Ford 8.8 install and opinions?

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
Has anyone done a write up on what it takes to swap in the Ford 8.8 for those of use who are considering doing it and need to know what we're getting into? And what are the pros and cons of this option over the dana 44?

The more knowledgable folks who do some serious wheeling (i.e. Blaine) will tell you that the 8.8 is not a good swap, which I agree with after looking into it.

If you're not planning on running bigger than 35" tires, then you can get by just fine with a Dana 35 though if you run a Super 35 kit.

8.8 axles used to be the rage for replacing the Dana 35. Then it was finally figured out that the 8.8 is a pig of a heavy axle, it reduces ground clearance, it's not NEARLY as cheap to get it installed as some will lead you to believe, plus it adds an additional sideways angle to the driveshaft since its pinion shaft is not positioned directly behind the transfer case is is with a Dana 35 or Dana 44.

If TJ Dana 44 axles are hard to find, or if you don't really want to have to pull your Dana 35 if you can avoid it, I'd go for a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear. There are some Jeep owners who like to continue spreading the rumor a quality Super 35 is not worth installing but they're just blowing smoke trying to sound like they know more than they really do. A quality Super 35 kit includes a full carrier locker and 1541H 30 spline axle shafts that are actually slightly stronger than the carbon steel 30 spline shafts that come in the TJ's Dana 44. The Dana 35 even has the exact same axle tubes the Dana 44 does, they are cut from the very same tube stock.

If you install a good quality Super 35 kit, like from Revolution Gear, your Super 35 equipped Dana 35 will be more than worthy of doing very tough trails with 35" tires. The Super 35 kit was thoroughly tested in Johnson Valley, home of the King of the Hammers, before introduction. It's a totally worthy kit. Forum member @mrblaine had a significant role in its design and hardcore rock crawling testing many years ago.

I know it's not exactly what you asked but I drank gallons of the Super35 Koolaid & still haven’t puked it back up so I’m sticking to my story that it’s a great option if you follow the rules (35 inch or smaller tires & don’t drive like you just robbed a liquor store).

Thanks for the input, saved me lots of useless work! I am swapping in a 5.9L V8 currently and don't know how well the stock Dana 35's would hold up. Currently on 33's, but once those are worn out I'll put 35's under the TJ. So with the added power of the V8 and the heavier resistance of the larger tire how would the Super 35 kit hold up? I don't drive wreck-less, but I do put my vehicles through what they were made for. My TJ is mostly my daily but also building it into my weekend off road rig (eventually overland, some crawling, and general camping).

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
Dangit! Bookmarked yet another thread! I was looking for used Dana 44 sets, but now I've got Super 35 kits to price out, too.

If I picked up the Revolution Gear Super 35 kit, do I have to stick with their locker or can I use something else of my choosing?

Thanks for the input, saved me lots of useless work! I am swapping in a 5.9L V8 currently and don't know how well the stock Dana 35's would hold up. Currently on 33's, but once those are worn out I'll put 35's under the TJ. So with the added power of the V8 and the heavier resistance of the larger tire how would the Super 35 kit hold up? I don't drive wreck-less, but I do put my vehicles through what they were made for. My TJ is mostly my daily but also building it into my weekend off road rig (eventually overland, some crawling, and general camping).

Yes, a Super 35 axle with 35s should be just fine with a 5.9 V8. It's actually a very strong axle when you build it that way. Basically the same thing as a Dana 44 (since you'll have 30 splines), the difference being that the ring and pinion on the Dana 35 is a bit smaller than the Dana 44.

You can break anything if you try hard enough.

If you get that 5.9 installed and start dropping the clutch and lighting the tires up, then you can probably break even a Dana 44 at that point.

I wouldn't worry about it, that's for sure. My last TJ was supercharged and put down plenty of power. Granted I had a Dana 44 rear end, but again, that's 30 splines, same as the Super 35 which is 30 splines as well.

