For NSG370 owners with shift issues

Darkwing327

TJ Enthusiast
You ever fall down and hurt yourself only to find out when you heal that your bad back of 20 years is gone by magic!

Well, crossing my fingers and toes that is what happened to my Jeep today, and because it seems like such a far fetched anomaly, thought I would share on the off chance it helps someone else out.

I have a 2005 4.0 6 spd NSG370. For about 6 months now I have been having a mild grinding issue with reverse and notchiness from 1st to 2nd. Stuff we have all heard of with these trannys. It was to the point I have been starting out in 2nd to avoid making the issue worse and really babying reverse, making sure it is in 100%. I had full intentions of ordering synchro kits/reverse gear upgrade over the winter and getting the tools to split the case. Perhaps now I don't need to.

Here's the thing. I have had this Jeep for many years and I don't recall having any shift issues before these appeared suddenly this year, but never considered that I may have moved the sweet spot of where the trans sits on the skid plate and with that perhaps the shifter or something.

Today I installed a Tera2Low kit in the transfer case....did it in frame, so the only thing I did to the trans was unbolt it from the skid plate and raise it up with the jack and upon reassembly let it back down and bolt it up. Went for a test drive up and down my road to test the 2 low kit (great upgrade BTW) and to my surprise, ZERO issues on 2nd shift or reverse. So went for a drive around town...hit the stop lights...pulled into parking spots just to back out of them and again, ZERO issues.

A while back I dropped the skid plate to service the trans and TC. While I was in there I added a single washer on each bolt between the frame and skid plate to stop any rust from forming. Those washers are still there now, so they don't appear to be the issue. The only thing I can think that I did different today was due to a lapse in how I normally do things. Usually I put my big floor jack under the trans, undo the 4 nuts from the mount and take the pressure off while I drop the plate. Did that today as well. Then when I put back together, I use another floor jack to lift the plate up and line up the holes/studs and then lift the plate and trans together before fastening. Today though, I had the trans lifted high enough that I just hoisted the skid up by hand and fastened it to the frame solidly before letting the trans back down onto it. That's the only difference I can think of. Perhaps I was binding the mount somehow. Perhaps the problem will return.

Again, it seems too odd to believe, but I have just done about a hundred 1 - 2 and reverse shifts with nary a hiccup. I should point out that I do not have the rubber shift boot I hear can cause issues.

If this magic somehow disappears, I will update this thread.

Yep, that was kind of my thinking, to let others know so they can take a crack at it. Only a matter of minutes to bust it loose from the skid plate, lift it up and give it a good shake and reseat it to see if it helps. Knowing how much we tinker with our Jeeps, it's likely that many of us have unbolted things in and around this area over the years.

Was thinking more into this and should add that when the shifting issue arose, I removed the console and inner boot to see if there was any interference there with nothing obvious.

And the only other thing that may or not make a difference is the back end was two feet up on jackstands whilst I used the impact, wrenched on things and jostled the TC half on and off. So maybe everything shifted forward a bit which would make sense as 2nd and reverse are on the bottom of the shifter. Perhaps a check of the motor mounts are in order as well.

I am going back under tomorrow to check the rtv seal and tweak the linkage anyway, so will have a look with a mirror around the tunnel and see if I can find anything obvious.

Yep, that was kind of my thinking, to let others know so they can take a crack at it. Only a matter of minutes to bust it loose from the skid plate, lift it up and give it a good shake and reseat it to see if it helps. Knowing how much we tinker with our Jeeps, it's likely that many of us have unbolted things in and around this area over the years.

Was thinking more into this and should add that when the shifting issue arose, I removed the console and inner boot to see if there was any interference there with nothing obvious.

And the only other thing that may or not make a difference is the back end was two feet up on jackstands whilst I used the impact, wrenched on things and jostled the TC half on and off. So maybe everything shifted forward a bit which would make sense as 2nd and reverse are on the bottom of the shifter. Perhaps a check of the motor mounts are in order as well.

I am going back under tomorrow to check the rtv seal and tweak the linkage anyway, so will have a look with a mirror around the tunnel and see if I can find anything obvious.
I can tell you this...
We chased a similar issue in a JK (same tranny).
Had the update done. Kick out of reverse half the time. Was notchy..(more than the typical jeep notchy tranny)

It was all jammed up...the boot/console/tunnel was the problem. Rather where it sat was the problem.

Glad you seem to have got this remedied.

Reactions: DETOUR