Ford 8.8 Axle Swap Info / FAQ

So I’m looking at a 99 Ford Explorer v6 4.0 8.8. Would this be a good swap axle?

You'll find some people love the idea of a 8.8 swap, while others don't.

I am in the camp that wouldn't personally ever do this swap.

A built Dana 35 will handle 35" tires just fine, so unless you plan on running bigger than 35s (which you shouldn't unless you have DEEP pockets), this axle swap is a waste of money IMHO.

You'll find some people love the idea of a 8.8 swap, while others don't.

I am in the camp that wouldn't personally ever do this swap.

A built Dana 35 will handle 35" tires just fine, so unless you plan on running bigger than 35s (which you shouldn't unless you have DEEP pockets), this axle swap is a waste of money IMHO.
Interesting.. what super 35 kit do you recommend?

Interesting.. what super 35 kit do you recommend?

Revolution.

30 spline axles, an ARB (or similar) locker, and you'll be running 35s without any issues at all.

And of course 35s are as big as you should run on any TJ with factory axles and without a stretch.

Revolution.

30 spline axles, an ARB (or similar) locker, and you'll be running 35s without any issues at all.

And of course 35s are as big as you should run on any TJ with factory axles and without a stretch.
Good to know I’m gonna look into this. I’m looking at doing gears so I want to try and do as much as I can one time so I don’t have to go back in

Revolution.

Do you recommend going with chroms? Or non chrom is good?

Do you recommend going with chroms? Or non chrom is good?

Yes! The Revolution Super 35 kit includes chromoly axle shafts. Revolution is widely regarded as the best axle shafts you can get. Also the only ones I'm aware of that are still made in the U.S.

Take a look back at Chris’s big post on 8.8s the D-4. (Which will be on the inside door panel) tells you that the axle has a limited slip and has 4:10gears. There are several types of axles under the explorer. ALSO take a look at the cover plate of the axle and it will have some codes that say 4L11. That meaning limited slip 4:11 gears.

As Chris said there is a lot of debate about which is the better option.

I priced out all the parts before and it comes out pretty close depending on what you are doing to the Dana 35 or the 8.8.
And the HUGE other price point is if you can do the cutting and welding yourself. If you have to pay someone to cut the old brackets off your 8.8 and then weld on the new TJ brackets then the Super 35 is your better route.

I bought a use 8.8 for $50 with the plan to add a LSD & 4.56 gears along with building a HP30 for my daughters TJ. BUT I have a plasma cutter and welder and can setup my own gears so all I am out is the cost of parts. All these things need to be looked at before you decide which why you want to go.

Reactions: 808jeeper
As Chris said there is a lot of debate about which is the better option.

I priced out all the parts before and it comes out pretty close depending on what you are doing to the Dana 35 or the 8.8.
And the HUGE other price point is if you can do the cutting and welding yourself. If you have to pay someone to cut the old brackets off your 8.8 and then weld on the new TJ brackets then the Super 35 is your better route.

I bought a use 8.8 for $50 with the plan to add a LSD & 4.56 gears along with building a HP30 for my daughters TJ. BUT I have a plasma cutter and welder and can setup my own gears so all I am out is the cost of parts. All these things need to be looked at before you decide which why you want to go.
Yup that’s what I was thinking. I’m comfortable cutting off all the old brackets but welding them on is where I would have to pay someone. And I still would have to re gear and add a locker to the 8.8. Kinda leaning to the super35 at this point

Yup that’s what I was thinking. I’m comfortable cutting off all the old brackets but welding them on is where I would have to pay someone. And I still would have to re gear and add a locker to the 8.8. Kinda leaning to the super35 at this point

If you're regearing either the 8.8 or Dana 35 axle that is a wash. Paying someone to weld on the new brackets would cost $$ about $200-300. You have a SE so it has 4.10 gears right now. Unless you are going to go to lower gears you can find a 8.8 with 4.10 gears but they are rare. And again adding the locker to either axle is a wash as far as cost other than the S35 choices are only 3-4 lockers.

If you are THINKING about a engine swap in future then I would seriously think about the 8.8.

If you're regearing either the 8.8 or Dana 35 axle that is a wash. Paying someone to weld on the new brackets would cost $$ about $200-300. You have a SE so it has 4.10 gears right now. Unless you are going to go to lower gears you can find a 8.8 with 4.10 gears but they are rare. And again adding the locker to either axle is a wash as far as cost other than the S35 choices are only 3-4 lockers.

If you are THINKING about a engine swap in future then I would seriously think about the 8.8.
All good things to know. I’m planning on keeping this Jeep for a while so u want to build it right

Chromoly is a buzz word. Those axles are hardened alloy and better than any of the "chromoly" axles you'll find. Like I said, it's just a buzz word companies use unfortunately.

Because the outer bearings ride directly on the shaft surface, the Dana 35 needs case hardened axle shafts like 1541H. Not cromoly, which would eventually allow grooves to wear into the shaft.

IMO, a Super 35 is a far better choice than the fat heavy 8.8.

Because the outer bearings ride directly on the shaft surface, the Dana 35 needs case hardened axle shafts like 1541H. Not cromoly, which would eventually allow grooves to wear into the shaft.

That's right, I knew someone had the proper explanation. Chromoly is one of those buzzwords that sells things even though most people don't know what it is.

X2 on the Super 35. I have no idea why anyone would swap in a Ford 8.8 these days, especially when the Dana 35 is completely up to the task.

X2 on the Super 35. I have no idea why anyone would swap in a Ford 8.8 these days, especially when the Dana 35 is completely up to the task.

It's a carry over from the leaf sprung YJ and XJ crowd. The swap is easier for them, but they still end up with a fat heavy axle that doesn't fit well. It doesn't make sense for a TJ.

It's a carry over from the leaf sprung YJ and XJ crowd. The swap is easier for them, but they still end up with a fat heavy axle that doesn't fit well. It doesn't make sense for a TJ.

That makes sense, I didn't think about the YJ / XJ crowd.

It doesn't make any sense for a TJ, I agree.

Yes it was very popular with the YJ/XJ Crowd and is a good swap for them.

I'm pretty sure the S35 kit works on the YJ/XJ Dana 35 as well. If so, even those guys can have a good rear axle that isn't fat and heavy.

Reactions: Chris
That's right, I knew someone had the proper explanation. Chromoly is one of those buzzwords that sells things even though most people don't know what it is.

https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit
Cool so this is the kit to go with. I always thought the chromoly was the best...