Footwell light

This is a dumb and dumber post....I can't get the dome off of the drivers side footwell. It just spins and spins when I turn it. I read on here to turn a 1/4 turn and then pull but that didn't work either. I turned, pulled, turned and pulled with no luck. I need the Footwell Dome Light Removal for Dummies version if anyone has an extra they can spare.

As for the passenger side, I don't see one nor do I see any wiring hidden away from where is was installed. I think I read that '99 Wrangler SE's didn't necessarily have a passenger side footwell light. Anyone on here ever installed one?

IMG_9509.jpg

Reactions: chili_pepper
If I’m remembering correctly the base is removed from the top. Don’t think you pull the cover off the base twists into the cover. I cannot see the base in your picture? Poke around above there and see what’s there.

As for the passenger side, I don't see one nor do I see any wiring hidden away from where is was installed. I think I read that '99 Wrangler SE's didn't necessarily have a passenger side footwell light. Anyone on here ever installed one?

Interesting. I don't know about 99 SEs, but my 97 SE came with a light on both sides, so I'd be surprised if it was removed for some reason in future years.

I added one on my 02. The passenger one was only installed with certain options. I forget which one. The wiring was already there on mine, I just plugged it in.

can't get the dome off of the drivers side footwell. It just spins and spins when I turn it. I read on here to turn a 1/4 turn and then pull but that didn't work either. I turned, pulled, turned and pulled with no luck. I need the Footwell Dome Light Removal for Dummies version if anyone has an extra they can spare.

The dome is removed by popping/prying it off the base, it's not threaded. The base has 6 small internal tabs, the dome has 3 large outer tabs, they just snap together. Rotating before popping may have a slight advantage if you can get three of the internal tabs to line up with the gaps between the tabs on the dome. Apply a little pressure to the dome, you will feel it move off very slightly as you turn it. You might benefit from removing the fixture from the underside of the dash and unplugging the wiring pigtail from the lamp housing so as not to break the base and or rip the wiring if you get too ham-fisted.

IMG_20231009_065915418.jpg

As for how many your specific vehicle should have, I couldn't help much there other than to say my '05 LJ has one in each footwell from the factory.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Yeah mine dont work either
I figured Id look into it eventually

My door switches must be off or disconnected or fuse out
Only time my speaker bar lights come on is when I power off the vehicle

Is this correct?
Glovebox fuse #4 thats a 10 amp??

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! That's the one, and I believe it's the same fuse number and location for early and late TJ's. Apparently there were some changes in the fuse blocks over the series.

Edit: Confirmed below. (y)

Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-1997-2006_diagram.jpg

Last edited:
The dome is removed by popping/prying it off the base, it's not threaded. The base has 6 small internal tabs, the dome has 3 large outer tabs, they just snap together. Rotating before popping may have a slight advantage if you can get three of the internal tabs to line up with the gaps between the tabs on the dome. Apply a little pressure to the dome, you will feel it move off very slightly as you turn it. You might benefit from removing the fixture from the underside of the dash and unplugging the wiring pigtail from the lamp housing so as not to break the base and or rip the wiring if you get too ham-fisted.

View attachment 464203

As for how many your specific vehicle should have, I couldn't help much there other than to say my '05 LJ has one in each footwell from the factory.

Thanks sir, that worked for me.