For those of you who are forced to run a cold air intake, what filter do you use?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My GenRight fenders have forced me to run a cone style filter as there is no room for the factory airbox. After wheeling pretty hard in the desert yesterday, my filter is absolutely covered in dust.

This got me thinking, is there a preferred cone style filter that will filter out more particulates than others? I don't want any of this crap in my engine, and believe me when I say that out here in Arizona it's a friggin' dust bowl.

Whatever is cheap. I think I am currently running a fram for my windstar intake, if I remember it was maybe $10-15

Reactions: D M
Outerwears

CC40A548-917C-4FF1-B3CA-6D999A95D22D.jpeg

We got a cold air intake for my wife’s Camaro a few years back. It’s a washable cone filter but its a dry one. After using a oiled filter in my silverado many years ago, I didn’t like it. The dry cone filter works well. I started to get one of those out wear covers for it, but determined I didn’t really need it on that particular car. On an off road used vehicle, I’d use one.

Reactions: Wildman
I'm currently using an Amsoil cone filter with an Outerwears cover.

I have to move a few things before I can put the oem setup back on.

My GenRight fenders have forced me to run a cone style filter as there is no room for the factory airbox. After wheeling pretty hard in the desert yesterday, my filter is absolutely covered in dust.

This got me thinking, is there a preferred cone style filter that will filter out more particulates than others? I don't want any of this crap in my engine, and believe me when I say that out here in Arizona it's a friggin' dust bowl.

I have a Mopar CAI from the PO. I recently replaced the filter with a Mopar one so that I have a spare. part # 77070013. You can get from ebay or amazon. I got mine for $60 shipped. It's a dry filter, just wash as and when you need it. I don't like the oiled filters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MELIUH8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That said, I plan to put the OE stuff back, got a used one from @sourbluff (just came in this AM!).

Reactions: Chris
I use the Windstar intake as well, IIRC I went with an AC Delco, I saw somewhere they make the best paper filter for the stock airbox, so i figured their filter for the Windstar intake must be good. Was only like 15$ anyway

Thought you'd be running that 'cold air intake' to gain the unbelievable hp/tq gain . . . .

I think mine was a dealer option. The PO said "the jeep came with it that way: when I asked :rolleyes: I had a hard time finding a used factory airbox locally, just got mine from the forum. I also have TB spacer that does nothing other than make some noise :ROFLMAO: Will replace it over the winter after I get the OEM one cleaned up nice.

04.jpg

Early 90s 3.3 Buick century air box works great. 2x small P-clamps and a 3.5”-2.5” silicone reducer. Can even turn it into a cowl intake if you like.
3252C5F5-1FE6-4AC7-9731-5CF7E6F7DBF7.jpeg
550A67D4-FA0C-4622-A5E8-48D0293DF306.jpeg
039EA066-169F-48C4-A9E9-3DBF3B1E882F.jpeg