I like mine too, I started it about 5 years ago on one of my TJs, after the youngsters (twins) I am now fine tuning it. I am the type that likes to fab, build and fit, and learning something along the way. As a kid I liked building legos, not playing with them. lol. There are some good points here that were not deal breakers 5 years ago. If you have the time to source out the materials and parts, you can do this on the cheap. Like every jeep mod, its all in the owners passion. The fact that your looking to do this because of the V8 swap is a separate fact itself. Thats why I did it in the long haul. I dont have my 5.3 swap yet, but that was always my intention and why I put the 8.8 in my Jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreverStevens
@Nathan Stanfield and @TimboSlice you guys didn't have (or ever have) any issues with driveline after your install? And to anyone else, what are the major differences between the Dana 35, 44, and the 8.8? Don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places, but can't see much of a breakdown between the 3.

@Nathan Stanfield and @TimboSlice you guys didn't have (or ever have) any issues with driveline after your install? And to anyone else, what are the major differences between the Dana 35, 44, and the 8.8? Don't know if I'm just not looking in the right places, but can't see much of a breakdown between the 3.

I haven’t had ay driveline issues since I did the swap almost a year ago. I was a little intimidated by how much work I thought it would be, but everything was simple.
I was even able to sell the old Dana 35 for $400.
The only thing I would have done different is get 4.56 gears instead of 4.10, but I, happy.

Haters!

I have a 8.8 I like it.
Here how easy it was for me.
I called the local 4x4 shop and asked them if they could get or had any Dana 44's, They said they didn't have any, but when they do they are too overpriced because there are few of them that fit and they were more rare than the 8.8.

I told them I wanted a 8.8 with 4:56 gears and an elocker all ready to go and bolt in. They charged me 2300 bucks, but a 1000 of it was the elocker, so they got a 8.8 for me and geared it for 1300 dollars. So if you don't care about an elocker that was cheaper than me finding a Dana 44. In fact the cheapest Dana 44 I could find in Arizona when I was looking for one was 4K from a wrecking yard there were none for sale in my area by private owner that I could find.

I have had my rear diff since last summer and like it. I feel comfortable that it will hold up. A bonus is free rear disk brakes.

You are going to get conflicting data, I am sure, but I used to have a YJ before my TJ and I had a 8.8 in that too, and now I have one in my TJ. I have no regrets.

One thing to consider is the rear diff is slightly narrower than the stock Dana 44 and Dana 35, but it is not noticeable by looking at it, and the pumpkin is slightly off center so your driveling is not straight back from the transfer case. It too is not an issue, but I do recommend a SYE. In my case I already had one, so it wasn't an issue of cost.

If you don't have an SYE you may need to add $500 to the price of the rear end. So that may be a factor, but in my case it was way worth it.

I originally set mine up with a larger lift and less knowledge than now. I am swapping out that lift and dropping my Jeep down 2" on the springs. Currently I am getting mine square and setting pinion angle with all new suspension components. I also installed a OX cable locker in my 8.8, and running 4.88 gears. To answer your question, I didnt have any issues with the driveline, I did install a SYE and DC driveshaft also. I recommend the Artec truss kit. It really takes alot of the pain out of the cheaper kits. If your able to tack weld you can setup this axle for a TJ suspension. I can weld(kinda), but chose to tack my setup in place using ARTECs detailed instructions, then had a buddy who is a pro welder burn it all in. I highly recommend East Coast Gear Supply for 8.8 swap parts and knowledge, they have everything including parking brake cables to adapters. If you would like, PM me and i can give you my number and we can text or chat with any questions. I dont mind talking about any of this type of stuff.

The diffrence in the 35, 44, and 8.8 are depending on how much you would like to spend and how much you would like to do on your own. You can put a kit in your 35, you can try and source a overpriced 44 that is TJ ready, or you can build a 8.8. Or buy one prebuilt. You will get disc brakes out of an 8.8 as well, and i believe with most 44s. Some love this idea (me) some dont really care. Its a much better brake setup IMO and in the event you do bust a shaft in your 8.8 for some goofy reason, your shafts wont walk away even if the c clip eliminator is NOT done. You will have this issue with the 35 unless C clip setup is modified. There are c clip eliminator kits for these axles that usually come with chromoly shafts. I do not run one.

This is my opinion, if your planning a V8 swap, id stay away from investing money into your 35. If your doing your own V8 swap I dont see any reason why you cant build your own axle to your liking. I swear I almost spend as much time reading and sourcing as I do building. I am in Wisconsin, not a very Jeep friendly state, so I spend alot of time in the shop.

IMG_3478.jpg

Rear Axle.jpg

Rear Axle2.jpg

Rear Ring Gear Dial.jpg