For all of us with two wheels also

I recently completed a Saddlesore 1000 ride w/a friend.
Anaheim, Ca to Winslow, Az and back in under 24 hours.

It was a LONG day in the saddle...
start.JPG

route.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

End.JPG

bugs.JPG

I sure as hell won't do it again.

Many many years ago in my forties, I rented a new Sportster one afternoon from Quaid in SoCal. In the 24 hour rental time , I put on 1,400 + miles.
Never even heard of the Saddlesore thing. I just wanted to ride. With that little peanut tank, it was easy to stop for gas quite often to stand a stretch for a bit. And then ride some more. I got home late in the evening and slept for a few hours, got up and rode some more till I ended up back at the HD dealer to turn it in and get my deposit back. Back then it was $125/day plus gas/food. I didn't keep track of the gas/food cost, cuz it didn't matter to me. Loved to ride.

Edit.
And by new, it had a little over 500 miles on it. I asked the service guy if anymore easy break in time was necessary and he said that, "we break them in as we like to ride them". If you ride at 80 mph, your good to go.

Last edited:
I recently completed a Saddlesore 1000 ride w/a friend.
Anaheim, Ca to Winslow, Az and back in under 24 hours.

It was a LONG day in the saddle...
View attachment 426093

View attachment 426092

View attachment 426090

View attachment 426089

View attachment 426091

View attachment 426088

I sure as hell won't do it again.

Yep - the old MBZ rolled through that very intersection on my way to Florida. Great ride from the sound of it - do it again, but take a couple or three days!

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Yep - the old MBZ rolled through that very intersection on my way to Florida. Great ride from the sound of it - do it again, but take a couple or three days!
The entire state of Arizona is a damned construction zone…
My app kept cutting my music off with a “pothole ahead” warnings.
My next road trip will be Bryce Canyon and Zion over Father’s Day weekend.

Reactions: Cheesy and Zorba
Drove it around the block. Giggled like a little schoolgirl at how much of a tractor it is. Absolutely love it.

My last bike I sold about 6 years ago a 1977 Yamaha xs650 Cafe racer fully built and polished. Regret getting rid of that bike.

I don't have any riding gear anymore. Need to get everything.

Reactions: Wildman
  • Haha
Reactions: R3ID05TJ
Drove it around the block. Giggled like a little schoolgirl at how much of a tractor it is. Absolutely love it.

My last bike I sold about 6 years ago a 1977 Yamaha xs650 Cafe racer fully built and polished. Regret getting rid of that bike.

I don't have any riding gear anymore. Need to get everything.

Enjoy the new bike. Those KLR's are great rides. Been on the military version before but never have ridden a civilian model.

If you can live with last years fashions Motorcyclegear.com is the place to go

Its been bookmarked forever. I window shop it every day. We have a CycleGear in town with wayyy too much to look at in person.

Looks all futuristic compared to my XR650L

I used to be a bigger fan of the XR650L over the years. Almost bought one. But I'm far from 7 feet tall which is the minimum height requirement to ride one.

Enjoy the new bike. Those KLR's are great rides. Been on the military version before but never have ridden a civilian model.

Thanks, been a fan for years. There's a diesel KLA on ebay for $20,000. ;)

Reactions: Wildman
Grabbed from elsewhere. Isle of Man is starting on the 29th.

I know some of us keep up with such things. For those that dont, an entire island, that is its own quasi country, becomes a racetrack. Most years, a few people die. There is nothing like it. It is the most insane motorcycle race in the world. The Isle of Man is beautiful and people come from around the world to challenge the island. 101 years. 265 people did not survive. If pod racing from Star Wars was real....they would be to scared to race the Isle of Man TT.

It starts May 29th.

https://www.autosport.com/roadracing/news/2023-isle-of-man-tt-everything-you-need-to-know/10473053/

"the closer you are to death, the more alive you feel...."

QNjv4Bqsz7kc16aTfX-D9ZxkN7u8goVV86Wo-RjNBO54uDcU_I.jpg

isle-of-man-tt-flying.jpg

-man-tt-supersport-2-race-results-ian-hutchinson-4.jpg

This reminded me of my Mom telling me a story when she was in Hospice Care.
When she was in her early 30's in her native Japan, during the Korean War, my Dad, Scottish/American and in the USMC, (whom she was dating at that time) rode up on a late 40's HD. Her Parents told her (in Japanese), you're not riding on that thing.
The first thing that I thought of was, my Dad owned a Harley... Wow.

He taught me how to ride a bicycle w/o training wheels. And soon after that, it was time for a minibike w/ a 3hp Briggs engine.
After that minibike was a Honda Mini Trail 50, then a Mini Trail 70.
I got my motorcycle permit at 15 1/2 years old and had my class 4 before I had regular car license.

This reminded me of my Mom telling me a story when she was in Hospice Care.
When she was in her early 30's in her native Japan, during the Korean War, my Dad, Scottish/American and in the USMC, (whom she was dating at that time) rode up on a late 40's HD. Her Parents told her (in Japanese), you're not riding on that thing.
The first thing that I thought of was, my Dad owned a Harley... Wow.

He taught me how to ride a bicycle w/o training wheels. And soon after that, it was time for a minibike w/ a 3hp Briggs engine.
After that minibike was a Honda Mini Trail 50, then a Mini Trail 70.
I got my motorcycle permit at 15 1/2 years old and had my class 4 before I had regular car license.

I'll bet that caused quite the scene.
I never owned a street bike until I was 32 but rode mini bikes and dirt bikes as a kid. My family was not very motorcycle friendly.
My daughter started riding behind me at 5 and got her endorsement at 17.

Reactions: alittleoff