For us old guys with BPH (trouble peeing)

Jerry Bransford

Staff
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Yep I'm in that group and early afternoon today I'm getting a Urolift procedure. My urologist (a female no less!) will be inserting a tool up my crank and that tool also includes a camera, to insert four "stitches" (it turned out to be 8 stitches!) through my prostate to spread it open so it won't keep pinching the urethra closed and pushing on the bladder creating urgency. That is what makes it a bitch to pee, hard to completely drain the bladder, and makes it so you need to pee multiple times night resulting in poor sleep and waking up tired. I had a previous procedure called a PAE (prostatic arterial embolization) which helped but not much. This Urolift replaces more OMG procedures like the TURP which has lots of issues and side effects. The best thing about this is it really has no drawbacks or side effects so if you're a member of the BPH club, do check into the Urolift.

So I'll come home late afternoon with a frigging catheter and bag which I can pull out tomorrow. I cannot wait to get this over with. I'm told I'll be like a new man in 3-4 days. Did I say I cannot wait to get this over with? Plus I'm already getting a bit cranky since I can't drink anything like coffee or eat anything this morning.

Honestly, this is good to know since it'll affect all men at some point in our lives. Sooner for some than others. The catheter part really sucks, when I think about it. Had friends and family who've dealt with that process.....hurts my heart thinking about it! Life is a B. 🥃

Good luck Jerry, super straight forward procedure.
44B7608A-3C63-4155-8BAE-2759464D99A7.jpeg

No BPH at my age but I did get a taste of it a few weeks ago when I had a cold and was piling on about 3 different decongestants at the same time. Turns out they do something with the bladder outlet that causes difficulty urinating and those with BPH may not be able to urinate at all. It was a little alarming to rush to the toilet with an urgent need to go only to have to push it out like a constipated dump.

Hope you get the relief you're looking for, and good to know there are options.

My dad had bladder cancer some years back and went through a few years of getting a cystoscopies and 3 BCG treatments every 3 months, both of which take the same route and were less than pleasant.

Yep I'm in that group and early afternoon today I'm getting a Urolift procedure. My urologist (a female no less!) will be inserting a tool up my crank and that tool also includes a camera, to insert four "stitches" through my prostate to spread it open so it won't keep pinching the urethra closed and pushing on the bladder creating urgency. That is what makes it a bitch to pee, hard to completely drain the bladder, and makes it so you need to pee multiple times night resulting in poor sleep and waking up tired. I had a previous procedure called a PAE (prostatic arterial embolization) which helped but not much. This Urolift replaces more OMG procedures like the TURP which has lots of issues and side effects. The best thing about this is it really has no drawbacks or side effects so if you're a member of the BPH club, do check into the Urolift.

So I'll come home late afternoon with a frigging catheter and bag which I can pull out tomorrow. I cannot wait to get this over with. I'm told I'll be like a new man in 3-4 days. Did I say I cannot wait to get this over with? Plus I'm already getting a bit cranky since I can't drink anything like coffee or eat anything this morning.
Best of luck Jerry. Glad it's getting 'handled'. Is she pretty?;)

Gents,

As a prostate cancer survivor - going on 9 years clean - I cannot over-stress the absolute necessity to get regular prostate exams and a PSA test (prostate specific antigens, if I remember). They used to recommend age 50+ but I think that has been lowered. That shit will sneak up on you with ZERO symptoms, other than the aforementioned 'PEE' problems. And, it's not a deadly disease if caught early. As a rule, many men die with prostate cancer, very few die from it. There really is NO excuse to die from that nasty killer, or explain to loved ones that you 'just didn't get around to it'.
Guess I should include colonoscopy in the lecture.. so.. that, too.

Anecdotally - my first prostate exam was unnerving, being a certified virgin, and a shy guy. When I got home from the doctor's office, the wife asked, "How'd it go?", with a wry smile. I replied with, "You know, that Dr. Nxxx is a nice looking guy (pause) - and a sharp dresser, too (all true)." As you can imagine, her look was priceless.
When I told her I was scheduling a monthly exam, she about puked.:sick::sick::sick::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get well soon, Jerry.

Rough night they're making me stay overnight. They ended up placing 8 implants into my prostate, 2-4 is typical. That caused bleeding so they placed something up in there to put pressure on the prostate to stop the (minor) bleeding. Unfortunately that pressure makes me feel like my bladder is extra full and It's like I REALLY have to pee even though the bladder is empty since there's a catheter keeping it empty. It basically really sucks right now lol.

This not what all the YouTube videos said it'd be like right now. I expected to go home right afterward and have a cocktail. 🤣

Who would have guessed your prostate and urolift procedure would have so much in common to the Jeeps we drive. I’ll just change xyz quick before I head out to the trails and NOPE, it ends up taking an entire day.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Rough night they're making me stay overnight. They ended up placing 8 implants into my prostate, 2-4 is typical. That caused bleeding so they placed something up in there to put pressure on the prostate to stop the (minor) bleeding. Unfortunately that pressure makes me feel like my bladder is extra full and It's like I REALLY have to pee even though the bladder is empty since there's a catheter keeping it empty. It basically really sucks right now lol.

This not what all the YouTube videos said it'd be like right now. I expected to go home right afterward and have a cocktail. 🤣

Damn, sounds like they put the ol Ding-a-Ling through the ringer.

Get well soon!

Well I'm doing well now, glad to be home and done with the Urolift procedure. It actually normally requires just a couple hours and then you're sent home, being kept overnight is not a common requirement for this procedure. I'm already seeing a dramatic improvement with the usual symptoms of BPH, no delay on the stream any more and its volume is back to normal.

And @knotkewl I'm pretty sure even at this early stage after the procedure I would now have no problem writing my name in the snow. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wishes for a quick recovery @Jerry Bransford!

Health issues, pathological or psychological, small or more important are always the bell that rings to bring us back to what's really important.

Well that and Jeeps of course... 😛

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Well I'm doing well now, glad to be home and done with the Urolift procedure. It actually normally requires just a couple hours and then you're sent home, being kept overnight is not a common requirement for this procedure. I'm already seeing a dramatic improvement with the usual symptoms of BPH, no delay on the stream any more and its volume is back to normal.

And @knotkewl I'm pretty sure even at this early stage after the procedure I would now have no problem writing my name in the snow. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I can write my name in the snow. Morse code. Dots and dashes.