Ford 8.8 / TJ bracket kit

Disclaimer: I just got back into wheelin and it has been 25+ years since I was doing gears professionally.

But, I don't get the whole 8.8 thing. Is it because it is cheap to come by? It has a weak limited slip, isn't ridiculously strong, has an odd offset, and needs a bunch of fabrication to install into a TJ. Reason I ask is years ago we all built 44's, Ford 9", Dana 60, etc. The 8.8 wasn't even a consideration.

That said, if the S35 is going to do all you need for your wheelin style, why not? You could get it installed literally in a couple hours, less if the backlash sets up correctly the first time. Add an extra 1-2 hours if running an ARB for compressor and plumbing install.
No doubt. The gears would have to be redone. I don't know how. Closest guy I know and trust is two hours away, So jeep has to be towed. Not sure of price to set up existing gears.

oh thats for new gears. my bad.ill have to call and ask how much he would charge to reset gears. and install a locker. Jerry what locker do you run in your jeeps rear end axle
I installed a Detroit Locker into my first TJ's rear Dana 44, my replacement TJ has f/r Rubicon air lockers.

im guessing the air locker would be better choice for daily driver ?
Some people believe so but I was perfectly happy driving my TJ around every day with its rear Detroit Locker. For me, it was well behaved enough that I still miss it. You can't go wrong with a selectable locker but I certainly don't look back on my previous Detroit Locker with anything but good memories. I would only consider a Detroit Locker to be a less-than-desirable choice in areas that get icy or snow-covered roads during the winter, something you're not likely to see there in MS.

But you can never go wrong with a selectable locker like an ARB, Rubicon, or E-Locker. :)

Last edited:
4.56 will be much better than your planned 4.10's.
4.10 "works" with 33" tires, 4.0L and 5-speed transmission, but it basically sucks compared to the 4.56. I regeared to 4.10 for 33" tires about 16-17 years ago before I knew better and within a few days, I was was really pissed at myself for not having listened to those who kept recommending 4.56. The 4.10 gearing basically sucked with 33's, it was barely ok on flat ground but I had to downshift continually to get up even the slightest of grades.

yea maybe someday i will be able to re-gear. If i went to 4.88 would
that be good for 33 and 35s ??

It would be great for both. I'm actually planning on Goodyear MT/R 33's and 4.88 with my 5-speed because I like it a little lower. I've talked to a few others that run that setup and they love it as well, and claim that they wouldn't want 35's unless they had 5.13 to go with it.

However, 4.88 is still a very good ratio for 35's and you can't go wrong with it at all. That's the most popular ratio with 35's and the 5-speed.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Is there any reason one of these setups wouldn't work on an MJ with a Dana 35? I have a long wheelbase one I was looking at putting an 8.8 into ( I actually already have it, 3.73 LSD) but I am looking for towing and payload capacity rather than off road capability on this one. A long bed MJ has a 120" wheelbase, and the Dana 44 heavy spring units were rated to tow 5000lbs and had a 2200lb load capacity stock. I have a small camper I want to tow with it, this S35 may be the ticket.

Is there any reason one of these setups wouldn't work on an MJ with a Dana 35? I have a long wheelbase one I was looking at putting an 8.8 into ( I actually already have it, 3.73 LSD) but I am looking for towing and payload capacity rather than off road capability on this one. A long bed MJ has a 120" wheelbase, and the Dana 44 heavy spring units were rated to tow 5000lbs and had a 2200lb load capacity stock. I have a small camper I want to tow with it, this S35 may be the ticket.

What year is it? Anything before 1991 I believe had bolt on axle shafts and 1991-06 had c-clips. Or maybe it was 1990-06. I'm not sure. As long as you have c-clips, you should be able to do it.

What year is it? Anything before 1991 I believe had bolt on axle shafts and 1991-06 had c-clips. Or maybe it was 1990-06. I'm not sure. As long as you have c-clips, you should be able to do it.

Its an 88, but I have 2 other 89's. My sources show 89 to 92 (last year) had C clips, and 86 to 89 had non C clips. I suppose the 88 is a no go, but I have 2 89s sitting here. Looks like there may have been one of the famous mid year breaks (like some of the 96 XJs have 29 spline 8.25s), so I assume if I have a C clip on one of the 89s the S35 may work. Thanks for info on non TJ.

Last edited:
It would work but if you get a 30 spline set up, you will need to run a Detroit or ARB locker. Do you really need a locker? That and I can't see 30 spline axles adding more towing/load capacity. The heavier rating of the 44 model is likely due to stiffer/thicker leafs and probably lower gearing.

I believe it will work. I found the S35s for sale and they list applications for XJs, and other than the mounting brackets, they are the same. The Metric Ton package does have an extra leaf and I have an extra already as part of a 3.5" lift kit. The 4.0L auto came with 3.55 axles and the manual came with 3.07s. I believe the 4.0L HO, an AX15 and a 3.73 ratio with either the Dana 44, 8.8 or possibly this S35 with should be sufficient on 31x10.50 tires. I dont wheel it, a long bed MJ would be terrible on a typical Jeep trail because of the long rear end. However, my driveway is half dirt and almost straight up. Every time it rains I have to stick it in 4wd to get up, if I had a locker in the rear I could probably cruise right up most of the time without touching the 4wd. I dont plan to overload the bed, but any increase in axle strength/diameter should help reduce the strain on an already notoriously weak axle. I should think that towing strain would be comparable to running larger tires and wheeling. I don't plan on towing a 10000lb trailer, my Airstream weighs 3000lbs empty, I just want to beef it up so I dont have any problems.