For those of you who are forced to run a cold air intake, what filter do you use?

The whistle is coming from the throttle body or how it mounts to the intake. Routing the intake into the cowl will dramatically amplify any intake noises you are hearing. You'll get some new ones too.

Wait, are you talking about a K&N panel filter or the entire tube with conical filter? Maybe you said already, sorry. Drinking, grilling dinner, drinking, and typing all at the same time. And drinking.
Full intake tube, “divider” and cone, at least the PO wasn’t a cheapskate, just un-informed.

yeah it got better when I took off the throttle body spacer. Not the end of the world just means I go 75 instead of 70 😉

I’m running an AEM dry filter and an outerwears pre filter cover

I also use a AEM Brute Force Dry Flow filter. No issues; no traces of dust in the tube.

The Outerwears pre-filters look interesting at about 1/2 the cost of the corresponding AEM pre-filter, but I'm having difficulty confirming the correct part number for the size of my Dry Flow filter.

I should probably go old school and telephone.

I also use a AEM Brute Force Dry Flow filter. No issues; no traces of dust in the tube.

The Outerwears pre-filters look interesting at about 1/2 the cost of the corresponding AEM pre-filter, but I'm having difficulty confirming the correct part number for the size of my Dry Flow filter.

I should probably go old school and telephone.
That’s how I found the correct part number to order myself. Good old phone call

That said, I plan to put the OE stuff back, got a used one from @sourbluff (just came in this AM!).
Looks like it made the trip just fine. Did you get filter too? Can’t tell from tracking if it was delivered or is sitting at post office.

Long term I plan for hi-line so picked up Spectre cowl intake from CL. Using the filter that came with it which I believe is oiled. What are risks from oiled filter I should look out for?

EC4761F1-A863-40B7-AD7C-185FB8161D5A.jpeg

so I was doing some digging, and I found this Specter intake and I am very confused. it seems rather pointless, cold air but not, takes up more space, WTF?

also found a THRO intake which seems useful but like a really $$$ version of a Windstar.

does anyone know anything about the Specter intake mentioned earlier in this thread? (shiny one)

The Spectre intake in my pic is no longer made. I found it NIB on CL. It is similar to the THOR you linked except it has inline filter inside the engine bay. Oh and yes has the guaranteed 5 hp shiny bonus!

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Is there any reason to pay 10 times the price for a THOR. As aposed to a make your own windstar.
I've done several Windstar versions and paid somewhere around $30 to do the last one. I like the air box @Lou posted, given how compact it looks. The challenge with a Windstar conversion is the canister and firewall cutting. It took me three variations before I was completely happy. A Purolator One filter was always used inside the housing.

Zlh09E7.jpg

QQz2AR6.jpg

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I've done several Windstar versions and paid somewhere around $30 to do the last one. I like the air box @Lou posted, given how compact it looks. The challenge with a Windstar conversion is the canister and firewall cutting. It took me three variations before I was completely happy. A Purolator One filter was always used inside the housing.

View attachment 204258
View attachment 204259
What did you change between your variations to improve it? Suggestions if you did it over again?

What did you change between your variations to improve it? Suggestions if you did it over again?
The first one I made the hole in the firewall just a little to high. As a result, the wire harness was so tight against the Windstar housing that it would force it out of the firewall.

On the second one I left the stock air tube a little longer, so I had a more straight shot coming off the 90° reducer elbow. I also moved the firewall hole down slightly.

For the third one, I switched to using Permatex Permapoxy Black Plastic Weld. The previous two were done with clear plastic epoxy, because I had it around from other repairs.

Overall it's a good modification, if your not squeamish about drilling a hole in the firewall. If I do another one, which I will, the only thing I would do differently would be to make some sort of bracket to keep the Windstar housing in place better. In all the variations I did, the housing basically floated and was only held in place by the 90° elbow hose clamps and the inlet tube thru the firewall.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Early 90s 3.3 Buick century air box works great. 2x small P-clamps and a 3.5”-2.5” silicone reducer. Can even turn it into a cowl intake if you like.
View attachment 204052
View attachment 204051
View attachment 204053
Thank you for the info and photos. I'll be copying this. :)

EDIT: Copied. My factory airbox no longer fit after installing highline fenders and this worked great. Probably the easiest "mod" you can do. Took about 40 minutes. Would have taken about 20 minutes if my garage didn't look like ground zero all the time. You have to shave the mounting tab off the engine side of the airbox for the 3.5" to 2.5" silicone coupling to fit.

I CAREFULLY used 40 grit on my tabletop belt sander to shave the tab off and then hand polished it with some 220 and 320 grit. Note I cut the intake tube too short and had to put longer screws between the airbox and the strut rod. I should have cut the intake tube right at the flexible area. (see last pic)

This is the coupling I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778W5HMF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20201129_124812.jpg

20201129_124758.jpg

20201129_124729.jpg

20201129_124720.jpg

20201129_124706.jpg

Air intake cut.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 204258
View attachment 204259
That is one clean engine bay.

Reactions: Irun