For all of us with two wheels also

I installed a lithium battery in my 1999 Dyna. The motor has been hotrodded a bit, and the standard AGM batteries would struggle to turn it over at times. I'd been toying with the idea of installing compression releases, but really didn't want to pull the heads and go through getting the machining done. This battery spins it much faster and it fires off immediately.

I've wondered about the lithium battery and if it was worth it. My engine has compression releases but still struggles sometimes.
I have a CVO with HD's big bore kit so it's a 117" engine now with 10:1 compression.

Definitely a motorcycle family here. My grandfather had a Henderson in the 1920’s that I used to love hearing stories about as a kid. Dad still rides a Sportster and a ‘74 Honda CB750 at the age of 75. Our honeymoon was a 3 week ride across the country on only dirt and backroads camping every night. (If anyone is familiar with the Transamerica Trail) I’ve had at last count 17 bikes although I’m down to only 3 at the moment, don’t ride as much since we have a grade school age kid. But he does ride on the back of my BMW and competed in his first motocross race last month. We do a lot of trail riding together as well.

I've wondered about the lithium battery and if it was worth it. My engine has compression releases but still struggles sometimes.
I have a CVO with HD's big bore kit so it's a 117" engine now with 10:1 compression.
I switched to a lithium in my KTM 1190, and it works very well. Also saved quite a few pounds. I was amazed (and skeptical at first) at how much lighter. The thing feels like a toy compared to a conventional - but it works. Noticeably faster cranking.

Reactions: Chris and Wildman
I switched to a lithium in my KTM 1190, and it works very well. Also saved quite a few pounds. I was amazed (and skeptical at first) at how much lighter. The thing feels like a toy compared to a conventional - but it works. Noticeably faster cranking.
So far, I'm impressed with how it spins the motor. Big improvement. My '99 FXD also has a 10:1 big-bore kit, though it's a little one at 95". 🙂 The Andrews cam is a high lift, relatively short duration grind for bigger power gains in lower rpm levels. With the AGM battery, the motor would need to spin a few times before it would fire. Now it's an instant vroom. I'm going to get one for my Road Glide that has a similar engine build.

Weight savings weren't my motivation for the lithium battery. How much is 10 pounds gonna help a 650# Harley? 🙂 Would have been good reason for my dual sport Husky. For a dirt, dual sport, or adventure bike is removing 10 pounds that's mounted high in the frame would be noticeable. It does feel like a toy, almost feels like an empty battery case.

I've had this sticker on all of my bikes for the past 10 years:
no pickles.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Tomcat
Swapped the shit Harley suspension for legends, wanted Ohlins but it’s a pain to find a local shop with time. Anyway, Harley should be shot of the worthless crap they put on their bikes. Legends suspension is the tits…well compared to what was in it.
This is what Harley considers suspension in their forks.
854A3193-4B10-466E-B519-A569D20DFC2C.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Swapped the shit Harley suspension for legends, wanted Ohlins but it’s a pain to find a local shop with time. Anyway, Harley should be shot of the worthless crap they put on their bikes. Legends suspension is the tits…well compared to what was in it.
This is what Harley considers suspension in their forks.
View attachment 291244

I've WANTED to change my frontend out on my Road Glide. I have some 12" Suspension Technologies shocks in the rear of mine so was thinking about getting their cartridge's for my forks. I also know Carol Burks who is a Ohlins dealer and he'd give me crap if I used anything but.

https://business.facebook.com/OhlinsbySmarty/?__xts__[0]=68.aradj6oi...

Reactions: thekidwithquestions