Ford 8.8 axle, should the knuckle be offset?

Johnie Burns

So I told my parts guy I needed a Ford 8.8 rear end out of a 96 to 2001 Ford Explorer and this is what he brought me. The left side is 17 in the right side is 20. Shouldn't the knuckle be centered for it to be a good swap in a 2000 TJ?
1523222478173159274351.jpg

The TJ axle yokes aren't perfectly centered either (but they're at least in line with the driveshafts) but the 8. 8's yoke (pinion shaft) is more off to the side which makes the driveshaft work into a sideways angle too in addition to the normal up-down angle, producing compound angles for the driveshaft u-joints to have to work into.

That's not a major problem but it's one of the reasons I'm no fan of the 8.8 swap. The other reasons being the huge pumpkin that reduces ground clearance as well as all of the work/fabrication/welding involved in getting it ready to bolt into a TJ.

Like Jerry said, they all are. Mine is offset and I drove around on the stock driveshaft for a year without vibration or excessive wear. I know the fabricator did spend quite a bit of time dialing in the right pinion angle to get rid of the vibration it started with though. After I got my SYE and new driveshaft just a month ago its still vibration free so make sure you are prepared to put in some tuning time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
Like Jerry said, they all are. Mine is offset and I drove around on the stock driveshaft for a year without vibration or excessive wear. I know the fabricator did spend quite a bit of time dialing in the right pinion angle to get rid of the vibration it started with though. After I got my SYE and new driveshaft just a month ago its still vibration free so make sure you are prepared to put in some tuning time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
How in the world did you get the vibration out. My rear yoke is 16.1* and DS is 18.1* but can’t get it out bc of the offset I’m guessing. Wonder if I can unbolt the motor and tranny mount to maybe crank it a bit straighter?? Vibration is at 65mph+

How in the world did you get the vibration out. My rear yoke is 16.1* and DS is 18.1* but can’t get it out bc of the offset I’m guessing. Wonder if I can unbolt the motor and tranny mount to maybe crank it a bit straighter?? Vibration is at 65mph+
Did you install an SYE, DC shaft, and adjustable control arms?

There are two things Jerry does not like, Ford 8.8 and High Lift jacks. There should be a warning for everyone here that if you mention either one, Jerry is going to let you know he does not like either one. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Have been very happy with my 8.8 swap over the years. I'd recommend the c-clip eliminator kit from yukon but it is pricey.

I am happy with mine, the Artec kit makes it fool proof on alignment of brackets and I just got done with the eliminator kit. There is nothing wrong choosing to go with a 8.8 for your project.

Last edited by a moderator:

You should not be more than 1 degree off. I had vibes, but found out it was my Adams driveshaft. Went with a Tom Woods, and all good past 80+. I am running 24 at axle and 25 at DS.

There are two things Jerry does not like, Ford 8.8 and High Lift jacks. There should be a warning for everyone here that if you mention either one, Jerry is going to let you know he does not like either one. :D

And we all know what they said about "OPINIONS". And yes I have some also and a lot of them stink too.