper pull out on the tab where the arm slides onto the splines. Slide the arm off. I fold mine down several times a year. It’s not a big deal at all.

I fold my windshield down a lot on my TJ as well.

IMG_20180722_175338838_HDR.jpg